Sign in to follow this  
floridaroom5

Cummins 340hp 6.7 ISB oil dipstick

Good morning, New owner, I have searched all the manuals looking for the way to read the oil dipstick when doing a oil level check. The dipstick has a twist at the end and I have to assume if the oil level is over the twist the level is ok. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Thomas,

You chassis maker or coach maker fit that LONG dip stick tube and dipstick, not Cummins.

So, check with them or look in their owners manual on how to read the dip stick.

You could always "calibrate" your dipstick. That will let you know what range you should be looking at. This works better if you change your own oil. If not it will give you your "full" line.

If you go to Cummins quickserve you can register your engine serial number and find the correct oil capacity for your engine. I bet it is 16q with filter.

https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/index.html

When you change the oil you add 12 qt the start the engine to fill the filter. let it set (overnight is best) on a level spot then mark the dipstick. Next add the remaining oil and repeat. Now you know the levels are correct. 

Bill

Bill is spot on. Many of the ISB dipsticks are out of calibration. I found this out when I had my first oil change at Gaffney. I don't remember exactly but I think I was 2 qts short according to the dipstick. 

Just now, elkhartjim said:

Bill is spot on. Many of the ISB dipsticks are out of calibration. I found this out when I had my first oil change at Gaffney. I don't remember exactly but I think I was 2 qts short according to the dipstick. 

Correct.

Goes right back to "the dipstick is NOT a Cummins PN, but one fit by the chassis/coach maker.

Calibration is an excellent idea and costs zero when doing an oil change.

As said doing it at the time of an oil change is best. However it would also be good to check with your engine manufacture to be sure how many quarts your engine. Be sure and give them your engine serial number and they will know exactly how many quarts your engine holds.   

Herman

1 hour ago, hermanmullins said:

As said doing it at the time of an oil change is best. However it would also be good to check with your engine manufacture to be sure how many quarts your engine. Be sure and give them your engine serial number and they will know exactly how many quarts your engine holds.   

Herman

You will also need the PN for the oil pan. Some coach manufacturer change the oil pan to better fit their chassis.

Jim 

Jim, I don't think the coach manufacturer change the oil pan, they may spec a different pan from Cummins. This is why you need to have your engine serial number when you go to               https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/index.html

Quickserve is the same thing your Cummins parts guy looks at. That's why they ask for your engine serial number at the parts counter. 

Also when looking things up don't be confused lots of information out there is for the "Dodge Cummins". It is not the same engine as used in RV builds. I know from experience the oil filter is a different size thread and the pan is different capacity.

Bill