richard5933

First project of the season

First project of the new season started and finished this weekend! With winter refusing to give up, I was determined to get started on something. This wasn't a really big project, but it hopefully gets the ball rolling.

Our LP tanks have an aluminum cover which must be removed to gain access to the valves & gauges on the two tanks. It's really a PITA, especially when it's cold outside, to unscrew the cover to open the tanks so that the heat can be turned on. Never fails that we'll wait to turn on the tanks until it's so cold that no one really wants to do it.

I recently stumbled across these boat deck hatches on Amazon and instantly thought that these would be really handy for quick access to the tanks, and they'd still be able to provide a vapor proof barrier for the LP tanks.

These were really simple to install - just cut a hole with a jigsaw, apply some caulking tape, and screw down. While I was there I painted the panel since it was pretty scratched up. I might be installing a few more of these deck hatches in other places for use as a hose & power cord pass-through. Thought I'd share since others may have need for a way to provide access behind panels or bulkheads.

20190310_131626.jpg

20190310_131701.jpg