Sign in to follow this  
rwitt

Coach Step on Monaco Not Working Properly

I have a 2008 Monaco Camelot with a Coachnet step and control module # 301702.  I had to replace the magnetic switch and now the step doesn't work properly.  It still expands/retracts when door is opened/closed.  However, now it will not remain out when coach is parked and and door is closed.  Also, it does not retract when ignition is engaged.  Any suggestions?

Rwitt,

Are you sure your steps Coachnet? I have a Monaco and my steps are Kwikee. However your step may be Lippert which has a Control Module 301702. I would contact Lippert tech department. I believe you have a wire crossed or miss placed. 229-423-7884.

Herman

Herman.

Lipper bought Kwiee.  I think it was in 2004.  Cross wired or loos ground.  Rwitt, did you replace the switch or someone else?

I replaced the switch.  I have checked with Lippert and they were no help.  I've checked the ground and it appears to be good.  I don't know how there could be a crossed wire.  The switch has two wires coming out and I tired them in to the two wires from the harness.  Lippert support confirmed that it didn't matter which wire was connected to the wires from the harness which I thought was the case.  I did go back and reverse them and it makes no difference.  The step has the name coachnet on it.  Lippert confirmed that is correct according to my VIN.  The motor and controller are Lippert.

As far fetched as it sounds, your new switch could be bad.  Other option is a wire in the harness could be chewed on and causing a periodic short.

It sounds as though now that the magnetic switch is now working, there is a control module issue. The fact that the step now goes in and out when the door is opened or closed that the replacement of that switch was a good move. The control module would be my next suspect, maybe as simple as a an adjustment now is in order, but you will need to find the correct steps for testing it. I saw a youtube video not long ago with the proper procedure for testing but not able to find it just now.

You need to check all wires and connections that are exposed to the elements for bad connection and broken wires. Not sure of you location, if you are traveling in areas where they use salt on the roads make these problems more likely.

Jim

9 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

Rwitt,

Are you sure your steps Coachnet? I have a Monaco and my steps are Kwikee. However your step may be Lippert which has a Control Module 301702. I would contact Lippert tech department. I believe you have a wire crossed or miss placed. 229-423-7884.

Herman

I had to fix my step and it's Coach step part of Lippert.  

17 hours ago, Rwitt said:

I have a 2008 Monaco Camelot with a Coachnet step and control module # 301702.  I had to replace the magnetic switch and now the step doesn't work properly.  It still expands/retracts when door is opened/closed.  However, now it will not remain out when coach is parked and and door is closed.  Also, it does not retract when ignition is engaged.  Any suggestions?

This link will help you troubleshoot 

https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/support/manuals/Steps/CCD_0001619.pdf

After looking at trouble I believe that the yellow wire don't have power with the ignition switch on.  That will draw the step in.  I check further for the other problem.  Be sure the yellow and red wire not working reverse at module plug.  

43 minutes ago, huffypuff said:

This link will help you troubleshoot 

https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/support/manuals/Steps/CCD_0001619.pdf

After looking at trouble I believe that the yellow wire don't have power with the ignition switch on.  That will draw the step in.  I check further for the other problem.  Be sure the yellow and red wire not working reverse at module plug.  

Is the fuse for the yellow wire in the outside panel below drivers seat or is it inline somewhere?

1 hour ago, Rwitt said:

Is the fuse for the yellow wire in the outside panel below drivers seat or is it inline somewhere?

I guess you mean the left front outside compartment?  You have to look inside a big removal panel and the label is inside it of what fuse is what.  Otherwise go under the coach and test the yellow with the ignition on and off.  

It's fixed.  Thanks for all the help,  Here is how it was fixed.  Background first:   found out the entry door magnetic switches that REV and Lippert gave me part numbers for were incorrect.  They were contact switches only with no electronic function internal to the switch.  That's why the step would extend/retract when door opened/closed, but wouldn't stay out with door closed or retract when ignition was on.

Mystery solved.  The correct switch for my coach is part# 16622748 Desc: SWITCH DOOR ENTRY .75 MAGNETIC WHITE.  As soon as I installed that switch everything worked exactly like it was supposed to.