rfsod48

Texas winter weather

Has this been a typical Texas winter in regards to weather? The RGV has been cloudy well over 60% of the time and on the cool side. Is this an aberration or somewhat normal?

I'm near Desert Hot springs Palm Springs area and it;s very cold and wet here.  One night snow made it into the area.  75 year long records broken for rainfall. 

49 minutes ago, elkhartjim said:

I thought with global warming we were doomed in just a few years. 

I don't know, one of the major new talking heads was bemoaning that they had set a record for most snow in February ever. 

Roland,what is the weather back home?

Bill

We are getting misting rain for the past 2 days and for the next couple days but the temps are in the low 70's and  low 60's. It just fluctuates during the day like that with each day different. The lows are in the low to mid 50's with some occasional 60's.

In about a week we'll be in the low to mid 60's for a few days.

Spring is just around the corner.

Also, it is supposed to be a very good year for Blue Bonnets.

7 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

Also, it is supposed to be a very good year for Blue Bonnets.

What type of hat is that Wayne? Sounds interesting for Easter, I would like for DW to get one.:ph34r:

:lol::lol:

Roland, depends on where you was when a storm came thru!  About every 5 years, we get the dip in the Jet Stream, from NW to NE.  Other times we get the Pineapple Express.  El Nino, El nina. :ph34r:

Bill, weather is crappy back home. I guess the whole country is colder this year but I thought Texas would have more sunshine.

That is El Nino or La Nina.  We are in Port O'Connor since Dec 28 and we have had very few sunny and normal days.  We have had lots of rain, drizzle and fog.  

And it is not Global Warming....the correct term now is Global Climatic Change.

Ken

Doesn't look too bad in southern Texas?

The DW and I were seriously looking at either South Padre Island or the Corpus Christi area next year to winter. January thru March.  I'm thinking Corpus Christi as the weather looks nicer, warmer, and I hear South Padre is very windy. 

Anyone have experience in either area, any recommendations on nice affordable RV Parks, close or on the beaches?

Ian, Corpus Christi area was much nicer this year in my opinion. We are heading back there next week from the RGV. South Padre has had fog almost every day and the campgrounds there are very crowded. Several campgrounds north of CC are very nice and fall into the price range you want. Talking to people who have been coming to RGV for 20-25 years the volume of winter Texans has had a marked decrease in the last 6-8 years but the area still has traffic congestion.

I might also recommend Galveston to you, a lot to do and beach is right there. So far this winter, out first to spend all our time in Texas, we like Corpus and Galveston best. The weather hasn’t been as good as I would like but Arizona where we usuall go isn’t great this year either.

4 hours ago, kaypsmith said:

What type of hat is that Wayne? Sounds interesting for Easter, I would like for DW to get one.:ph34r:

Ah! That is the Texas Flower and the fields are beautiful.

Here is a google link to Blue Bonnet pictures.

1 hour ago, IanBullock said:

Doesn't look too bad in southern Texas?

The DW and I were seriously looking at either South Padre Island or the Corpus Christi area next year to winter. January thru March.  I'm thinking Corpus Christi as the weather looks nicer, warmer, and I hear South Padre is very windy. 

Anyone have experience in either area, any recommendations on nice affordable RV Parks, close or on the beaches?

Ian,

I don't know what the prices in the RGV or Corpus are and you are correct on wind but not just Padre but Corpus and other areas as well. The only time the wind doesn't blow down there is in August, and trust me that you don't want to be there in August.

As for Galveston, we live 14 miles from there in Texas City. Galveston has RV parks in the range you are talking about and they include electricity in most cases.

If you get off the island you can find lots of places less expensive: Here is a short list:

You do have to make reservations ahead of time. Many of the RV Parks around here have refinery workers and traveling nurses, plus Coast Guard in the parks.
Hey, for 500-700 a month to live is cheap for them.

RV Parks near us

USA LaMarque, TX 8.9 miles

Daily $59 W/S/E
Weekly $320 W/S/E
Monthly $495 back in; $595 Pull through. W/S E metered
Monthly Elect 12 cents KW hour; $150 deposit

USA, Bacliff, TX Rd 12.4 miles

Daily $59
Weekly $320 W/S/E
Monthly $495 Through March W/S/E
Monthly $595 Apr-Oct W/S E metered

USA Lake Cove, Dickinson TX

Daily $59 W/S/E
Weekly $320 W/S/E
Monthly back-in $662 W/S/ E metered
Monthly Pull-through $692

Marquee on the Bay (Next to Galveston Bay RV Park)

Daily $50
Weekly $253
Monthly:
  On the Bayou $650
  Off the Bayou Back-in $500
  Off the Bayou Pull-through $550
All services included.

Galveston Bay RV Resort & Marina  (Next to Marquee on the Lake)

DAILY    WEEKLY    MONTHLY
PULL THROUGH 1-17 MAIN AREA    $55.00    $250.00    $500.00
MARINA 18-25; 34-47 & 47A & 62 MAIN & SE AREA    $60.00    $275.00    $525.00
POND 26-33 MAIN AREA    $50.00    $225.00    $500.00
BAYOU BAY WATERFRONT 63-69; 74-78 SE AREA    $65.00    $300.00    $600.00
BACK IN 47B-61; 79-81 SE AREA    $60.00    $275.00    $525.00
BAYOU BAY WATERFRONT 70-73 SE AREA    $75.00    $300.00    $650.00
LUXURY MARINA/BAYOU 101-107 / 112-117 SW AREA    $75.00    $325.00    $625.00
LUXURY BAYOU WATERFRONT 108-111 & 118 SW AREA    $80.00    $350.00    $700.00
LUXURY BACK IN 119-122 SW AREA    $60.00    $275.00    $525.00
LUXURY BACK 123-130 SW INTERIOR AREA    $70.00    $300.00    $600.00
LUXURY PULL THROUGH 201-212    $60.00    $275.00    $525.00
LUXURY NORTH BACK IN 226-241    $60.00    $275.00    $525.00
LUXURY NORTH POND    $75.00    $325.00    $675.00
LUXURY BACK 213-225    $60.00    $275.00    $525.00

Stella Mare Galveston TX    

Sept 15 - May 14 (Too expensive in Summer time.)

WInter:
Deluxe Back-in
Daily $41.50
Weekly $243.00
Monthly $609.00

Premium Pull thru
Daily $44.50
Weekly $257.00
Monthly $649.00

19 hours ago, rfsod48 said:

Has this been a typical Texas winter in regards to weather? The RGV has been cloudy well over 60% of the time and on the cool side. Is this an aberration or somewhat normal?

Oxymoron.                 :lol: 

Herman

Ian.

Wayne pretty much covered it.  

Wayne, how them Mosquitoes doing in the Pond area?  We will be on Island Monday, for 2 weeks!  :D

Skeeters are keeping out of the stiff breeze and so far so good.

Give a holler when in town and maybe we can do lunch somewhere.

Wayne, that's quite a list. Thanks for this, checking out the parks you mention will give me something to do over the weekend,,,,

Ian,

That is only a partial list.  New places have been added since I made that list. A little more pricey but still inside your budget.

Check out RV Park Reviews (now "campgroundreviews.com")  for others in the area. If you find one that you may be interested in let me know and I'll visit it (if we are in the area), or may be that I know of it. 

I am not from Texas, but I knew what a Blue Bonnett was. The wild flowers planted near the highways in Texas are pretty. Even for a grizzled old trucker like me. Thanks Lady Bird!

Thanks everyone for the recommendations and info on the Galveston area. All looks nice but I think we are going to go a little further south to the Corpus Christi area in search of slightly warmer weather. Me and the DW are partial to closer to 70 degrees.

In my search for a gulf front spot to winter next January thru March, I came across the Pioneer RV Resort on Padre Island, Corpus Christi, just north of Mustang island. From the website, it looks really nice and is just steps from the beach. 

Has anyone been there? Recommendations?