wasppandd

My experience with roadside assist

I'm new to the RV world and one the first things I looked at was roadside assistance and decided to go with FMCA. A few days ago my toad quit while driving down I 75 and I used my FMCA app to find the roadside assit number and made the call. The representative at FMCA was very good and promptly transferred my call to the company that manages the roadside assistance. I was holding for 12 plus minutes (not unusual in my experience) and then gave my info to the nice lady and then awaited my text for the arrival info on the tow truck. After 30 minutes of waiting and no text I decided to call back and again used the FMCA number (I didn't have the service provider number) and they again transferred my call. This time I waited 15 minutes listening to that scratchy "on hold" music over the phone. The very apologetic representative said the tow truck would there within 45 minutes and it was on the way. A few seconds later I received a confirmation text with the company name and drivers name. Now that a significant amount of time had gone by I called the garage that was selected to see if they would be open when we arrived...they would be closed. The driver arrived and we loaded the vehicle on the tilt bed and I asked if he knew of a nearby garage that I could be taken to that might be open. He made a call and found a shop that was further away but open and could get my vehicle in quick for diagnosis. The problem of course was it was not the original destination and we had to get authorization to change the towing to location. Again I called FMCA and they were very helpful but informed me that were having trouble connecting to the service provider and to go ahead and take the vehicle to the other garage location. The driver also could not reach the dispatcher to get authorization and finally I said l would would pay for the tow so we could get going. We arrived at the garage but the driver didn't take credit cards but would call his fast food fish restaurant and process the $50 tow bill through the restaurant. It's all good I felt the $50 was a fair deal and it got me out of a jam.The driver went on his way and the garage got my vehicle right in and called me a uber so I could get home about 20 miles away. Four plus hours later I got back to the RV and scraped up the cash (didn't take cards) and sent the driver on his way. Now this may appear to be a complaint but really i'm just wondering if this experience is anything similar to others out there? I have only used a towing service maybe 3 or 4 times in my life and this seems to my experience....a lot of waiting, missed or inability to connect with a provider and wishing I had universal language translator! 

Well, yes and no.  No matter who the provider is, your still at the mercy of several people & luck.  Depending on weekday, weekend, holiday, time of day, location, I have had an hour to 12!  

I would ask for the tow fee back and consider my self lucky!

Although your story should not be the norm, it usually is. Not at all unusual for the tow truck driver to not accept CC's. One small lesson to learn, is to demand a confirmation number and write it down on the first call, many times your cell number is misdialed either due to miscommunications on our part, or simply a misdial by the provider. I play the organ, and recently received a text by a bereaved person instructing what songs to play for the funeral. I did not know the person texting nor the deceased, I texted back with my condolences and to inform the texter to check the number and resend the text to the appropriate person. Things happen sometimes not to our liking, and while you are patiently sitting on the side of the road seems like the time that it always does. Better luck in the future, keep smiling hope you have many happy tales, and trails.:)

I considered trying to get the $50 back but with no receipt and only a $50 transaction on my cc statement at a fast food fish restaurant  I figured that was a non starter. You have to keep smiling I got to meet some interesting folks and the truck was done the next day at a very fair price!

When we bought our membership to FMCA and FMCA Road Assistance we believed that FMCA was an honorable organization. We have had a very negative experience and will no longer buy a membership to FMCA. We broke down south of Topeka Kansas on a turnpike. My husband reported it was the serpentine belt. Many phone calls and texts later regarding model of motorhome, vin # of home, engine type and workhorse chassis, a repair man appeared 4 hours later. The repairman spent 1.75 hours trying to put the wrong serpentine belt on. My husband measured the belt and it was thirteen inches short. He was given the wrong belt.  The repairman decided he needed to get a different belt. We had to pay for his mileage to and from (he came from Missouri 1.5 hours away), weekend labor prices for trying to put on the wrong part, etc. We left the side of the turnpike 6.5 hours later with a bill of $904.00. Talked with FMCA, Safe Ride Road Assistance (FMCA contractor) and Kirk’s Mobile Repair Service. Why did I have to pay for labor time when the wrong part was sent? The repair man stated, had he known it was a motorhome he would have passed on the call. I am very disappointed FMCA Admin stated to me that they thought it was handled properly after I complained that a repair service which knew nothing about motorhomes was sent to repair the home. I am very disappointed FMCA refused to endorse any compensation. If you have any questions, contact me at mdylake70@gmail.com.

16 hours ago, sallylang said:

When we bought our membership to FMCA and FMCA Road Assistance we believed that FMCA was an honorable organization. We have had a very negative experience and will no longer buy a membership to FMCA. We broke down south of Topeka Kansas on a turnpike. My husband reported it was the serpentine belt. Many phone calls and texts later regarding model of motorhome, vin # of home, engine type and workhorse chassis, a repair man appeared 4 hours later. The repairman spent 1.75 hours trying to put the wrong serpentine belt on. My husband measured the belt and it was thirteen inches short. He was given the wrong belt.  The repairman decided he needed to get a different belt. We had to pay for his mileage to and from (he came from Missouri 1.5 hours away), weekend labor prices for trying to put on the wrong part, etc. We left the side of the turnpike 6.5 hours later with a bill of $904.00. Talked with FMCA, Safe Ride Road Assistance (FMCA contractor) and Kirk’s Mobile Repair Service. Why did I have to pay for labor time when the wrong part was sent? The repair man stated, had he known it was a motorhome he would have passed on the call. I am very disappointed FMCA Admin stated to me that they thought it was handled properly after I complained that a repair service which knew nothing about motorhomes was sent to repair the home. I am very disappointed FMCA refused to endorse any compensation. If you have any questions, contact me at mdylake70@gmail.com.

The wife and I had similar experience we had to pay for a tow out of our pocket , we couldnt call the assistance # because of bad connection and I turned in bills to them and they refuseto pay. Now i did have it towed to my home which was 147 miles and if they dont want to pay for the whole thing thats fine, but they should have payed for the cost that would have been to a shop. I will be done with them.

Good Sams Roadside Assistance Platinum Plus pays for the first 100 miles and the customer pays for any extra.  I believe AAA has a program that will pay for the first 100 miles.   Roadside Assistance Programs come in different levels of service and one chooses they level and cost of the service they wish to cover.

CharlielAm,  you are correct..in regards to a shop of your choice.  It's the "to my house" part, that I was referring to.  I have had 2 tows in 53 years, blown tranny and engine fire!  Both times with GS.