artie349

Extended stay Propane Adapter

Hi Folks,

I'm looking for a little help. I have a '05 Monaco Cayman 36' diesel class A. A couple years ago the wife and I sold the house and went full time. Our home base is Tomah, WI., the rest is travel. Lately we've experienced, at home or on the road, cold spells that use up the propane and make us break camp to go fill up.

I'd like to be able to hook up a carry along tank to hook up when needed.

I tried a couple RV sales/service dealers and they told me it can't be done. I called a mobile repair service. He said no problem, I'll be there with a "Stay-Longer Kit" and you will be going in no time. When he got there and looked it over and crawled underneath, he said he has no idea how he would be able to install it.

If someone can tell me how to do it, I'd be beholding to them. I don't need to use the "Stay-Longer Kit", a home remedy would be fine.

Robert Trella F423955

artie349@yahoo.com

615-836-8333

Welcome to the forum. Yes I know about how fast you can burn through propane when it gets cold out. 

Adding a extend a stay is pretty simple if you are at all handy with tools. Here are a couple youtube videos that give you some idea of how it is to install.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rucge4w1UGA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggWhFZPAmig

Then if you want to be able to hook up your main tank to your bbq grill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbp4LiOjXbI

Just be aware some people don't know that portable tanks are generally listed by how many pounds they hold not gallons, as in 20# or 30#. I have found that a 40# tank is as big as I want to deal with.

If after watching the videos and you can't see how to plumb it in take some pictures please.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Bill

Did the mobile repair guy give you any indication of why he wasn't able to install the kit? From your description it sounds like he wasn't able to gain access to the necessary gas line plumbing parts, but that's just a guess. Perhaps the problem is that there is not room the install the necessary hardware?

Can you post a few photos of the bay holding your propane tank(s) as well as the area surrounding the plumbing?

You are not coming off the tank with pol fittings so you can not use the kit 

change the male pipe connector with a male run tee and use a sealing cap until you want to add a tank with a flex hose 

I'm no LP expert, but it seems to me that if your remote tank has it's own regulator, then you could install a 'T' fitting between the existing regulator and the flex line coming out the end of it? After the 'T' fitting, a shut off valve and then a quick connect fitting similar to what is used to connect outdoor grills. The quick connect would be used to hook up the portable tank.

On the portable tank you'd need a regulator and a hose terminating in the mating piece to the quick connect fitting mounted on the coach.

A LP dealer or repair shop should be able to build the necessary hose(s) for this and advise on the best fittings to use.

There was a lengthy thread on a similar issue recently - probably some great advice in there.

Where does that capped pipe with shutoff beside the fill and 80% bleed go 

Is that gas 

You can add a tee where the short coupling just to left of the regulator, use cut off valve at the third fitting with a quick connect for the add on tank. Just to the left appears to be a cutoff valve which you will need to shutoff whenever you want to add the portable tank, open the new addon valve to allow gas to flow into the regulator at this point. Always be careful to turn off the addon valve before removing the portable tank. Most RV stores and larger hardware stores carry the hoses to run from the portable tank to your quick disconnect fitting.

9_IMG_20190228_115237099.jpg

start -here.jpg

Quick disconnects approved for gas are only rated for 1/2 psi or 14in wc 

unregulated propane on an average day will be over 100psi 

Quick disconnects need to be on 11inwc side 

Image result for propane vapor pressure chart