Is anyone using the new Towtower?  Looks interesting.  We like a sedan and this appears to allow towing most any front wheel drive car.  Would like more info before diving in

Lyle,

A quick look brings up two questions:

How much weight are you adding to the rear axle/removing from the front axle (remember, that weight is 10+ feet behind the rear axle). Are you overloading the rear axle? Negatively affecting handling by underloading the front axle.  With tag axle would be significantly less of an issue.

How many front wheel drive vehicles have a "frame" strong enough to support their weight on a subframe-- certainly not in the design specs for the toad.

I have not seen one in person, so these are off the cuff observations.

I found a link.  Looks interesting, although I did notice the RV they were using is a Foretravel.  They routinely have 20,000 # tow ratings with 2,000 # tongue weight capability.

As Brett noted, I doubt many off the shelf vehicles have the body strength or capability to be hauled in that manner.

https://www.towtower.com/gallery/

I agree which is why I wondered if anyone was using one and how it works.  Our coach does have a tag so would spread the weight a little.

The hydraulic one is $3700, electric is $3000. I don't think that includes the custom built part that attaches to the car. It weighs 128 lbs. And you still need an auxiliary brake system. Looks like you could easily exceed 1000 lbs hitch weight. Front wheel drive or 4 wheel drive with lockout only. I don't see any pluses.

According to the add, those prices are inclusive of everything needed to install on both the coach and toad except for installation on both. I thought for a long time about designing something similar but now I no longer need to, LOL.:rolleyes: According to the youtube video that I watched, the distributed weight of a 4000# Cadillac SRX on the coach is about 1600# due to the weight shift by raising the front end, their claim not mine. It sure looks like a neat idea to me. I would love to see one in person.

Looking at the set up, it puts a lot of stress on the suspension system.  Now, if it was like a fork lift and the tines supported the engine and got the wheels off the ground?  You would still need a Tag & 15k to 20k tow hitch.

12 hours ago, SherryKen820 said:

Any updates on this interesting looking product?   Know anyone who bought and uses it.

Sherry/Ken, welcome to the forum. All I can say after looking at the whole thing is it's not for me. I have never seen one in use on the road in any campground or at any rally. I will stick to my CR-V 4 down.

Bill

Doesn't look like there's a lot of clearance between the vehicles - tight turns might be an issue. And I don't know if I would want the front suspension just hanging there like that - it will put a lot of unusual stress on the struts and/or springs and shocks...

Depending upon the  vehicle being towed, the exit angle is very important when it is lifted. Also the front wheels clearance off the ground will interact with rear exit angle. FWIW, the website says "under construction".