4 hours ago, wolfe10 said:

But, even a brand new one will NOT be trouble-free!

But the new one will have more space to place the coffee pot.  She been wanting new floor plan doesn't include rearranging the furniture.  

18 hours ago, huffypuff said:

I believe if it was oil filled it may last longer.  No to repacking so often as to much trouble to R&R.   

Are the shaft seal adequate to hold oil?

Jim

4 hours ago, f433921 said:

Are the shaft seal adequate to hold oil?

Jim

What shaft seals? They only have nylon bushings.  

I would use the Lucas Red "N" Tacky grease or the Sta Lube. I haven't found anything that stayes in wheel bearings like Sta Lube. Both stick to the metal and won't wipe off or squeeze out as easily as most do.

Bill

luc-10005-1.jpg?rep=FalseSta-Lube SL3111 New Generation Wheel Bearing Grease for Disc and Drum Brakes - 14 wt. oz.

I don't think it matters what lube he uses, sounds like that coach is on the short term list for the Huffman family! 

11 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

I would use the Lucas Red "N" Tacky grease or the Sta Lube. I haven't found anything that stayes in wheel bearings like Sta Lube. Both stick to the metal and won't wipe off or squeeze out as easily as most do.

Bill

luc-10005-1.jpg?rep=FalseSta-Lube SL3111 New Generation Wheel Bearing Grease for Disc and Drum Brakes - 14 wt. oz.

I use the red stuff in my shop but I'm not going to take apart the new gearbox for it.  It's great for wheel bearings and all greasable joints.  

6 hours ago, manholt said:

Ray was  thinking of using oil fill...brass/metal, probably less friction!

There isn't any seals so it would leak out and make a mess under the bed.  

3 hours ago, jleamont said:

I don't think it matters what lube he uses, sounds like that coach is on the short term list for the Huffman family! 

It's will be what makes DW happy, I'm just the driver.  😅

41 minutes ago, huffypuff said:

It's will be what makes DW happy, I'm just the driver.  😅

I can relate to that. Saying in my house, "I am master of this house. Whatever my wife says shall be done."

Got the new gearbox a couple of days ago and finally had enough time to install it.  It works great but don't have the full weight on it yet.  I found the bed frame and foundation to be a little flimsy and going to beef it up.  I keep everybody posted.  

18 hours ago, manholt said:

HR made something flimsy? :o  If it was a 2016, I could understand, but yours is pre big bang!

The divider inside had screws that pulled out and the platform that the mattress lays on is coming apart in the middle at the feet due to staples pulling.   This will be fixed with longer screws and nuts.  Also I will be hitting the edge trim with construction cement.   

2 hours ago, jleamont said:

Lost many finger skin on those, especially when the seize and spin and you think you can hold it :wacko:

You have to make sure to match the size of the screw.  I seen many try a #6 speed nut on a #8 screw.  

2 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

The clip nuts will work if you arn't realey concerned about strength.

Bill

They are backup if the threads don't hold on the wood.  

huffypuff I used carriage bolts to secure angle iron to the underside of my bed platform, just be sure to put the nuts on the bottom side. image.png.26efccbfeb4cd744b9bafc352f770e68.png

image.png.0feb99eb21e1c10932b29019ac096e86.png

39 minutes ago, RayIN said:

huffypuff I used carriage bolts to secure angle iron to the underside of my bed platform, just be sure to put the nuts on the bottom side. image.png.26efccbfeb4cd744b9bafc352f770e68.png

image.png.0feb99eb21e1c10932b29019ac096e86.png

The bed platform part I'm talking about is made out of wood.  

Yes, mine is also, 1/2" plywood, which bowed in the center, thus the 2, 1" angle iron supports bolted to the plywood underside. I tightened the bolts enough ot draw the heads flush with the plywood.