giarcbike

Need satelite TV advice

We're going to retire soon and have a class A with a King tracking satelite system already installed, however, we do not have a provider yet.  I need to learn the correct terminology and will gladly take advice concerning most affordable, easy to use service.  Any help would be appreciated.  

giarcbike.  Welcome!

What year is your King?  Also, will you be traveling from park to park, stay mostly in one area, where are you now?

Welcome to the Forum.

Did you just purchase your unit? I would first check with King to see if your unit will pickup any or all of the three providers, Dish, Direct, and Bell (not sure if that the correct name}.

Do You have a satellite provider at home? If so that is the one I would go with.

Again Welcome,

Herman

I also am confused what to do about the future of equipment TV with the recreational vehicle.  With the thoughts of SD going out of signals and HD the one to be the future,  for TV on the road will require research.

We to believe the Trav'ler Dish or DirectV  might be the way to go.

Upon reading they do both SD and HD, and the list of equipment available for use with the Trav'ler Directv or Dish is listed at the Winegard Web site.

SO, do check the hardware equipment needed for a SYSTEM to work with RV..

The system I have at the moment is only SD. There should a lot of discussion concerning this topic, and costs to bare.

Tim the Mailman

Winnebago Itasca Cambria 2014 3 slides

I have the DishNet Tailgater, and it has worked for me. The only inconvenience is it requires refreshing if you have extended periods of non use. I've had my for about six years and in the early day you had to contact them by phone to perform the refreshing and many time you got a customer support person who had no idea on what I was talking about.  They now have an app for your cell phone and its a breeze to do it.

Jim

For all Dome satellites they only received on satellite at a time. Domes programmed for DISh will get Satellites 110, 119 and 129 one at a time and most domes are automatic tracking.  For DirecTV it is only one satellite, 119 and on SD not HD, whereas DISH gets both SD and HD from their satellites.

The original poster does not indicate how old the antenna is that he has. Some of the older domes came programmed with only one of the providers, DISh, DirecTV, or Bell.  When I had a KingDome back in 2007 there was a program stepping of the controller I had to go through to get DISH satellites. I never fooled with DirecTV so don't know.  For the portable domes the are DIP Switch dependent and can be programmed for each service.

If you have the book, look at the instructions and it should tell you. You can pull the dome off of the antenna and obtain the model number and then call KingDome. If you really want the best of all worlds replace the KingDome with the Winegard Traveler for either Dish or DirecTV. Each traveler for those service providers are different and receiver specific in some cases.

Costs are going to be dependent on the service you may have now.  If you have a Stick & Bricks house with satellite then a receiver for the RV, in the case of DISH Network, would be an extra $7 to $15 a month depending on the receiver.  Seven dollars for Wally and $15 for Hopper, I think. Definitely $7 for extra Wally.

15 hours ago, giarcbike said:

We're going to retire soon and have a class A with a King tracking satelite system already installed, however, we do not have a provider yet. 

You need to know what service or services that your King Dome can or will work with. I.E., dish network or directv, or bell or will it work with all three? This info can be found in the literature that came with it, and if you do not, call king dome with both the model # and serial # to help decide which service you need to go with. Sometimes if you have the model #, you may be able to Google with that info and find out about the providers that it will work with. Please provide some or all of the above so that you can get better answers to your question.

We have the traveler, our house has Direct TV & the coach service is an extra $5 a month!  We do have HD...you also need a TV that will show HD...not just HD ready.  Ours is 4K.

Finally made it back to the forum.  Thanks for all the responses. 

My RV is a 2015 that was originally purchased in October of 2015.  I assume the King antenna and Winegard Roadtrip Mission (at least that's what the on/off switch has on it) and the King /Jack were purchased and installed.  I tried the OTA feed a couple of weeks ago when it was parked next to my house.  I received 8 digital OTA channels with the antenna booster only on and when I turned on the King attenuator along with the booster, I only received 2 of the original 8 digital channels but they were extremely clear.  This reception was on the TV in the bedroom, but I received nothing on the TV in the living area.  

I finally remembered that I did have a warranty on the RV with a $200 deductible to cover the replacement of the antenna if that is what's needed, so this morning I took it to the Grezeny's in Bradenton, FL to have it checked out.  I'll check with them to see if they can tell me what carrier was previously installed in the MH.20190317_102948_resized.thumb.jpg.eba1bb38221ccae2d1f9dbb0b8cf9b9d.jpg20190317_103141_resized.thumb.jpg.ca15ab03504618b50eb494238d78caec.jpg 

20190317_102313_001_resized.jpg

On the roof, mine looks like yours.  Mine is a motorized self seeking Razor...Where I can't get local channels on my Direct TV, I use it.