MarthaChuck

Road information please

We are leaving Elephant Butte, NM for Cleburne Texas on Tuesday morning. We are considering taking Hiway 380.  Does anyone have experience traveling Highway 380 from San Antonio New Mexico (at I-25) to the Texas border? Is it big rig doable? Looking to avoid steep elevation changes or any condition that makes it a big rig unfriendly route. TIA

Martha,

Much of that answer will depend on the weather.  That route is through some high country.  If snow/ice, better to take the southern route.

BUT, if weather is OK, we have taken that route in our DP and enjoyed the scenery. 

Yes, more elevation changes on 380 than either going north to 60 or south to I10. If either the weather is not good or you dislike mountain driving, go a different way.

We take 380 both ways,  90% of the time...love it, only narrow and curvy section is between Lincoln and Capitan...as Brett said.  Linda drives this rig also, 45' + Toad! :)

6 hours ago, MarthaChuck said:

We are leaving Elephant Butte, NM for Cleburne Texas on Tuesday morning. We are considering taking Hiway 380.  Does anyone have experience traveling Highway 380 from San Antonio New Mexico (at I-25) to the Texas border? Is it big rig doable? Looking to avoid steep elevation changes or any condition that makes it a big rig unfriendly route. TIA

Like Brett said it depends on what the weather forecast is. Dropping down to I-20 would be an option if you had any concerns.

Don't see many people headed for Cleburne Texas. That is in my backyard.😄

Bill

Traveled that road for close to 40 years. Can be dicey if weather is bad but as Brett said, in goo weather it is a good road and great scenery.

If I were going to take 380 to get to Cleburne I would take 380 to Jacksboro, then 281 South to I-20, then skirt around Ft. Worth on 20 to I-35 W then 35 south to Hwy 67 and West on 67 to Cleburne .

I will some time tell folks the 380 runs from San Antonia to Greenville Texas, You can see them thinking and tell you it can't happen and then with a smile I will add San Antonia, New Mexico.:D

Herman

Glad it went well. How long will you be in Cleburne Texas? I am on the road and won't be back till end of June. Just outside Cincinnati Oh tonight.

Bill

Glad your trip was enjoyable. We ran this route last June from Ruidoso NM to San Antonio NM to catch I-25 and run north into Albuquerque NM.

A must to stop at along the way is at the Buckhorn Tavern for a Verde Burger, if you like Burgers.

https://www.buckhornburgers.com/