Jump to content
Twaggenspack

Trip Planning

Recommended Posts

With the demise of the Good Sam's trip planner, we are looking for a new trip planning tool. We've looked into several options, but want a simple planning tool with campground lists, not a super cost calculator, road planner, menu tracker etc. We just a simple road planner with typical road hazard warnings and campground recommendations.  If you've ever used the Good Sam's version, you know what we are looking for.

Also, the only way to export the Good Sam's is to a PDF file. We have many extensive trips and would like to find a way to import (highly unlikely) or convert (more unlikely) into a new system.

What do you use?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

when we travel we decide where we will go and stops, then we drive till we get tired and then look for places to spend the night, we search using the garmin GPS, and start calling places, we try not to wait to late before we call 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I plan our route mostly using Google maps, determining stops along the way by the distance we want to travel each day. Generally no more than 300 miles.

Once I have determined the approximate area we want to stop in, I use RVParky or the KOA app to locate nearby campgrounds. 

Sometimes i book campgrounds in advance, sometime the night before. If we are traveling thru a popular vacation area, I will book as far in advance as needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never use a trip planner, I know where we are going. Perry, Chandler, Perry, Indianapolis, Perry, Gillette, Perry and the beat goes on............................:lol:

Herman 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Herman, I thought you were going to say no need to plan DW knows everything :lol:.

When we first started camping we used the Goodsam trip planner for big trips. Now I do the same as Ian. Google Maps to get into a specific area, campground website directions from there. Then for an added level of security I will often use google maps street view to look at bridges to make sure we are not too heavy for them and check heights for overpasses. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use World Goggle for roads and towns, that we will be on/in.  Linda keeps a file of RV Parks and if it's on our route, she will call ahead.  As Ian, if it's in a popular area, we call up to a month+ ahead.  She also has apps for Park review.  Big Rig friendly.  Joe, you need Truckers Atlas!  

This Forum is also a big help, in locating places & campgrounds, from members that live in area!  I'll be using Forum for our trip to Montreal, Canada and New England area, upon our arrival, back in USA. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Carl, we have the FMCA Atlas, truckers atlas, The next Exit and numerous maps (I’m being nice) her Maps have Maps :lol:, I swear when they get wet (stored in the compartment in the stairwell) they reproduce :ph34r:. She’s a navigator, boat charting and all.

I look over the trip as outlined above she puts an expert eye on it. Then I make a wrong turn when she’s not paying attention and I hear about it around the campfire for the next 10 years :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:lol: That non-attention, is some how our fault. :ph34r::blink:  When I tell her, "GPS is wrong & I'm not turning here!"  She goes into overdrive...then later, when she finds out, that I was right.  She goes into a pout...no more words, for a blessed 30+ minutes! :rolleyes:  Linda can't stand it, that I have a photographic memory...:D Until someone, like your DW asks her for some direction or where we stayed 3 years ago...I tell Linda and she passes that on, as if she knew! :blink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Twaggenspack said:

With the demise of the Good Sam's trip planner, we are looking for a new trip planning tool. We've looked into several options, but want a simple planning tool with campground lists, not a super cost calculator, road planner, menu tracker etc. We just a simple road planner with typical road hazard warnings and campground recommendations.  If you've ever used the Good Sam's version, you know what we are looking for.

Also, the only way to export the Good Sam's is to a PDF file. We have many extensive trips and would like to find a way to import (highly unlikely) or convert (more unlikely) into a new system.

What do you use?

Welcome  to the forum. We like RV Parky https://www.rvparky.com/ not the RV specific version, 

http://www.campgroundreviews.com/https://www.google.com/maps and of course GasBuddy.

Bill

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't ask a person that lives in a particular area if they know of a good park in their area, They may know if there are parks in their area but they haven't stayed at them. Well some people may take a trip to the local RV Park and stay there when they are 2 miles from home, but....:wacko:

Now someone that has traveled through the town where you would like to stay is the one to ask, like Bill. I think he has stayed in at least 80% of the RV Parks in the usa.:rolleyes:

Herman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or Joe!  DB in New Hampshire, knows areas in Main!  I don't mind tapping in to local knowledge...learn a lot that way!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

Now someone that has traveled through the town where you would like to stay is the one to ask, like Bill. I think he has stayed in at least 80% of the RV Parks in the usa.:rolleyes:

Not yet Herman but working on it. Till we got tasked with hosting a rally We had never stayed in a park close to home. The usual first stop after leaving was Little Rock, Amarillo, Houston, or Odesa.

We have visited more of the local campgrounds now. Mostly with the objective to see if they would be a good place to hold a rally, not if they would be "That Great Place to Stay" Most of the time they are the same  though.

Bill  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

They may know if there are parks in their area but they haven't stayed at them.

That's us! I drove through a few for people asking for local places, but never stayed at any. One that is close to us I have used their dump station several times to clean out the tanks after a long trip home. I haven't stayed there nor would I ever recommend someone stay there :o, yeah, its that bad!

We have stayed at the Jellystone that is local to us when the kids were smaller, they have a fantastic water park for kids and lots of kid activities. The issue they are creeping up onto $200 per night in peak season. Kids are to old now and their pricing...so you wont see me there! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

Ok, I thought it was further.:o  Well it sounds more impressive that you drove 50 miles to come see me rather than 14.:D

Bill

:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/26/2019 at 7:14 PM, jleamont said:

 Carl, we have the FMCA Atlas, truckers atlas, The next Exit and numerous maps (I’m being nice) her Maps have Maps :lol:, I swear when they get wet (stored in the compartment in the stairwell) they reproduce :ph34r:. She’s a navigator, boat charting and all.

I look over the trip as outlined above she puts an expert eye on it. Then I make a wrong turn when she’s not paying attention and I hear about it around the campfire for the next 10 years :lol:

 

On 2/26/2019 at 7:52 PM, manholt said:

:lol: That non-attention, is some how our fault. :ph34r::blink:  When I tell her, "GPS is wrong & I'm not turning here!"  She goes into overdrive...then later, when she finds out, that I was right.  She goes into a pout...no more words, for a blessed 30+ minutes! :rolleyes:  Linda can't stand it, that I have a photographic memory...:D Until someone, like your DW asks her for some direction or where we stayed 3 years ago...I tell Linda and she passes that on, as if she knew! :blink:

I swear I didn't know my wife had two other sisters.👿

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just received an email from GS telling me the trip planner ends Mar 10. OK, so far so good, but then they continue to explain they "hope" the new trip  planner will be launched by the end of 2019??????  That sounds like someone has a bad case of ignorance. Wonder if they must attend some school to learn that lack of planning?

Perhaps the good folks at FMCA who designed this new website image.png.5c9a5e92dc8396d99966914bfa406885.png could offer to help them out with planning, software design and coordinating old vs new website replacement dates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I received another email explaining the GS trip planner details. The trip software company tripled the monthly price to GS, thus the Mar 10 drop and eventual replacement. I'll probably stay with furkot.com for a trip planner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×