fagnaml

Higher Diesel Prices Starting Q4 2019

The "refinery guy" needs to share news about upcoming diesel price increases starting in Q4 2019 that will impact all diesel engine powered RVs (and diesel trucks towing RVs).   On January 1, 2020, new low sulfur specifications for marine fuel oil will take effect.  At that time the International Maritime Organization (IMO) will limit the sulfur content of marine fuel oil to 0.5% which is 700% lower than the current sulfur limit of 3.5%.   Beginning in Q4 2019, refiners around the globe, including my company, will begin blending ULSD (ultra low sulfur diesel with 15 ppm max sulfur content) with high sulfur fuel oils to produce the new 0.5% max sulfur marine fuel oil.   Blending ULSD into to marine fuel oil means less ULSD will be available to sell retail to owners of diesel powered RVs and trucks which means ULSD pump prices will increase!!

The Energy Information Administration (EIA) updated (Feb 2019) Short Term Energy Outlook forecasts diesel prices increasing by 10-15 cents per gallon (on the basis crude oil prices remain "flat" during the year).   -->https://www.eia.gov/outlooks/steo/tables/pdf/2tab.pdf   The higher diesel prices will be upon all diesel engine owners ten months from now.   As such, its time to look at individual budgets / travel plans presuming 10-15 cents/gallon higher ULSD prices.    Make the big trips this spring / summer, perform routine maintenance, etc.  and be ready to pay more dollars at the diesel pump!

Thanks for providing some facts on the issue of fuel prices. While I'm sure that the data is correct, I'm not sure this is reason to panic. We customarily see swings in prices from winter to summer far bigger than 10-15 cents, so I'll do like everyone else and just ride through the storm.

What I'd really like to know is why did diesel fuel prices pass up regular unleaded prices a couple of years ago. For as long as I can remember, diesel was cheaper. I believe it still is in many parts of the world outside the US. In recent years, however, it seems that diesel brings a premium price.

Richard, I didn't read anything in Mike's posts to indicate anyone should panic but once that word is used it starts to take root. 

I look forward to hearing Mike explain why diesel or as far as that goes, all fuel fluctuates in price even when crude pricing is staying relatively stable. I believe its very simple, supply and demand. 

Jim I’m over here thinking what is that low of a sulfur level going to tear up? 10-15 cents per gallon increase, blah!

Mike, any other additives replacing sulfur for lubrication? 

Mike, Looking at the table you linked to I don't see any big increases coming in 2020 or 2021. 

10-15 cents per gallon increase, is way less than the difference between the hi and lowest prices in the Fort Worth area. Right now highest price (From Gasbuddy) $3.09 lowest $2.29 or about $.80. If a 10-15 cents per gallon increase is going to bother you I would start saving more into your diesel fund and get GasBuddy.

Bill

11 hours ago, manholt said:

I'm like Joe.  Mostly concerned about lubrication...what happens in Marine, will extend over to us eventually!

All your coach (2010 model) has ever seen is ULSD (ULTRA LOW Sulfur diesel).

The new standards for marine allows for more Sulfur content than on-highway diesel which is 15 PPM.

Diesel can go up a pretty good way and still below the over $4 we were paying a couple of years ago.  Of course anybody driving a DP shouldn't be too concerned about fuel prices....if you are, you're in the wrong hobby.:)

I can't speak for others!  No matter what I make, I'm happier at $2.47 than $4. 47!  I paid $5.18 in Taos, NM, when it was $4.10 avg. in 2008 & that's more than, "a few years ago"!

As usual many good comments from the forum!  My "heads up" about the new, lower marine fuel sulfur spec was to inform the forum that the lower sulfur specification will increase the demand for ULSD in the marine fuel market at a time when refineries are operating at 95-100% capacity 24/7 and are in maximum ULSD production mode.    The higher demand for ULSD in the marine fuel market means higher ULSD pump prices in 2020 for us diesel motorhome owners.   I just wanted the forum to know about the very likely increase in ULSD prices so that those with tight personal budgets can adjust their 2020 budgets to accommodate higher ULSD costs.  

With regards to ULSD lubricity, Brett is correct that ULSD (15 ppm max sulfur content) regulations have been in place since 2006 for on-highway use and since 2014 for all off-highway, locomotive and "in port" marine use.   To help assure good diesel fuel quality (lubricity, corrosion protection, detergent properties, prevent oxidation, etc.), I, like several other forum members, routinely use the Power Service "Diesel Kleen and Cetane Boost" additive available at your favorite Walmart.   Diesel Kleen is the only additive endorsed by Cummins --> https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20170510005497/en/Cummins-Officially-Recommends-Power-Service®-Diesel-Kleen

12 minutes ago, fagnaml said:

To help assure good diesel fuel quality (lubricity, corrosion protection, detergent properties, prevent oxidation, etc.), I, like several other forum members, routinely use the Power Service "Diesel Kleen and Cetane Boost" additive

Yep I don't fill up without it.

Bill

52 minutes ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

I, like several other forum members, routinely use the Power Service "Diesel Kleen and Cetane Boost" additive

YUP, same here! Its a notifiable difference with vs without it. 

fagnaml,

To help assure good diesel fuel quality (lubricity, corrosion protection, detergent properties, prevent oxidation, etc.), I, like several other forum members, routinely use the Power Service "Diesel Kleen and Cetane Boost" additive available at your favorite Walmart.   Diesel Kleen is the only additive endorsed by Cummins --> https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20170510005497/en/Cummins-Officially-Recommends-Power-Service®-Diesel-Kleen

Always add the White bottle  because we live well north of RT 40, That is an arbitrary line mentioned by Power Service.

Question pertaining to Biocid's .  I had a bottle of it crystallize, was that due to cold weather or evaporation in hot weather?  Keep some added when we are setting for more then 30 days.

Rich. 

Rich.

So, does that mean that I need to add White Kleen in Canada, this summer?  we'll be in the Maritime Provinces for 2 month's!  Normally I use Gray!

Carl C.

5 minutes ago, manholt said:

Rich.

So, does that mean that I need to add White Kleen in Canada, this summer?  we'll be in the Maritime Provinces for 2 month's!  Normally I use Gray!

Carl C.

Not unless you head that way right now.

The white PS also contains an ANTI-GEL. 

Thank you Brett.

That brings up another question...I have a 150 gallon tank, per original "Owners Manual", so I thought, until I ran out of diesel last week (don't ask).  Found out, I have a 180+ fuel tank!  Do I put in a quart or 2 quarts of Kleen?  If I use 2, will it hurt anything...other than the wallet?

Carl,

Be the engineer/scientist you are.  You can determine ratio from the bottle.  May have to "steal" a measuring cup.  I say steal, as can't see returning it to the galley!

Carl The only time I switch to the white bottle is when I think there will be below freezing temperatures. I tend to run a somewhat rich mixture and it seems to work great. The standard is on quart to 100 gal but I will dump the quart in when I think I need 60-65 gal. You can get the bigger bottles at Walmart. 

I don't think I would have told anyone I ran out of diesel.🤣

Bill 

Unlike generator that will stop at quarter of a tank...Aqua Hot is not set that way on mine!  We had stopped at the Ranch house on our way to Capitol RV Park (.8 miles) in Gladewater...James got on phone and ordered 1,000 gal., I took 178 gallons of it.  Took about 5 minutes to bleed out air, then both engine & gen started.  Snow & Sleet made the Park very muddy, so we stayed parked by the barn!   That's a first for me! 

Brett, I think I had one glass too many!