DougKey

Microsoft Streets & Trips with Delome LT-40 GPS

For years I've been using Delorme Street Atlas with its Earthmate LT-40 GPS. I recently purchased the MS Streets and Trips program as I liked the features it offers. Problem is I can not get it to work with the LT-40 GPS. I've downloaded the Delorme Serial Emulator, which was supposed to be the fix, but I cannot get it to work. I've not been successful using the MS web site. Has anyone had any luck using the LT-40 with Streets and Trips?

Guest 2driftrs

Unfortunately not, but there's a relatively cheap solution. Check the Internet for old software. Pick up the 2006 version of Streets and Trips with the Microsoft GPS unit. We did for around $16. The 2006 GPS unit is the same as what they boxed in 2009. It was worth the $16 not to have to mess around with USB drivers.

Word of caution - - if you have a plug-in device on your laptop that uses a USB to serial driver and you're running Windows Vista (perish the thought), don't use that particular USB connection for anything else. If I plugged either of my GPS units into the one USB slot I use for my engine analyzer, the GPS will assign a new port number, making my analyzer fail. I then have to go through a long song and dance to reassign the port. This weekend, I upgraded to Windows 7, so maybe it will behave better, but I haven't tried it yet.

I have both of these programs with their respective GPS receiver. You are right ,they do not work well with the reciprocal receiver. I first was introduced to Delorme back in 1999 going down the inland waterways from Chicago to Mobile. The program was extremely accurate to navigate the river centers. The county division lines were ALWAYS right down the deepest part of the river, so it could be used very effectively to navigate in the fog. I have a video of us going down the mississippi in pea soup fog with it and the radar while all the barges were stopped. I have since got used to Microsoft but have recently bought both to decide which to use now that we are land sailors.

Guest Wayne77590

I purchased MS S&T back in 2005 after it took me 15 hours to go 150 miles evacuating from hurricane Rita. I picked up the full blown GPS version. I used it a couple time traveling in the car when the DW was driving. (She always drives HER car.) I had heard about Co-Pilot being so wonderful that I purchased it a few years later. Both GPS Antennas work with MS S&T. As stated, you should be able to pick up a cheap Antenna for MS S&T on the internet.

I no longer use my Laptop GPS but I do want to keep the antenna in case of an emergency. I always carry it with us on trips. I use MS S&T for planning purposes. I like the program.

Good luck.