rfsod48

Texas winter weather

Roland --

The Alsatian RV Resort in Castroville, TX is one of my wife's favorites (she's becoming an RV park snob) --> http://www.alsatianresort.com/     Our time at the Alsatian RV Resort was for adventures in San Antonio.   Alsatian is on the 'edge' of the Hill Country / Texas Wine Country.   More convenient RV parks in the middle of the Hill Country include Sunset Point RV Park in Marble Falls and the Texas Wine Country Jellystone RV Park near Fredericksburg.

If you like wine, the Texas Wine Country is second only to the Napa Valley for number of wineries and great wines --> https://texaswinetrail.com/

Castroville itself is great fun to explore!  Take a moment to tour the Steinbach Haus Visitor's Center in Castroville --> https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g55592-d3387213-Reviews-Steinbach_Haus_Visitors_Center-Castroville_Texas.html   Dine at the quaint, old Alsatian Restaurant in the historic / antique shops area of Castroville --> https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g55592-d11654511-Reviews-Alsatian_Restaurant-Castroville_Texas.html    Tour the old St. Louis Catholic Church -->  https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g55592-d3701658-Reviews-St_Louis_Catholic_Church-Castroville_Texas.html#photos;aggregationId=101&albumid=101&filter=7&ff=245094798

Enjoy the Hill Country!

18 minutes ago, fagnaml said:

The Alsatian RV Resort in Castroville, TX 

That's my wife's type of RV resort, we need to keep them apart :lol::wacko:

Mike, just checked out the Alsatian RV Resort website. Looks like my kind of resort too!

Thanks for the link..

Linda, just want a Casita site for a week in Oct.  Yea, 7 days of golf...works for us, we both play! :wub:  You don't want to be there in Aug or Jan.  

Played golf today at Resort course, a not to difficult shorter test. Greens were good, day was beautiful 86 and sun with a mild 8-10 mph wind. We will be visiting Hill Country over the next two weeks, thanks for the input.

Definitely recommend the Alsatian RV resort, clean and well kept concrete sites and roads, only negative is poor ATT reception. If you golf the course is attached and you play right next to the RV park on a couple of holes, it is a fun relaxing course.

Roland, I suspect you will go into San Antonio and to the Alamo.  If you have Disabled plates or sticker you can park anywhere there is a parking meter for free. (Yes, you can park in the non-metered spaces for free also - duh!)

However, finding a parking spot is the trick. Directly behind the Alamo at the intersection of E. Houston St and Bonham street  there is a parking lot. They charge $20 a day but it is an easy in and out and very convenient.  You walk out of the parking lot and you are at the back wall of the Alamo.  There is a back gate to the gardens and walkway.

When you leave the Alamo at the front entrance into Alamo Plaza you can walk across the street and take the stairs, or the hotel elevator, down to the River Walk.  In the least when you are on the River Walk take the boat ride. Worth the money, and not that expensive.

Also while in the SA area take you car/truck and ride the Mission Trail. Stop at the missions and enjoy.  The Alamo is one of the missions.

Good to know!  We seldom stay overnight in the San Antonio area, since Linda has a small ranch (she kept 3 ac of the 10,000 that was sold), 78 miles SSW of SA, we stay there and take SUV.

Wayne is an expert on SA!  :)  Unfortunately, you'll miss the best part of the SA experience...the Christmas light's on the River Walk!  Unforgettable. :wub:

Oh yes! Those lights are beautiful.

If you go to the Buckhorn Museum make sure you go into the Texas Ranger's Museum part.  Be sure to notice a book depicting the family of John Himes Livergood and his pistol.  John Himes Livergood came to Texas just after "The Alamo," and was in many fights with Indians of the time. He was also on the Meir Expedtion. He was the first Justice of Lavaca County. He is Earlene's Great Great Grandfather.

p.s., we will be in SA from April 25 through May 4th. Prior to that we will be in Johnson City from April 14th through 24th.

Come on down!

Lots to see and do in SA. Look for the Pearl Historic District. Wayne, what is that restaurant that features dining on one of the boats that cruises the river?

Also not on the river but interesting is Historic Market Square (big Mexican market) and some old restaurants like Mi Tierra Cafey Panaderia. That was there when I lived down there, well a long time ago..

Bill

Interesting, Linda's G, G, Grandfather, was the supplier of goods to the Ranger Station...he also owned all the land between Bandera, Cripple Creek and Borne.  Finchi (probably miss spelled)!  2 ladies need to talk. :D

We might see you in JC..will you be in Miller Creek?  We leave the 24th for Europe! 

Wayne, is there any day of the week that is better or not good to visit SA? That parking lot will be a great help for my wife, we will take the river boat so she doesn’t have to walk to much. Does the boat bring you back to where you get on?

3 hours ago, manholt said:

Bill, you lived in SA?  When, doing what, USAF?

Went to basic at Lackland, Was stationed at Randolph, got sent to Thailand came back after I got out and worked in the area for a while before moving to FW in 77.

Bill

I took my basic there also...2/1961, sent to Ft. Ord to be processed into Army, then Monterrey for OCS & Languages, after a 3 month vacation in Hawaii, Nam!   8/63 Persidio, CA, then Alexandria, VA. I became TBC in 1964, DeSoto, TX.! :D

Roland, this time of year...M-Th.  Weekends get a crowd.

23 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

Lots to see and do in SA. Look for the Pearl Historic District. Wayne, what is that restaurant that features dining on one of the boats that cruises the river?

Also not on the river but interesting is Historic Market Square (big Mexican market) and some old restaurants like Mi Tierra Cafey Panaderia. That was there when I lived down there, well a long time ago..

Bill

23 hours ago, manholt said:

Interesting, Linda's G, G, Grandfather, was the supplier of goods to the Ranger Station...he also owned all the land between Bandera, Cripple Creek and Borne.  Finchi (probably miss spelled)!  2 ladies need to talk. :D

We might see you in JC..will you be in Miller Creek?  We leave the 24th for Europe! 

Yes, we will be there from the 14th through 24th and leave on 25th for Fort Sam Houston.

20 hours ago, rfsod48 said:

Wayne, is there any day of the week that is better or not good to visit SA? That parking lot will be a great help for my wife, we will take the river boat so she doesn’t have to walk to much. Does the boat bring you back to where you get on?

Yep, Mon through Thur to avoid the crowds.  The river tour boat takes you back to the point you left from. I think there are two points of departure. When you get down to the River Walk, just ask anyone standing outside the restaurant that wants you to come in where the nearest one is.  The tour boat does not stop. Just goes and comes back.

There is a River Taxi that you can take and get of at different spots. I have never taken it so I don't know what the cost may be. It is just a ride between points and does not point out the different land marks like the tour boat does.

Bill the tour boat ticket booth is where one can pick up the dinner cruise. It is the same boat as the tour boat but equipped for dining.

We had a wonderful meal at the Alpine Haus in New Braunfels today, what a charming place and town. Can anyone suggest a bbq place, prefer not in San Antonio but rather Hill Country like Kerrville, Bandera or Bourne.

Thanks Carl, I had seen Bill’s so it is good to have conformation of its rating. We are enjoying Alsatian Resort, going to play golf today.

1 minute ago, DBenoit said:

Hmmmmm...Texas has a winter?

Well, yes.  At least enough of one to sweeten the grapefruit on the tree across the street!

Had a great meal at Bill’s BBQ in Kerrville today and went to the Wild Seed Farm in Fredericksburg. My wife loved it! Thanks Bill and Carl. We have almost decided to stay here at Alsatian RV instead of going to Port Aransas.

Coming from Corpus there was a good amount of flowers in the median and side of freeway. The seed farm is a couple of weeks away from full bloom. We are finally getting some much needed rain tonight.

From Fredericksburg to the Red River and down to Houston, we have had no shortage of rain, last year or this!

DB, 110 in Summer, 25/33 is winter! ☃️To me..if it's under 60, it's time to break out the sweater! 

Brett, I do LOVE the pink grapefruit & the juicy Peaches in June/July!