tom3249

Traveling the Natchez Trail in a motorhome

Question

looking for information( gas, campgrounds (FHU) on the Natchez tail heading from Nashville to Jackson, Ms.  I thinking a 2 or 3 day trip. Travel dates in June

14 answers to this question

49 minutes ago, tom3249 said:

looking for information( gas, campgrounds (FHU) on the Natchez tail heading from Nashville to Jackson, Ms.  I thinking a 2 or 3 day trip. Travel dates in June

Welcome to the forum. I haven't driven  that route. It looks like about 385 miles on google maps. It did look like a fairly nice 2 lane road but a little narrow. I would use RV park reviews and RV-Parkey to look for places to stay. Someone will probably be on later who knows the area better.

Bill

We have driven the whole Natchez Trace-- last in a 38' DP towing.  A beautiful drive.  There are both commercial and some park CG's (some free) on the Trace.

Be sure to adhere to the speed limit!

We were on a part of it for many miles in our 43' towing. No problems.  We took it because at that time we called and the person on duty stated that the 55' length was an old law.

With that said I just called the Parkway and spoke with Andie and she said that the 55' length is a must and it is also a Mississippi State Law. (Don't shoot the messenger)

Yes, it is a two lane road but no worse in width than any other 2 lane road.

For information Natchez Trace Pkwy and RV's

Edited: I just sent an email to The Trace asking for clarification.

Like Brett, I was down it 2 years ago, nice and slow, since there is so much to look at...Late October for Fall Foliage!  Beautiful and had no problems in my 45' + Jeep!  The few LEO's I saw waved & I waved! 

Reply to my question. Read it and weep.

"

Thank you for your interest in the Natchez Trace Parkway. Hopefully I can clarify this. 
1) The 40,000 pound limit only applies to commercial vehicles, which are not allowed anyway. RVs do not have a weight limit. We have removed this from our website.
2) The Natchez Trace Parkway is a national park and adheres to federal regulations. According to the Code of Federal Regulations, (CFR Title 36-Chapter 1-Part 4-

§4.11   Load, weight and size limits.

(a) Vehicle load, weight and size limits established by State law apply to a vehicle operated on a park road. However, the superintendent may designate more restrictive limits when appropriate for traffic safety or protection of the road surface. The superintendent may require a permit and establish conditions for the operation of a vehicle exceeding designated limits. 

You can access the entire CFR here: 

https://gov.ecfr.io/cgi-bin/ECFR

In our Superintendent's Compendium, you will see where our superintendent designated more restrictive limits because our roads are only 11 feet wide, and the 55 foot length was determined to be the maximum safe length. We do not charge recreational vehicles with a weight restriction. 

I have copied and pasted the pertinent information from the compendium for you. 

(a)(1) Recreational and non-recreational hauling regulations: Hauling associated with recreational activities is intended to include activities such as camping, boating, horseback riding, and ATV use. Hauling of multiple pieces of recreational equipment on a single trailer is permitted provided the total vehicle and trailer length does not exceed 55 feet.   

You can download the entire compendium here - 

https://www.nps.gov/natr/learn/management/superintendents-compendium.htm

Jane Allen Farmer
Park Ranger, Interpretation
2680 Natchez Trace Parkway
Tupelo, MS 38804
662-680-4015 or 4027
Work Cell 662-401-7208
FAX 662-680-4041

2 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

Reply to my question. Read it and weep.

"

Thank you for your interest in the Natchez Trace Parkway. Hopefully I can clarify this. 
1) The 40,000 pound limit only applies to commercial vehicles, which are not allowed anyway. RVs do not have a weight limit. We have removed this from our website.
2) The Natchez Trace Parkway is a national park and adheres to federal regulations. According to the Code of Federal Regulations, (CFR Title 36-Chapter 1-Part 4-

§4.11   Load, weight and size limits.

(a) Vehicle load, weight and size limits established by State law apply to a vehicle operated on a park road. However, the superintendent may designate more restrictive limits when appropriate for traffic safety or protection of the road surface. The superintendent may require a permit and establish conditions for the operation of a vehicle exceeding designated limits. 

You can access the entire CFR here: 

https://gov.ecfr.io/cgi-bin/ECFR

In our Superintendent's Compendium, you will see where our superintendent designated more restrictive limits because our roads are only 11 feet wide, and the 55 foot length was determined to be the maximum safe length. We do not charge recreational vehicles with a weight restriction. 

I have copied and pasted the pertinent information from the compendium for you. 

(a)(1) Recreational and non-recreational hauling regulations: Hauling associated with recreational activities is intended to include activities such as camping, boating, horseback riding, and ATV use. Hauling of multiple pieces of recreational equipment on a single trailer is permitted provided the total vehicle and trailer length does not exceed 55 feet.   

You can download the entire compendium here - 

https://www.nps.gov/natr/learn/management/superintendents-compendium.htm

Jane Allen Farmer
Park Ranger, Interpretation
2680 Natchez Trace Parkway
Tupelo, MS 38804
662-680-4015 or 4027
Work Cell 662-401-7208
FAX 662-680-4041

Shot me down, toad, tow bar and coach are 60'.2'

Great research Wayne!

Sucks big time. The laws were written when motorhomes and toads were well under 55 feet.  Strange is that the weight limitations are for commercial vehicles and commercial vehicles are not allowed on the Parkway. Go figure.

An observation.

If motorhome plus toad are too long, consider driving separately.  Speed limit is 45-50.  Easy drive and beautiful.

Worth the small extra effort.

11 minutes ago, wolfe10 said:

An observation.

If motorhome plus toad are too long, consider driving separately.  Speed limit is 45-50.  Easy drive and beautiful.

Worth the small extra effort.

Problem is we are a 5th wheel and are 58 feet nose to tail plus the bike carrier.  Kind of hard to unhook and pull the beast with a bicycle.  

We have been told by a few that they went on it at 60 ft and no issue.  My luck would be I'd get stopped.

Ken

Tiffin owners use it everyday.  Short distance from Red Bay and then straight down to Jackson!   Never heard of any problems and I used it, when I had the Allegro Bus, both ways. 

Wayne, your info is probably correct.  It will not stop me, from showing it to Linda this fall.  To err on the side of caution, we will do as Brett suggested.  As for no commercial trucks, have seen many 18 wheeler's making both food and beer deliveries at places, up & down the Trace.  There are many small intersections, and those trucks can't or wont go around.

Don't y'all shoot the messenger, and I'm just the messenger.

I have seen signs "No commercial vehicles," but I have not seen a sign stating longer than 55' excluded.  They assume a lot thinking people read the rules on their web site.

Yes, I do understand that Bill. Not much conversation on the subject.  Like I said, when I called last year they said "Go ahead."  Just so we all understand that at any time they CAN pull us over and cite us.  Personally I'd be more concerned about weight than length. the length of a vehicle doesn't damage roads, but weight can if the road is ot constructed correctly or is very old.

11 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

The length of a vehicle doesn't damage roads, but weight can if the road is not constructed correctly or is very old.

That covers a lot of roads in the east/north east.:lol:

Bill