hoskey

no suction at the water pump

I have water to the pump but none coming out.  I remove the hose on the intake side and cannot feel any suction with the pump on.  Shouldn't there be?

hoskey,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Pump may be bad, but before concluding that open a couple of faucets all the way and try it again.  If that doesn't get water flowing, see if you can blow in or otherwise slightly pressurize the supply line from tank to pump.

Also, make sure the small clear plastic cup on the suction side is tight and or not cracked.

how old is the pump? Is this the first time this season you used it after being stored for the winter?

The pump is a couple of years old.  We are full-timers.  We were in a park for a month and hooked to water, so we didn't use the pump.  When we disconnected from the water, it wouldn't pump.  I disconnected the supply line, sucked it until there was water, then reconnected it.  The little filter is fine.  Shouldn't there be suction if i put my finger over the intake? 

You wont't feel any suction if the check valves aren't seating of if the diaphragm is torn. Most likely one of the internal check valves in the pump isn't seating.  I would try taking a 3 ft piece of hose and connect to pump intake, fill hose with water, start pump and pressure the hose to see if you can flush the pump which may clear anything that prevent the check valve from seating properly. 

Jim

Do you hear the pump motor going at all? If you do and the pump is not moving water, the you might have a build up of crud inside the pump. The diaphragm section on most of these pumps can be opened pretty easily. Just keep things in order and take care to watch which was things came out so you can put them back again. I've had success cleaning water pumps before, but sometimes the diaphragms are damaged. Depending on the pump, there may be rebuild kits available. Of course, whole pumps are not that expensive either, so perhaps it's just time to change it if you find that the pump is bad.

The worst thing for any type of machinery is sitting idle. That goes for pumps as well. My guess is that something inside the pump head either stuck or got crudded up while you were connected to city water.

You also might want to check the check valve on the pump discharge to make sure its not stuck in the closed position do to being on city water for an extended period.

Jim

I have taken the pump apart, cleaned it and reassembled it.  I couldn't see any physical damage.  I will try Jim's suggestion and put some water with pressure on the supply side and see if it will start pumping. 

Yes, I have done that before - filled and then left the valve on fill and wondered why I didn't have water, but I figured that out fairly quickly.  I just put water in the supply side with a tube and funnel, and it still didn't pump.  I think I will just order a new head from Amazon.  I know the motor is fine.   Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Marvin

Did you check the check valve on the pump discharge side? The check value on my rig is not an integral part  , it's a foot or so from the pump.  I don't know if it was stock or a add on by previous owner.

Jim

It is not stock on my Winnebago Journey.  There is nothing but line on the output side of my pump for several feet.  And if I have pressure from shore water, the pressure is high at the pump.

Checkvalves and diaphrams sometimes becomes hard and brittle if caked with lime and or calcium deposits, if this happens the pump become inoperable. I have on a few occasions have been successful by soaking those parts in 50 50 vinegar/water solution then reinstalling into to pump assembly. I would allow about an hour then rinse with clear water before reinstalling in the pump. Not very costly if you want to save a little money, but as you said a new assembly isn't that costly when ordered from a source such as Amazon.  

It's almost a guaranty that if you order from Amazon, then take pump apart, soak and reassemble, the pump will work! :lol:

Since you will be removing your pump I would try and connect a pressurized water source to line that you removed from the pump discharge.  This will eliminate any problems beyond the pump.

JIm

I took the pump completely apart.  It did have some small pieces of white deposit, maybe mineral or crud!  I cleaned everything and soaked it in 50/50 vinegar water.  Used an old toothbrush to clean.  Reassembled and reinstalled.  It did have suction on the input side, which was my original question.  But when I connected the hoses it didn't pump.  I loosened the output connection and out came water.  Tightened it and it's working fine.  It must have been air locked from the disassembly and reassembly. 

Thanks for all the help.

Marvin

Glad to hear that you solved the problem, it's always rewarding when you can find the problem and correct without going shopping.

Jim