akdaltron

side view camera placement

I am installing a back up camera system with side view cameras.  the class C that I owned for 20 years had no cameras at all...   moving up to a class A seems like cameras would be very helpful.

my question is...   what is the best placement for the side view cameras.  I have seen some place low and near the back wheels and others placed high and near the front wheels.  some others inbetween.   I am hoping all the experienced rv'rs on this site will have some wise words on the best placement...   that way I can avoid doing it twice!! 

thanks in advance for your help. 

Welcome to the forum! To answer your question, seems awful but where do you feel you need them the most benefit for you? Most new coaches actually place them on the side view mirrors and aimed to give you the most use of where the mirrors are not usually aimed, giving a better understanding of any side traffic that might otherwise obscured from your vision. But again, what is best for you should be your most concern. Good luck on the new move up, many happy tales and trails.:rolleyes:

I have often thought of adding side cameras to ours, I thought it might be helpful with lane changes at night. My concern was removing my eyes off the road to check the monitor would be more of a hazard than analyzing the mirror situation as I can still see whats ahead while scanning mirrors, cant do that while looking into the monitor. 

Ours are mounted on the side walls just below the rear view mirrors.  I find they provide a better view than the mirrors as the totally eliminate all blind spots. 

When changing lanes I always the camera view in conjunction with the mirrors, just to be sure. 

Joe, Yes!

Mine came with the coach, the main problem is that I'm used to running of the mirrors, each has 3.  The cameras work of the signal lever and there is a 5 second delay, before it goes back to rear view...At 45' + Toad, I depend more on the rear camera, than side cameras.  

2 hours ago, manholt said:

I depend more on the rear camera, than side cameras.  

Ditto! I use the rear camera to change lanes after I see i'm clear in the mirror, I can make sure the toad is clear (if traffic is gaining on me). Its easier to use the camera for that than trying to see that distance in my pathetic mirrors.