tireman9

"Urban Delivery" not appropriate for RV use

Why is it so difficult for folks to understand that when a tire with a stated max speed of 65 is not appropriate for normal RV use?

Whoever decided to put the Goodyear G159 on an RV was not a competent tire person IMO. RV tires should clearly state Long Haul or Regional Service, or Regional Haul or Pick-up & Delivery,  NOT "Urban Delivery"

To hold Goodyear responsible for the actions of others is not reasonable IMO.  If your engine is supposed to run 5-30w oil and someone decides to use streight30w is that the fault of the oil company.

Any of you who read my blog or attend my tire seminars at FMCA events have heard me warn about the incorrect application of products.

3 hours ago, tireman9 said:

Why is it so difficult for folks to understand that when a tire with a stated max speed of 65 is not appropriate for normal RV use?

Whoever decided to put the Goodyear G159 on an RV was not a competent tire person IMO. RV tires should clearly state Long Haul or Regional Service, or Regional Haul or Pick-up & Delivery,  NOT "Urban Delivery"

To hold Goodyear responsible for the actions of others is not reasonable IMO.  If your engine is supposed to run 5-30w oil and someone decides to use streight30w is that the fault of the oil company.

Any of you who read my blog or attend my tire seminars at FMCA events have heard me warn about the incorrect application of products.

Thank you tireman for agreeing with me. The problem is those tires were sold to the manufacturer and the consumer got stuck with them. Is it the tire manufacturer fault or the RV manufacturer fault or both?  The consumer would believe that the tires are safe on a brand new coach. 

Did the manufacturer issue a maximum top speed warning on the RV of 65mph? I bet it's in the small print in the manual somewhere.

Tireman --

Your comments and guidance are always appreciated!   When I purchased my Damon Astoria 3-1/2 years ago from PPL Motorhomes it definitely needed new tires.  PPL Motorhomes recommended Goodyear G661 HSA tires (255/70R22.5) as a good, cost effective choice.  While not specifically made for RVs, the G661 HSAs have a robust construction, proper load rating (the Freightliner "sticker" specifies "H" load rating 255/70R22.5) and max speed rating of 75 mph (I usually drive 62-65 mph as everything sounds and behaves comfortably).    I've zero problems with the Goodyear G661 HSA for Gulf Coast / Texas Hill Country driving i.e. dry and wet roads, ambient temps 35 -110 F, etc. and thankfully no snow or ice!

The Goodyear RV tires sales brochure shows the G670 255/70R22.5 has the same H load rating and max 75 mph speed rating as my G661 HSA.    Only difference that I read is the G670  contains more anti-oxidants / anti-ozidant additives to help guard against weather cracking.

Other FMCA members have installed Goodyear G661 HSA tires on their motorhomes.  We all would greatly appreciate your thoughts about the Goodyear G661 HSA tire.  Thanks!!

Mike.

I thought you now, have the "new to you coach", Ventana LE by Newmar.  What tires did it come with?  

29 minutes ago, Erniee said:

maybe the reason Goodyear provided tires to manufacturers of rvs ---the lowest bid?

That would be my guess!

20 hours ago, tireman9 said:

So why don't you as the "Tire Guru" Help FMCA do a better  job of getting the right and proper information on the tire charts in the FMCA Tire Program?  

I just looked at the Hankook listing for tires  that would fit my coach and nowhere does it give tire rating or speed rating. Instead of odd numbers that don't readily relate to anything on the manufactuers website, why not make them a clickable link to that tire on the manufactuers website.

Bill 

Carl --

I take delivery of the 2016 Newmar Ventana LE tomorrow (3/21/19) afternoon in Dallas - yay!!.  It has OEM Michelin tires (specific type I don't recall but presume an RV version).   

I asked Tireman the question about Goodyear G661 HSA tires for use on motorhomes as while they have proper speed and load rating, the are not specifically designed for motorhomes.   Other forum members have G661 tires on their motorhomes thus Tireman's thoughts those tires would be useful info to add to our knowledge repositories.   

Curious - what makes a tire specifically designed for motor homes? Other than possibly adding something to help prevent sun and environmental damage, I can't figure what difference there would be. Part of me wonders if they make the RV tires to a lessor standard since they won't receive the same intense use as a cross-country truck tire will as a way to keep the cost down.

10 minutes ago, richard5933 said:

Curious - what makes a tire specifically designed for motor homes? Other than possibly adding something to help prevent sun and environmental damage, I can't figure what difference there would be. Part of me wonders if they make the RV tires to a lessor standard since they won't receive the same intense use as a cross-country truck tire will as a way to keep the cost down.

A tire with a better speed rating design for highway use would be what I think he means.  

49 minutes ago, huffypuff said:

A tire with a better speed rating design for highway use would be what I think he means.  

Both truck tires and RV tires are available with a 75-mph speed rating. AFAIK, RV tires don't have a higher speed rating than many regional and long-haul truck tires. They are all designed for highway use.

On the surface, the specs for highway-rated truck tires and RV tires have the same specs (compared in same size/load rating) so if there is a difference it must be elsewhere.

Urban deliver tires, local delivery tires, etc. are certainly different and obviously not suitable for an RV.

4 hours ago, richard5933 said:

Both truck tires and RV tires are available with a 75-mph speed rating. AFAIK, RV tires don't have a higher speed rating than many regional and long-haul truck tires. They are all designed for highway use.

On the surface, the specs for highway-rated truck tires and RV tires have the same specs (compared in same size/load rating) so if there is a difference it must be elsewhere.

Urban deliver tires, local delivery tires, etc. are certainly different and obviously not suitable for an RV.

What I said if different refer back to tireman 

On 3/20/2019 at 12:26 PM, WILDEBILL308 said:

So why don't you as the "Tire Guru" Help FMCA do a better  job of getting the right and proper information on the tire charts in the FMCA Tire Program?  

I just looked at the Hankook listing for tires  that would fit my coach and nowhere does it give tire rating or speed rating. Instead of odd numbers that don't readily relate to anything on the manufactuers website, why not make them a clickable link to that tire on the manufactuers website.

Bill  

Reasonable idea Bill,  I'm checking on it. I will admit I have not reviewed the info FMCA gives out on our tire program.

RV Speed rating.

IMO there are a variety of reasons to have a max speed rating with the primary being safety. A quick search of the Internet finds many sources identifying the stopping distance of cars and trucks. Here is a summary.

Braking Power/Stopping Distances for a car. Note that the 80 MPH distance is  130% of what it is at 50 mph

Bus & trucks take 50% to 70% more distance at 50 mph, so you could be looking at almost two football fields to stop your Class-A. Some may not want to worry about stopping distance, or how many cars they would drive right over in an emergency but clearly, tires will get hotter at 80 than at 70 and with heat being the primary killer of tires you could be shortening tire life by a year or two but most importantly you would get no advance warning as the damage to the rubber strength is buried deep inside the tire structure.  Also, don't know why anyone would want to see a 10 to 20% increase in fuel costs.  Do I need to research an article for FMCA mag?
Speed Thinking Distance Total Stopping Distance
50 mph 50 feet (15 m) 175 feet (53 m)
60 mph 60 feet (18 m) 240 feet (73 m)
70 mph 70 feet (21 m) 315 feet (96 m)
80 mph 80 feet (24 m)

400 feet (120 m