kimenker

Charging Batteries

When I've got my 2008 Journey plugged into my 50 amp service the batteries don't seem to charge any higher than 12.8 when I check the reader on the wall of the coach. When the engine or generator is running (as it is running) it reads 14.1, what can I do to increase the charge other than connect a charger/maintainer? 

kimenker,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Which battery bank (chassis or house) reads 12.8 VDC when on shore power?  What does the other battery bank read?  Some coaches only charge the house bank from shore power, others charger both banks.

Also, what converter, charger or inverter charger do you have.  The "smart" ones need to be properly programmed for : battery technology (wet cell, AGM or Gel), battery bank size (amp hrs @ 12 VDC) and also ambient temperature unless you have the optional temperature probe on the battery.

Do I understand that the same charger is showing different outputs depending on whether you're plugged into shore power or on generator?

Thank you!

Both the chassis and house read the same. The type of inverter/charger is Airpax Dimensions 2000 watt inverter and 100 amps, transfer rating 30 amps.

There is a Electrical Management System w/smart surge protection above the inverter. I also have a Automatic Line/Generator Switch Model ATS 501 (Not sure what this does either).

As Richard suggested, voltage and inverter/charger output should be EXACTLY the same on generator or shore power. The inverter/charger has no way of knowing what the source of external 120 VAC is (nor world it care)-- 120 VAC=120VAC.

I have no first hand experience with an Airpax inverter/charger.  Have you properly programmed it?

Per this manual float voltage for wet cell batteries is 13.2 VDC. Higher for sealed batteries: https://www.rvtechlibrary.com/electrical/dimensions_owners.pdf

If it is properly programmed, next thing I would do is have the batteries fully charged and then load tested.