fagnaml

Opinions Please -- 2016 Newmar Ventana LE 4037

The wife and I need the forum's opinion about the 2016 Newmar Ventana LE 4037 motorhome.   Is it a good quality / good reliability motorhome?   Any major concerns with this model?  Reason for asking is our first ever motorhome (2007 Damon Astoria 3774) that we purchased 3-1/2 years ago is showing its age with vinyl graphics cracking.   The cost to replace the vinyl graphics and re-paint "in kind" is $8000 -$9500 per quotes received from three separate RV paint and body shops from Katy to Houston to Nacogdoches.   That sum of money is not worth spending on the Damon when it has a trade-in value of ~$40,000.

National Indoor RV in Dallas has a nice looking, reasonable priced pre-owned 2016 Newmar Ventana LE 4037 that we plan to view this weekend --> https://www.nirvc.com/Sales/Inventory/3693CC   Since a motorhome will always be a just a family toy (i.e. weekend outings, 1-2 week trips, etc.), even during retirement 3-4 years from now, we don't want to spend a quarter million or more on a big, tandem axle model.    We'd appreciate the forum's opinion, especially from Newmar Ventana LE owners, about the Ventana LE 4037.   Good, bad or so/so motorhome?

Thanks for your thoughts!!

IMHO, yours won't go down must in 3 to 4 years. I myself would wait until just before retiring and then think of trading.  Then if you want to finance the coach you would have a income that would help with the rate. 

Newmar has in the past produced a fine quality coach. I am not sure about now. I have a friend that has a 2016 King Aire that has been in National Indoor RVs shop about 30% of the time and is there right now for warranty work (hae has an extended warranty and is glad he got). But it is a beautiful  coach.

Herman

Herman, is that Charlie? 

Mike.  Newmar is dependable and after market service is the best.  I have seen some in TCC getting warranty work done, but have never heard anything bad about the LE model.  You and DW have the bug & I understand...we do too!  :P  If you like it, take it for a test drive...main rd, back rd, curves, up to 65 if you can.  Have DW or you, listen for unusual noises, leaning, swaying, etc.  Before test drive & after, run all slides in/out/in, use the Jacks and get it level.  DOT on tires, batteries.  Most important, where did the coach live before?  Don't forget the FLOOD of Hurricane Harvey!  If you see waves on outside skin, you might have delamination, also look at ceiling inside and against corners, for water spots!  Run all roof AC's, heat strip, furnace, gas/elect stove.  

If the Dealer squawks at any of the above...walk away! :lol:

MIke,

Any chance of just removing the graphics and buffing out where they were.  Nothing wrong with a bare naked RV.

3 hours ago, manholt said:

Ray, for 2019 it does show up to 40' 10"...no tag.  Cummins 340 to 360 hp.

That would be 700 to 800 ft pounds of torque with the 6.7 L.  HP means nothing if you so slow going up a grade.  

9 minutes ago, huffypuff said:

That would be 700 to 800 ft pounds of torque with the 6.7 L.  HP means nothing if you so slow going up a grade.  

Yes the 6.7 is the upgraded 5.9 that I have. You just have to downshift and keep your rpm up (Don't lug the engine) watch your EGT and you can climb any hill. 

Bill

3 minutes ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

Yes the 6.7 is the upgraded 5.9 that I have. You just have to downshift and keep your rpm up (Don't lug the engine) watch your EGT and you can climb any hill. 

Bill

I have no problem leaving mine in D-6 and in economy mode.  At least you have the 3000mh transmission not the 2500 the 6.7 has.  When I had a 5.9 coach it had the 450 trans and I could tow with it.  

Some Cummins B engined coaches did/do have the Allison 3000 transmission.

Transmission choice is up to the coach/chassis builder. Yes, it is more expensive than the smaller series transmissions.

Perhaps a more accurate statement is that the GVWR and GCWR are less for 1000 and 2000 series Allison transmissions than for the 3000.

So, yes, it is possible that some heavier coaches with the "lesser" transmission may already be maxed out or only have a  small "surplus" capacity for a toad.

11 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

First I had heard you can't tow with a 2500 Allison.

Bill

My 2008 Winnebago Destination with a 340 cummins and a 2500 transmission with fly-by-wire controller towed my 2007 Saturn and then my 2013 Lincoln MKX with no problems. Destination was GVW or 27,400 with GCVW of around 32,000 I think.

I asked Cummins about increasing the HP to 350 and they said they could not do it because the transmission would not take it.

Before commenting on engines/transmissions/towing capacity, let me first say that after a very successful visit to National Indoor RV in Dallas this past Saturday (3/2/19) and an impressive test drive / test all things on the 2016 Newmar Ventana LE that the wife and I decided to purchase the Ventana.  We were very impressed with the construction design and quality (yes the engineer in me shows when looking into the details of a motorhome).   And the Comfort Drive system was quite impressive while test driving at 65 mph in rather strong cross-winds this past Saturday.   The wife is happy to have a much nicer motorhome and even more happy that I'm not spending $8500 - $9000 replacing vinyl graphics.  Also, thus far NIRV has provided very good customer service.

The Ventana LE has a 360 HP Cummins  ISB (6.7 L) with an Allison 3000 transmission to give a towing capacity of 5,000 lbs. which is the same as I have today with my Damon Astoria.  The Astoria has a 300 HP Cummins ISB (5.9L) with Allison 2500 transmission and a tow capacity of 5,000 lbs.   The Astoria easily tows my 4,000 lbs. Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara.

Quick update.  The wife and I took delivery of our new-to-us 2016 Newmar Ventana LE 4037 this past Thursday, March 21, 2019, at National Indoor RV Center (NIRV) in Lewisville, TX (northwest side of Dallas).   The service provided by NIRV was exceptional !!   We spent the first two nights in NIRV's on-site campground with our "old" Damon Astoria parked next to our "new" Newmar Ventana LE.   After a four hour long walk-through of the Ventana by a very knowledgeable technician on Thursday afternoon, we then spent all of Friday moving "stuff" from the Damon to the Ventana and testing "everything" on the Ventana.  Our technician checked on us frequently and made immediate repairs as we discovered them. Good news was all of the repairs were very minor e.g. new clip for support rod on generator access door, repair latch to allow the pilot chair to pivot, replace a couple of storage compartment light bulbs, adjust entry steps operation, etc.  

After departing NIRV mid-day Saturday, we spent Saturday afternoon through Monday morning (3/23 - 25) at The Vineyards RV Resort in Grapevine, TX "just in case" another problem was discovered before departing for home.  Great news is no other problems found!   The drive from Grapevine to Katy, TX in very breezy conditions yesterday was nearly effortless thanks to Newmar's Comfort Drive system which is remarkable.

The attached photo of our new Ventana LE is from our "perch" (space #40) on the shore of Grapevine Lake at The Vineyards RV Resort.   The Vineyards is a very nice, very spacious, well kept resort with fantastic camp hosts and service.  Historic Main Street in Grapevine is fun to explore.  The 48 hours we had is not near enough time to enjoy all that the Grapevine area has to offer.

2016 Ventana LE.JPG

28 minutes ago, fagnaml said:

The Vineyards is a very nice, very spacious, well kept resort with fantastic camp hosts and service

I am glad they are back open. They had been closed because of flooding.

Congratulations on the new coach.

Bill