bigpapaporsche

Surge Protectors Portal/Hardwired

I've used the "Search Function" on the Forum , but didn't find what I was looking for. I assume that most of the FMCA forum members are Class A MH, correct me if I am wrong. I obviously want to Protect my Electrical System and all the Electronic Devices that are now Standard  Equipment on most MH's. Our MH is a Class B+ PleasureWay. My knee-jerk response was to add the type that hang from the Electrical Pedestal at most Campgrounds. However, my research took me in a different direction and lead me to installing a "Hardwired Surge Protector" to get the full benefits they provide. Even though the Hardwired Protectors are substantially higher priced and a bit harder to install, I am glad I did it!

I assume most Class A, MH have these Hardwired as standard equipment. I am I correct?

Papa, ours had one I removed the hardwired and went portable. Please elaborate on your research and your thoughts on each type.

Today's MH have more Electronics than ever before and getting them repaired can also be expensive. A "Surge Protector"is designed to guard against both HIGH and LOW Voltages. This can be a confusing item to understand and purchase, so I read a lot of material and watch several Youtubes on the subject to better understand them.  According to the information I found, "Progressive Industries" unit was rated very high. This narrowed the field, but I still had to decide between a Portable vs a Hardwired  device. When I reviewed "Progressives Industries Comparison Chart" it was obvious which device offered the most protection, I selected the Hardwire Device. In addition to offering better/more  protection, you don't have to worry about someone stealing your Surge Protector from the pedestal or forgetting to install it altogether. I also called their Tech Line and asked them what I needed to consider in selecting which one to select, they were very helpful! Finally, because we have a small Class B+ MH we only needed a 30 AMP protector.

i had a progressive hardwire unit which did its job and sacrificed itself to protect my coach. I replaced it with a portable progressive unit for simplicity. Rain water in the bin while driving did us in, new unit is better protected.

My Progressive hardwire is under the bed, next to the Transfer Switch.  High & dry!  I have a lock on my pedestal mount & it's got a weather shield.  Lightning does strike the same place twice!

So for us I thought the hard wired was the greatest thing when we upgraded to the A coach in 14. Then it did its job at a campground and I was without power, had to run to the local home center, purchase wire and wire nuts, stop at a RV dealer and purchase a portable unit, come back and bypass it. Then a year later I had a problem with my cord, I used it to assist in troubleshooting it, that's when it dawned on me the diagnostic capabilities at the tower, the ease of replacing it should a problem wipe it out, it just made all of the sense to keep with the portable unit. Fast forward to May 2018, camping in Maryland, campground had a tower problem and it wiped out my Progressive unit just before we were headed out for a day trip, I picked up the phone, called around, local RV dealer 5 minutes up the street had a replacement, I bought it, reconnected after the campground staff fixed the tower, and we went on with our day and I only lost an hour of my holiday weekend. I had one heck of a time getting Progressive to replace the unit (new owners of the company are not as easy as the old owners) finally got them to honor the warranty after 3 weeks of back and forth, now I have two portable units in the coach as a back up.

UP here in the Northeast campground wiring is old and in need of maintenance that its probably not going to get, destroying a EMS up here is fairly common. We have been RV'ing for 11 years with two motorhomes. I have replaced 4 EMS units and one A/C unit and one 110V fuse box and transfer switch due to power problems.

Needless to say I wont leave home without it and both units reside in the electrical bay in the coach along with the chain to lock it to the tower! I also have this gadget that I will always plug in and test before any of my stuff gets connected;

I love this gadget, thanks Brett for the recommendation! 

https://50amppowerpal.com/

I opted for the pedestal-mounted unit for the same reasons as above. Doesn't take much to have one of these units give their life to protect the coach, and I'd rather have the plug-N-play option rather than having to install something permanently.

I have the portable Surge Guard and it has saved me several times. It is more the low voltage events that do damage than hi voltage events. I know from experience how fast damage can happen without the Surge Guard. On my first trip with this coach, I didn't have a 50 amp unit and thought we should be ok. Well no we weren't. In a RV park in Amarillo we were washing some clothes and the lights dimmed and went back to bright. The washer won't run again till I spent more than the cost of my Surge Gard to fix it.:( Now I don't plug in without it. 

Bill