F094273S

Hankook Tires?

I am looking at the Hankook tire discount program.  I have a Thor Siesta that uses LT 215/ 85R/16 tires.  Neither Michelin or Continental have this size tire in the FMCA program.  Anyone have any experience with the Hankook tires?

I have run Hankook tires on my last 2 motorhomes, never any issues. I'm getting ready to replace them because they have reached the7 year mark.

I compared the FMCA program price vs. my local dealer and the price was $50 per tire less from local dealer.

Simpletires.com also has good sales on them and they offer free shipping.

Jim

I have used Hankook on several jeeps and numerous different work trucks over the years, never had an issue with them in any of the applications, from over the road trucking to construction vehicles.

We used Hankook tires on a Winnebago Adventurer in the mid 2000 teens.  They were good stabile tires but they rode hard.  After all they are really dump truck tires.  I would say, at the price, I would buy them again.

12 minutes ago, brocki said:

They were good stabile tires but they rode hard.  After all they are really dump truck tires. 

That is an interesting statement. Can you elaborate? 

Bill

Michelin does have a tire in that size - it's not in their drop down menu when searching on the FMCA site, but if you go to the Michelin site and pull up the tires in that size you can take the MSNP and use it to search by that. I found a Michelin Defender LTX with MSNP 02903. You should double check to be sure that these tires meet all your specs.

I've heard mostly good things about the Hankook tires, but there is an owner of a bus conversion who recently had problems with his 4-year-old Hankook steer tires when one of them developed a crack in the sidewall. Just anecdotal evidence, so use it for what it's worth.

For me, I try to stick to the top tier tires whenever possible.

1 hour ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

Bill

Yes, interesting comment.  However, I would take that as a compliment.  If tires can stand the abuse of being on dump trucks, they must be pretty tough.  I attended a seminar at a rally and the Allison Rep stated when they want to test a transmission, they use garbage trucks.  He said if they can stand the abuse of handling a garbage truck, starting and stopping all day, they could certainly handle anything an RVer could do to them.

5 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

They were good stabile tires but they rode hard.  After all they are really dump truck tires. 

I wondered also about that statement, my bus had an almost new set on it when I acquired the coach. They were installed by Vermont Carriers, I found the papers with other valuable info about the bus just after acquiring it. I began watching for Hankook tires on other busses at that time and found nearly half of other commercial carriers including Greyhound on their coaches. I continued using them after my conversion was finished until they were 10 years old with no apparent cracking, I only made very short trips at the time with the old MH still operational. Of course I replaced them once I started making long trips, but still have one in the spare tire compartment, just in case, still no apparent cracks. I would not run more than 7 years normally, but as stated, these were short trips very close to home. Maybe it is the suspension on the bus, but they didn't appear to have a hard ride on this coach.

Agree on statement.  Perhaps it rode hard, due to weight...My coach is much heavier than a WB Adventurer!  He could also have had too much air in tires/weight.  Aside for that, he said, I would buy them again, due to price!  

I have not used that brand...Kelly, BF Goodrich, Uniroyal, Michelin and Cooper...I have had and prefer Michelin for ride and safety!

On 2/8/2019 at 10:44 AM, WILDEBILL308 said:

Bill

I bought them over 2 different times times from a dealer in Grand Rapids MI.  I remember him saying this to me.  I believe his meaning was that they were not designed to give a smooth ride but to be a hard working tire.  I found that to be true and I never had any trouble with them and sold the unit in 2012 for the MH we have now.

Having spent a portion of my career doing ride evaluations. I am a bit suspect of comparisons of a new tire of one brand vs an old tire of a different brand.

The only valid comparison IMO would be new vs new over the identical route of 1 to 5 miles. Not saying you can't feel a difference but in the 100 psi range I would not expect much difference but I would expect almost any worn tire to ride better than a new tire due to tread depth.

1 hour ago, tireman9 said:

but I would expect almost any worn tire to ride better than a new tire due to tread depth.

Wouldn't the new tire with more tread depth ride better? More cushioning and flexibility. Might not corner better because of the "squirm" of the deep tread. 

I have also found that older tires will ride harder because they lose flexibility as they age.

Isn't that right Roger?

On 2/16/2019 at 3:45 PM, WILDEBILL308 said:

Wouldn't the new tire with more tread depth ride better? More cushioning and flexibility. Might not corner better because of the "squirm" of the deep tread. 

I have also found that older tires will ride harder because they lose flexibility as they age.

Isn't that right Roger?

OOPS

I didn't know about your reply.

I will admit that 99% of my Ride & Noise evaluations were on Passenger, LT & Race tires and only Heavy Truck was on Bias tires in early 70's. Whileit is true that more tread often provides softer ride in Pass & LT tires I'm not so sure about the effect once you have 100 psi in the tire.

Now if you are looking at the literature from a single tire company and they offer "better ride" as a "benefit"  that might be true but I don't think I have seen a direct statement identifying the "better than what".  Comparing brands would be even more difficult.  I am checking with a couple of other engineers who have more experience than I do on larger size tires. I will start a new topic if / when I get some data.

I've used Hankooks on two motorhomes.  A friend asked about my tires and I told him my experience and price.  He bought 6 for his RV.  He now feels the same as I do.  Cant beat them and cant tell the difference between them and the overpriced Michelins I had on the first Motorhome.  They are supposed to have stronger sidewalls but I dont know.  I just know they ride great, can't tell the difference and have never had any trouble.  Will be looking for a dealer in Denver for my next set.