clintw

Membership Plates mounting

What is the best way to mount the plates?  I see they have ladder brackets but I don’t think I want it on the steps.  Also I received two plates where does the second one go?

Clint, welcome to the FMCA forum!

Here is a post on plate mounting. I have one on the front (PA does not require a front license plate) and on ladder mounted. The ladder mounts sit back to allow room for the ladder to be used.

I mounted my FMCA plates , by implementing suction cups, and then drilled holes to attach my Escapees emblem to the FMCA plate. Pictures may be worth a thousand words... Hope this helps.

IMG_3260.JPG

IMG_3262.JPG

IMG_3263.JPG

IMG_3265.JPG

I used suction cups I purchased from Hobby Lobby. They have the hooks. I just slip the hook into the already made hole and stick it at the bottom of the passenger side window. Having it down low keeps it from breaking should the suction let go. (Which it has done on occasion.)

As indicated in my December post, Kiley Mold is still in business and those brackets are designed to recess the plate to allow stepping on the ladder steps.

I used double-sided exterior tape to mount mine on the rear and front cap in 2015 when I joined, they are still holding firm. If I ever want to remove them, dental floss makes a saw for the tape-but wear gloves.

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 6:45 PM, RayIN said:

I used double-sided exterior tape to mount mine on the rear and front cap in 2015 when I joined, they are still holding firm. If I ever want to remove them, dental floss makes a saw for the tape-but wear gloves.

Dental floss has SO many uses! I've had broken plastic connectors, where the break allows multiple winds, as well as on off knobs for washer/dryer! wrap around the stem many many times, then a dab of super glue to keep it wound, knob stem will NEVER break, works on cracked one's too....

I have mine mechanically attached with stainless truss screws (bolts) to the engine bay door on the back of the coach.  I've put jam nuts with fender washers on the backside to make sure it doesn't loosen up.  Unfortunately, I don't have a good picture of this, but I don't think it is necessary to understand how I did it.  The draw back here of course is that it means there are two holes drilled in the engine bay door that would be exposed if I ever decided to take the plate off.  Since my coach does not have a ladder on the back, that was not an attachment option.

I've noticed some members have cast plates.  Mine is a cheap flat plastic plate with a sticker on it.  Is there a way to get these cast plates, are they reserved for special members (directors, etc.), or was there a changeover at some point in time to the plastic ones?

Edited by superbus