rfsod48

Texas winter weather

As Bill says, Texas Trails is a good park in Pharr on the border of Edinberg . It is a 1 hour 15 minute drive from South Padre Island. First time rate is $295 + electric for a month. The parks on or very near to the Gulf near Corpus Christi leave a lot to be desired in my opinion. Gulf Waters RV Resort is very nice but expensive. Off shore Majestic Oaks is very nice as well as Southern Oaks. So far this year the weather in the valley has been warmer and drier than the coast.

If you are wanting to stay near Gulf you need to make reservations now, Majestic Oaks is already full for 2020, they say that they might have a few cancellations but not to count on it.

Ian.

Pioneer RV Resort, has been mostly re built since Hurricane Harvey blew it away.  By next winter, everything will be back to normal.  Have been to the old one, many times for Rally's and your just behind the dunes from beach!  Everyone has their own opinion's on RV Parks/Resorts...try one, try 2. 3.  You'll find the one that the 2 of you think about each year! :)

Carl, I agree. Thanks for your thoughts on Pioneer, they pretty much match up what I have read from other's reviews.  Roland, yes, time is of the essence.  I called around over the weekend and many parks are either booked, filling up or just a few days away from taking reservations for next winter.  I checked with Pioneer and they told me to call back on March 12th and they would be "happy to make our reservation".  I hope this means that they have availability.  ☺️

Ian.

They will, just make sure you call.  Very popular area, all year!  When your there, take a drive to Port O'Conner.

Galveston Island, same weather.  current 62 & wind, drizzle, no fog.  Unless it's August, you'll have wind on TX coast.

Wayne and Brett, has a bad weather system right now, with big hail.

It basically bypassed us. I can remember in the days of golf we would be playing at TX GC and the thunderstorms and other storms would be all around us, but like miles and miles away.  We could see the ominous cloud systems but we were dry as could be.

We went to a soccer game at Dickinson High School and left at half time. Got into TC and the roads were dry.

IAN, I visited Pioneer RV Park today. It is a very nice park with cement roads and site pads. The units are somewhat tight but doable. From the back of the park there is a walkway path thru the dunes to the beach and Gulf. The staff seemed friendly and the park was clean.they are going to build a new rec hall, laundry and restrooms soon to supplement existing facilities. There were several sites available now.

Haven't stayed there but have stayed at Lagoons RV Resort, nice park and at Mustang Island State Park.  Mustang Island is nice but basic. I don't know what condition it is in after the last storms.

Bill

Bill, Mustang Island State Park was a little rough when we looked in January of this year. I am sure it will improve over time. Lots of building going on in area, new restaurants and stores.

Bill, they just re built most of Lagoons (The Hurricane did them a favor), Lone Star will have a Rally there in May.  

Thanks everyone! Especially to Roland who stopped by yesterday, WOW, and Carl who has been to Pioneer RV Resort previously.  I'll be calling first thing on the 12th to reserve! 

Bill, Lagoons looks nice, but its not close enough to the beach, according to the DW,,

1 hour ago, IanBullock said:

Bill, Lagoons looks nice, but its not close enough to the beach, according to the DW,,

Well, you better do what makes the DW happy.

6 hours ago, manholt said:

Lone Star will have a Rally there in May.  

Carl, I looked up the dates and we will be headed north about then. 

Bill

Lone Star Rallies coming up and all are welcomed. Contact either myself or Carl with a PM in you are interested.

April 4th - 6th, 2019 Whistle Stop RV Park...........Abilene, TX

May 16th - 18the, 2019 Lagoons RV Resort.......Rockport, Texas

Herman

We are leaving Corpus Christi tomorrow and heading to Castroville and Hill Country. Staying at the Alsatian RV Resort, it has a good golf course. We have fog again today at Aransas Pass, Sea Fog. Seems almost every day it is present and lasts until noon. Keeps humidity up. I have been told by those who have been coming here for years that this year and last year are aberrations from normal as far as weather. Hopefully Hill Country will be drier and sunny.

Yes, on southern edge but has a good golf course! We will make day trips to Hill Country towns and resturants 😁

One of maney places you should check on near Fredericksburg is Wildseed Farms. It should be a good time of the year to go look at the wildflowers. Everywhere down there the road sides should be covered with bluebonnets. https://www.wildseedfarms.com/ "Wildseed Farms has been growing fields of wildflowers for the production of seed for over 35 years.  We are the nation's largest working wildflower farm with over 200 acres in Fredericksburg Texas alone."

Bill

Roland.

When in Fredericksburg, take a trip to Lady Birds State Park on Hwy 16, it's 5 miles South of town...The golf course is very impressive & cheap and the RV park is full H/U, also cheap!  LBJ's family don't need $$$ and the trust that Lady Bird set up is more than enough!

Lots of LBJ sites out that way including the ranch and boy hood home. Last time I was at the ranch it was like a time capsule. Everything was just like he had flown in on his plane(parked outside) even the 3 tvs so he could keep an eye on all 3 networks when he ate supper. I remember seeing it on the news one time and it looks exactly like it did.

Bill