jeffdaley

How do I Purchase Fuel without Dollar Limits

Is there a process that can be used so we can fill our Dutch Star DP. We have been limited to $100 dollars at the pump and in some cases could not get more by going to the attendant. Using several credit cards and sometimes moving to a new pump is time-consuming and does not make sense. Truckers have accounts at certain stations but that does not apply for our use. How do the road warriors handle this problem? Thanks!

I use truck stops, in truck lanes.  Go inside and tell them the pump # and Dollar amount, $250, 300 or 400.  It's a 50/50, sometimes they keep the card, other times they don't.  i only get charged for what i use and have never had a problem.  I have a 188 gal. tank, but try not to go over 100 per stop! 

A few suggestions...

1) Some stations will have a preset limit per swipe - not much you can do about that but swipe again and again as needed. Oddly, MasterCard will often have a $100 limit but Visa will stop at $75, at least on stations around here. They say it's got something to do with how their swipe systems are set up. Usually there is no problem with just swiping again and restarting the whole process.

2) If the attendant allows, I've had luck getting them to turn on the pump so that I can fill all the way up by leaving my driver's license and credit card with them at the desk.

3) Better option, use a truck fuel station and not an automotive/RV station. They are usually better set up for large fill ups. However, I've run across stations on a few tollways that could not authorize a fill up unless you've got a fleet card. Getting a fleet card is an option if you're going to use their stations.

4) Similar to #3, get a card from Pilot/Flying J through Good Sam and set it up with Pilot/Flying J for use as a credit card. Isn't difficult to set up, and once you've got it filling the tank is much easier. However, in many truck stops you'll still have to go to the fuel desk to get the pump turned on since their outside control pads don't always work. https://www.rvpluscard.com/default.aspx

I have the Pilot/Flying card and it works well. You do have to pay it off monthly. I really haven't had a problem using a debit or credit card. Having to re swipe isn't that big of a challenge to me. I like big truck stops because they are easy in out and the dispensers flow at a much higher rate. Be careful as diesel will foam and blow back up the fill tube if you aren't careful.

The best card is my Kroger card when it has a $1.00 discount on it.:lol: To bad it is only good for 35 gal.:o

Bill

1 hour ago, manholt said:

I use truck stops, in truck lanes.  Go inside and tell them the pump # and Dollar amount, $250, 300 or 400.  It's a 50/50, sometimes they keep the card, other times they don't.  i only get charged for what i use and have never had a problem.  I have a 188 gal. tank, but try not to go over 100 per stop! 

image.png.7c11636d334b6abbcc3fb31e8b393bf8.png DW takes card inside and obtains pre-authorization, clerk turns on pump, I fill and pull ahead. By the time I get inside DW has bill paid and CC in hand waiting for me to go get a bite to eat.

Down here in the Texas, Oklahoma area we have stations called "QT" (Quick Trip). They have a card called "Pump Start",which you swipe the card, fill up then go in and pay. Some stations will open the pump if you or the DW goes in and ask to fill up then pay. If you have or use one card for fuel only you might contact the CC company to see if they can set it up to go more than $100.00 at a time.

Herman

I will not leave my CC with a multi thousand limit in the hands of a minimum wage clerk.  My wife will go in with the card and get the pump started and she stands there and keeps an eye on the clerk and card.

The pump cut off is set by the station and not the CC company.

Ken

3 minutes ago, TXiceman said:

I will not leave my CC with a multi thousand limit in the hands of a minimum wage clerk.  My wife will go in with the card and get the pump started and she stands there and keeps an eye on the clerk and card.

The pump cut off is set by the station and not the CC company.

Ken

Funny how different we are on this. I have absolutely no hesitation leaving my Capital One card with a clerk since I have zero liability should something go wrong. I get instant notifications every time the card is used, and one swipe on my phone and the card is shut down and useless to anyone. The main reason I keep that card is because they seem to do a much better job on security than other banks I've got cards through.

Of course, when I go inside and talk to the clerk I'm also evaluating the situation. If the place looks sketchy or if there are other reasons for concern I can easily just go down the road. If I have reason to suspect the staff behind the desk, then I also have reason to suspect the fuel in the tanks and everything else about the place.

I have had the Pilot/Flying J card for years and always fill up, never had any problem at RV or Truck pumps. I always plan ahead to stop at Pilot/Flying J whenever possible.

14 hours ago, RayIN said:

image.png.7c11636d334b6abbcc3fb31e8b393bf8.png DW takes card inside and obtains pre-authorization, clerk turns on pump, I fill and pull ahead. By the time I get inside DW has bill paid and CC in hand waiting for me to go get a bite to eat.

We do this in locations where the Good Sam card doesn't work, otherwise I only fill up with that GS Pilot Flying J card. 

4 hours ago, manholt said:

RayIN, I didn't want to say, "I send Linda in with card, in rain, sleet or snow"! :P

My is a Linda also, and yup she is always the one to walk to the fuel desk too.

As to amount for pump shut-off. That is controlled by the CC processing company/clearing house at the direction of station local management. I once emailed Discover and asked this question. The reply was " to limit the amount of sales is counterproductive to our business goal, which is to make money".  I printed that out and carried it with me for a few years. I would show it to desk clerks when they tried to tell me it was the CC setting the limit. Every time I got that deer in the headlights look in response.

I use my Merrill Lynch Visa card, had it since 1985.  Never had an issue, anywhere...in Venice, Italy, you have to leave the card along with your PP at the reception...Hilton.  Same in most small French towns.  I must be very Lucky!  I do have set amounts on it.  Now that we also have the chip, life is good. :D

I do not own a debit card...those will walk! :ph34r:

Only been doing this two years, but went cross country last year. I found that in stations that limit you to 100 bux or so, you have to go inside first... hope this helps

Ha ha! I've fooled them several times. Our CC company issues us two cards, one for me, one for her. The numbers are different but the account is the same. They did this i case a card was lost or stolen then they could stop that card and the other would be good until new cards could be issued. I like the policy.  So when my card fills up at the pump I use the other card with a different number.

it is not the CC company but the vendor. Don't ask a clerk as they have no idea.

Pilot/Flying J is the way to go.

The locations and parking are convenient and the folks there are nice.

They sent me a bill once for $285.76.

I mistakenly paid $285.67.

Wrote it in the checkbook correctly. Hit the keys out of order in the banking program.

They wrote off the $.09 without the slightest complaint.

That $.09 gave them a customer for life.

Stevenjett,  9 cents is easy for them.   They over charge fuel by 30 cents a gallon and sometimes more.  No thanks, I'll skip Flying J and Pilot.

Ken

An old thread, but my take is: No more going into a station, giving them your CC or telling them how much fuel you want, going back out, pumping fuel, going back inside to stand in line, retrieve receipt and CC, back out side. Oh, and after fueling move forward before going back in.

With the PFJ Card, pull up to the pump run card, pump as much fuel as you need, drive off. Also get 6 to 8 cents off a gallon and I have not seen a 30 cent difference. I'll pay more attention to prices on next leg of trip

As stated, it is the service station that sets the amount that can be placed on a CC when fueling. If there were not as many thieves driving off without paying prices may not have been set.

4 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

With the PFJ Card, pull up to the pump run card, pump as much fuel as you need, drive off. Also get 6 to 8 cents off a gallon and I have not seen a 30 cent difference. I'll pay more attention to prices on next leg of trip

Wyne, my experience on the last trip North East was some times PFJ was higher than the local competition but not $0.30+. When they are the same the 8  cent discount is nice.

Some of the cheaper stations did not have good acess. Some of the cheaper stations were a long way from my rout and through unknown congested areas. I will pay a little more for the convenience factor. Gas Buddy is your friend.

Used loves a couple of times. Yes you have to go inside and tell them how much you want and swipe your card. I usually tell them $350.00. Go pump what you need to fill up, then go get your receipt. They only charge for what you actually pump. (always pull forward first)

Tell me what stations won't let you re start the pumps (after it maxes out) with the same card? I have never run into that. My fav local station is a Kroger. I have started the pump 3 times during one fill up with the same card, as they only go to 35 gal each time. Wish it was more when I have enough points to get a $1.00 off per gal.:P

Bill

We usually use Pilot/Flying J...yep, it's a bit more, but at least you know the diesel is fresh and don't have to worry about getting boxed in a smaller station.  Also, we avoid going in, telling them how much we want, giving them the card, etc.  With the Pilot card that comes with Good Sam, we run it at the pump, get how much we want, no limit, then take a picture of the pump showing number, amount purchased, number of gallons, etc....and leave...don't go in for a receipt.  It's worked so far.  The bill is auto drafted from the checking account.

We use Pilot Flying J almost exclusively. I can't say that I have ever seen them priced .30 cents higher than others in fact generally they are very competitive. Sometimes they are cheaper than others in the area. 

I'm always amazed when some will drive several miles to saves a few cents and the hold time you're burning $3 fuel looking to save a nickel. To each their own and thankfully I'm not to the point financially I need to worry about saving a few dollars driving to a station and finding out I can't get in there. I remember seeing some time ago, "its funny watching an rver driving a $500,000.00 rig looking for a cheap place to stay".

31 minutes ago, elkhartjim said:

I'm always amazed when some will drive several miles to saves a few cents and the hold time you're burning $3 fuel looking to save a nickel. To each their own and thankfully I'm not to the point financially I need to worry about saving a few dollars driving to a station and finding out I can't get in there. I remember seeing some time ago, "its funny watching an rver driving a $500,000.00 rig looking for a cheap place to stay".

I'm with you!

Bill,

It is the independent Shell, Texaco, Chevron, Mom & Pop. Used to be $50 but with the increase in costs the service stations have raised it to $75. Trying to re-run the card will not work. I've gotten around the $75 limit on occasion when I did have to stop at those type stations by going inside and leaving my CC. Don't like doing that anymore.

Jim, I agree. Saving a few pennies or at $0.06, $6 is just not worth the hassle of driving around. Being 43 feet and towing I like the PFJ Stops. Never saw a $0.30 difference,

We just experienced this on the way to Florida. Pilot/FJ were 15 cents higher just off of the interstate. I used gas buddy to see what was cheaper. The farther from I95 inland the cheaper, it went up to almost 25 cents per gallon savings. DW points out, how old is the fuel, can we get in and out safely, how long will it take, and how much fuel will we burn getting to and from?? All good questions. I whipped out my Goodsam fuel card and stopped at a Pilot. I was in and out in maybe 10-15 minutes. 

Time is money, I am on vacation and didn’t want an 11 hour day to turn into a 12 hour day. We had a campground to get to before 9pm.

the last time I went out of my way for cheap fuel we got Diesel bugs that i fought for over a year to get rid of.