jawopw

Dash a/c on 2012 American Eagle not cooling

Sure, could be.  Could be a slow enough leak that recharge would do it.  May be a big enough leak that the leak would need to be fixed.

But, I would back up a step.  Have you verified that the compressor is turning?  Fan for the condenser turning?

Is there a dryer that you can see?  If so, is there a sight glass? Cloudy or clear?

If I don't exercise mine, it will blow cool, not cold air for about 30 minutes.  In the Texas summer, I run all 3 roof AC's, when I forget to use my dash ac for a month, it will blow cool. 

This is exactly like your auto air conditioner, only larger- with 45' hoses. When mine didn't work, I bought a tall can of refrigerant+ sealant at WalMart that has a gauge to show when the charge is adequate. I re-filled the system per instructions and haven't had that problem since, that was in 2013.

Now the Evans valve has decided to stop shutting off the flow  to the heater coils when using the A/C; have to set it on MAX cooling to get cold air.

Topping off with something from a box store may work. Maybe for a while or maybe longer. However, there are so many variables in a/c systems these days that it seems like a risky venture. Pressures must be correct, hardware must be working properly, and the system needs to be leak free. I wouldn't trust a system that costs as much to repair/replace as an RV a/c to the instructions that come with a bottle of refrigerant from Walmart. (Or the quality of the refrigerant - lots of these leak sealing cans have ingredients in them that are not good long-term, and some don't use the actual refrigerant but rather a substitute which may or may not be compatible with the real stuff.)

My suggestion is to take it to a qualified a/c repair center and have them do a proper leak test and system evaluation. If they tell you that it's just a slow leak, then you can take action in the future based on that. They can also tell you the proper refrigerant to use. But, if they discover something more ominous you'll be able to get it repaired.

I had a slow leak in my unit. A friend of mine, an retired HVAC tech told me to check all of my hose connections.I did and found that all were really tight except one. It turned maybe 1/4 or less of a turn. Leak cured. Confirmed with a vacuum test and recharge.

Herman

49 minutes ago, hermanmullins said:

I had a slow leak in my unit. A friend of mine, an retired HVAC tech told me to check all of my hose connections.I did and found that all were really tight except one. It turned maybe 1/4 or less of a turn. Leak cured. Confirmed with a vacuum test and recharge.

Herman

Finding the leak is key. Good that you were able to find it. If the refrigerant finds its way out one time, it will likely do it again unless you can find the leak like Herman did. Things don't usually fix themselves.

There are multiple fittings from the back of compressor to the front of the coach. Our leaks came from high side fitting on back of compressor. You could easily see the dust caked up on the hose where small amounts of oil/Freon was leaking out. We also found hi-side port fitting leaking. Since we had compressor off to replace o-ring, it was replaced with a reman from freight liner house. The hi side fitting was replaced. System vacuum tested and recharged. All good. She’s blowing ice cubes again. Cost was under 600. As stated previous, the fix-a-flat Freon is an a/c systems worst nightmare. 

Todd. ‘06 CC C13cat