rj_winger

2018 or 2019 Subaru Crosstrek

If any of you are looking for a great tow car you should check out the Subaru Crosstrek (must be Manual Shift). I bought a 2019 Crosstrek Premium and installed a Blue Ox tow system with a Demco "Stay-In-Play" braking unit. You'll also have to install a charge line from your motorhome to the car to keep the battery charged. I have a Winnebago Aspect 30J class C motorhome and so far it's working great. The Crosstrek is approx. 3000/lbs making it nice a light and not putting any tack on the E450 engine. 

My bad, should have asked, on your other post, if you were towing!  Your coach has a long extension between drive axle and the rear.  

On 4/29/2019 at 12:45 PM, Johnston said:

FYI, Subaru no longer recommends flat towing any of its vehicles. 2016 was the last year Subarus were included in FMCA magazine's towing guide. 

Funny you should mention that, we have a 2017 Crosstrek with 5 speed manual and had to go to Subaru USA to get clearance from them for flat towing.  The local dealership sold us the car with flat towing recommended and the dealership mechanics tell us there is no difference in the manual drive trains between the two model years (2016-2017).  We have a letter memo (hard copy in a safe for future reference) from Subaru that outlines the procedure for flat towing and they are aware of our use of this 2017 model year Crosstrek vehicle.  The process was somewhat like getting special dispensation from a judge to drive to work when your license has been revoked or suspended for some reason.  Caveat emptor!

On 2/22/2019 at 12:25 PM, rj_winger said:

If any of you are looking for a great tow car you should check out the Subaru Crosstrek (must be Manual Shift). I bought a 2019 Crosstrek Premium and installed a Blue Ox tow system with a Demco "Stay-In-Play" braking unit. You'll also have to install a charge line from your motorhome to the car to keep the battery charged. I have a Winnebago Aspect 30J class C motorhome and so far it's working great. The Crosstrek is approx. 3000/lbs making it nice a light and not putting any tack on the E450 engine. 

How much amperage do you need for the charge line and what gauge wire did you use for the charge line?