rj_winger

Rear compartment of a 2018 Winnebage Aspect 30J

Question: I have a 2018 Winnebago Aspect 30J that has a large rear compartment, I'm trying to find out how much weight can be held in that area. The dealer and so far Winnebago have not been able to answer the question. Does anyone on this forum know or know who I can ask? The reason I'm asking the question is that I want to storage a 24" high metal foldable dog pen and don't want it to fall or wrap the floor of my rear compartment. Thanks for any help.

RJ,

Welcome to the Forum.

We need a bit more information on the dog pen. How much does it weigh? Will it fit in the Compartment? What is the Compartment make of, Wood or Molded Plastic? Is there any cross support under the compartment? What else do you plan on carrying in the compartment? 

As you can see there are many factors in you question.

Herman

To add to Herman's post above, I'd also have the rear of the coach weighed to make sure its not at max weight for the axle or overloaded already. Sounds crazy but I have seen a few class C's that were overweight before they had any belongings in them. If there is still availability back there then look at how its constructed, if need be you could lay plywood down to spread the load. 

The pens I'm talking about are from Petco (manufactured by Precision) each weights approx. 24/lbs each (so 48/lbs all together). I've got a plastic floor bottom in that compartment area. I'll be carrying 2 light weight folding chairs a small weber BBQ, a 12' telescopic ladder and a few odds and ends. I don't plan to carry a lot in this area. I've not yet gotten the RV weight yet loaded. Next time I go to the RV I'll look to see what if any supports are under the area in question.

56 minutes ago, rj_winger said:

The pens I'm talking about are from Petco (manufactured by Precision) each weights approx. 24/lbs each (so 48/lbs all together). I've got a plastic floor bottom in that compartment area. I'll be carrying 2 light weight folding chairs a small weber BBQ, a 12' telescopic ladder and a few odds and ends. I don't plan to carry a lot in this area. I've not yet gotten the RV weight yet loaded. Next time I go to the RV I'll look to see what if any supports are under the area in question.

You should have no problem with the items you mentioned. If it were me, I would lay down some carpet, with two sided tape, to cover the entire floor so the stuff won't slide around.

Herman

Herman.

The compartment runs the width of the coach in rear, under the bed & he's towing a 3000# car...Long way from drive axle to rear, axle  is rated for 9,600#, coach is 22,000# !  32' 4" !

Suspect that 22,000 is GCWR (Gross COMBINED Weight Rating), not GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating).

As with any vehicle, weight put WAY behind the rear axle adds more than that weight to the rear axle and subtracts weight from the front axle.

It is somewhat understandable that Winnebago has no published specs for weight in a particular compartment, as weight there is "just part of the whole" and applies to GAWR, GVWR and GCWR.

Rod,

Are you towing 4 wheels down or is there any tongue weight on the back of the motorhome?

And, all THREE weights are important-- you do not want to exceed any of them:

GAWR

GVWR

GCWR

Aufgeblassen.

Your wrong!  One thing we don't need is miss information...even as a joke. :angry:

rj_winger.

The real deal, is as Brett wrote!

Reason is that your coach & most Class C & Class A's, have extenders on the chassis, to make them longer.  The weak link is the extended chassis!  Just because the Hitch is rated for X amount, does not mean that you can safely tow that amount, or have a tongue weight equal to 10% of the Hitch rating! :)