QuailPens

Finding an overnight site in very small town

We are brand new to RV'ing.  We will be traveling 1500 miles and stopping at small towns when possible.  When mapping out a journey, how does one find a good overnight places along the route, especially in small towns? 

Thanks for any ideas......

If overnight and I need to empty tanks and refill the fresh water we use google or one of the apps on our phones (Book your site, RV Parky, KOA) to search for a campground. 

If we don’t need the above I seek out shopping areas like a Walmart. We always call ahead and ask if it’s ok to park out of the way for the night off in a corner of the lot Or Cracker Barrel’s have Bus/RV parking. 

With new trucking laws (logs) I will not use a truck stop anymore. There is a shortage of available truck parking in the US and those places have become a real hazard to park at when the “professional driver” left the industry. 

Truck stops are also taking reservations now, so if you slip into a spot you could get a knock on the door from an angry trucker in a few hours after you settle wanting the spot they reserved. 

13 minutes ago, QuailPens said:

We are brand new to RV'ing.  We will be traveling 1500 miles and stopping at small towns when possible.  When mapping out a journey, how does one find a good overnight places along the route, especially in small towns? 

Thanks for any ideas......

Welcome to the forum. Well I don't know. Not enough information to give a good answer. What Rv are we talking about? Where are we talking about? When are we talking about? All these things will factor into finding places to stay. Add in, do you need full hookups? 

Think about this, the smaller the town the less likely there is going to be a good place to stop (unless it is near a main/major attraction) because there is no demand for campgrounds.

When planning trips and stops (Like Joe) I use RV apps like   https://www.rvparky.com/, www.campgroundreviews.com, google street view.

Bill

We live in Wallace, ID.  There are a couple of places here.  We will be traveling to McCall, ID for our first night.  We have a 2002 Adventurer 35U.  This will be our first BIG adventure with our RV.  McCall is small.  there are RV campgrounds all around it but only 1 is open before May 1.  :)

thanks for your reply......

I downloaded the Apps suggested.   So far, in McCall they only come up with the same sites i have found with my PC internet search.  Good that they came up with those.  They will be really helpful once on the road........

Thanks again

Google maps especially the satellite view along with the street view are good tools to look at routs and campgrounds. I have even seen where they let the google mapping truck drive through the campground.

So where are you going? Are you retired? Looked at your first day, That is plenty of mileage for the first day. 

Bill 

Wow!  I would take 3-4 days or more for that stretch...Beautiful country and lots to look at.  But, I guess if you live there, maybe not.

I have stayed in a Church parking lot, when there was nothing else.  Make a call to the local Police Dept.  Have not had any problems...your worst enemy at this time of year, is the weather!  Not where to spend 10+ hours...You are self contained & I would only use a slide as necessary!  

IMHO, if it was me, this time of year, I would take the Interstate to 395, then go down to  Interstate again!  Your going to it in any event after McCall.

Good Luck, stay safe!

Quailpen,

Welcome to the Forum and to FMCA.

In a small town speaking with a Police Officer is good advise. First they know if the town has a "No overnight parking ordinance". (Please don't be offended if they say there is one their town council made the law not them). And if there is no ordinance then they will know who does and who doesn't mind you parking on their property.

In all most all small towns the Police Officers are great folks. So go and see this great country of ours and enjoy the small towns. 

But also remember when taking the Highways and byways of rural America watch for narrow shoulders on the roads and low underpasses. Know the height of your RV.

Again great to have you onboard.

Herman

Well as you can see the OP hasn't been back since March 13. After re reading, I think a much better search criteria would be "finding great campgrounds on my route"  You then take your toad and explore the small towns. I don't think sleeping in a parking lot as a good place to camp.

Bill

On 3/13/2019 at 6:07 PM, QuailPens said:

We live in Wallace, ID.  There are a couple of places here.  We will be traveling to McCall, ID

manholt, If you re read what the OP said, carefully, you will note he is not asking about Wallace, ID. Where he lives. He was asking about McCall, ID. My suggestion is based on my opinion that new RV travelers would benefit from having their first experiences camping in a quality full hookup campground would be preferable. I also posted tools to help them find places. 

The statement "how does one find a good overnight places along the route, especially in small towns?" Made me think they were implying they wanted to stay primarily in small towns. Hence my last reply. However as they haven't answered the questions about destinations and routes. I will leave future answers to your all wise expertise. 

Bill