Sign in to follow this  
poodlepeople

Tires for Jeep Wrangler JK unlimited toad

I've got 45k miles towing, 35k miles driving on my original factory goodyear 255/75R17.

I go off road mainly on dirt roads, logging roads to reach trail heads, Big Bend NP, Barry Goldwater range, Death Valley, Silver Queen mine ...  

Les Schwab is recommending their new "Open Range" AT in a 265/70R17, this is slightly smaller tire.

I was also looking at a Michelin LTX AT2 in a 285/70 R17, slightly larger tire.  Turck forms like this tire for smooth quiet ride.  One jeep form stated it may rub on sway bar at full lock.

I was wondering what others are running for a smooth, quiet mainly hwy driver tire for the jeeps.

Thanks,

Ed

80,000 miles on a set of tires kindly speaks for itself. I run Goodyear Wranglers on my jeep wrangler and had 0 issues. I did replace an older set prematurely because the previous owner used a very oversized tire making the Jeep hard to get in and out of, plus very stiff ride. I went back to door placard size and have been happier with this arrangement. Welcome to the forum!:rolleyes: By the way, I am using the semi aggressive tread design.

5 hours ago, Poodlepeople said:

One jeep form stated it may rub on sway bar at full lock.

Ed, welcome to the forum. I would need more than "may" when others are not having a problem. How much time do you spend with the steering cranked to the lock? The 285/70 R17 tires are only 0.6" taller and 1.2" wider than the stock ones. When you get them on try them in the parking lot in a full lock turn. If they rub, don't do that anymore.😉 

Bill

Welcome.

I run 35 x 12.50 x R18, Trail Grablers by NITTO....3" lift, no rubbing at full lock.  I run all the places you mentioned & a bunch more!  TX, AZ, NM, CO & Utah.  If your happy with the tires you got...why change?