desertdeals69

Lithium batteries

I installed 4 12 volt 100 amp lithium batteries replacing 6 6 volt AGM batteries.  The performance is spectacular, ran the Xantrax SW 3000 for about 17 hours overnight and the voltage was still at 12.9-13.0 volts.  With the AGMs it would have dropped to 12.3 volts with the same load, refrigerator and all the electronics that I have.   I have not charged the new batteries yet because I have not reset the charger settings, the charge is what they had from the factory.  The new batteries are much lighter, 120 lbs to 420 lbs for the AGMs.  The amperage for the lithiums is 400 and the amperage for AGMs is 660.  With the lithiums you can use almost all without the voltage drop and with the AGMs you can use about half.  The model I used is the same footprint as a golf cart battery however it is 12 volt.  The connections are on the upper front side and is easier to hook up the connections.  The only drawback is the cost but I think it is worth it considering the performance.

Battle Born Batteries assembled in Reno, Nv.  BBGC2 is the model I chose.  The list price is $1050 each and the factory was selling them at Quartzite for $850.

I am in talks with the company on becoming a dealer at my shop in Lk Havasu.  

On 3/20/2019 at 11:37 AM, desertdeals69 said:

I installed 4 12 volt 100 amp lithium batteries replacing 6 6 volt AGM batteries.  The performance is spectacular, ran the Xantrax SW 3000 for about 17 hours overnight and the voltage was still at 12.9-13.0 volts.  With the AGMs it would have dropped to 12.3 volts with the same load, refrigerator and all the electronics that I have.   I have not charged the new batteries yet because I have not reset the charger settings, the charge is what they had from the factory.  The new batteries are much lighter, 120 lbs to 420 lbs for the AGMs.  The amperage for the lithiums is 400 and the amperage for AGMs is 660.  With the lithiums you can use almost all without the voltage drop and with the AGMs you can use about half.  The model I used is the same footprint as a golf cart battery however it is 12 volt.  The connections are on the upper front side and is easier to hook up the connections.  The only drawback is the cost but I think it is worth it considering the performance.

Lithium batteries at 12.9 to 13.0 volts are about 80-90% DISCHARGED.  You need to charge those batteries.  Fully charged lithium is about 13.4V.  It is really hard to monitor the SOC (State of Charge) using only voltage as there is so little voltage change between fully charged and fully discharged.   

3 hours ago, alflorida said:

Lithium batteries at 12.9 to 13.0 volts are about 80-90% DISCHARGED.  You need to charge those batteries.  Fully charged lithium is about 13.4V.  It is really hard to monitor the SOC (State of Charge) using only voltage as there is so little voltage change between fully charged and fully discharged.   

I just talked to the mfg of my batteries and was told that the operating voltage range it 13.3 to 12.1 which is 90% discharged.  

6 hours ago, desertdeals69 said:

I just talked to the mfg of my batteries and was told that the operating voltage range it 13.3 to 12.1 which is 90% discharged.  

My error.   Sorry, I misread my voltage chart.

They are talking 10 years or better, 3000-5000 cycles.  I don't know about disposal but I would think it would be the same a electric car batteries.

Recycle them? You can't, you must keep them forever. They are and environmental hazard.

Oh wait I'm thinking of California, wait Bruce lives in AZ never mind. :rolleyes:

Herman 

Just looked it up...throw them in the trash!  that's per the US Government...I guess, if it goes BOOM in the heat, no one cares! :wacko: That's Lithium Ion battery!  Lithium Batteries is a different story! :ph34r::blink:

Yep, Carl, I looked it up and that is the price for one. I did notice Tom said "ordered A Regency..." just one. Wow!:o

When you get your new coach are you going to request all 10 of you batteries be Regencys?:D

Herman

Herman.

I'm old school, I learned basic math!  One 12 v at $1,000 = per Bruce, 10 years.

One 12 v AGM at $300 = per me, 7 years!  I just replaced 2 start batteries at $632 !  That included tax!!!

I don't get it, unless I want to go stay in the dessert on Solar, like a hermit and then I would buy a $100 dollar tent.  

2 hours ago, manholt said:

Herman.

One 12 v at $1,000 = per Bruce, 10 years.

One 12 v AGM at $300 = per me, 7 years!

I don't get it, 

Carl, I'm with you!

I think they are absolutely marvelous technology. In the last 3 years I have spent exactly one night not hooked up and ran the generator for AC. So explain why I should spend that kind of money? DD how many do you have to sell to make back the cost of your new toys?

Bill

19 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

I think they are absolutely marvelous technology. In the last 3 years I have spent exactly one night not hooked up and ran the generator for AC. So explain why I should spend that kind of money? DD how many do you have to sell to make back the cost of your new toys?

Bill

I think its the same reason you spend tens of thousands of dollars or even hundreds of thousands of dollars on a coach, its because you want to.  I have been in the RV repair business for 38 years and enjoy testing and evaluating different products, kind of like a hobby.  I have been known to spend days or weeks dry camping like in national parks with no hookups.  Back in the 70s when I started rving I traveled 3 months every summer without hookups.  Remember rvs by definition are self contained vehicles.

I'm virtually never plugged in and rely on solar for almost all of my power. I have been using 2 6 volt golf car batteries and haven't had the greatest luck. The most likely problem is getting them back to 100% charge on a routine basis which can cause sulfation. Lithium batteries don't care if they're not fully charged. In fact, if you will not be using them for any length of time you want them at less than 75% charge.

Bruce, good thing we are not all the same, that would be boring! 

Tom, now I understand, why only one 12v!  Thanks for listing your coach.

7 hours ago, desertdeals69 said:

I have been in the RV repair business for 38 years and enjoy testing and evaluating different products, kind of like a hobby.

Ok I understand it is easier to sell the new batteries if you have some installed. I don't feel that need to go live like a hermit in the outback. You still need to move so you can dump and refill your water. 

8 hours ago, desertdeals69 said:

Back in the 70s when I started rving I traveled 3 months every summer without hookups.

Back in the 60s when I started camping whe would go on multi week trips to places like the Algonquin Provincial Park in Canada. for a 3 week canoe camping trip with no hookups:P.

8 hours ago, desertdeals69 said:

Remember rvs by definition are self contained vehicles.

Actually I am pretty shure RV stands for Recreational Vehicle. We all Recreate in different ways. ;)

Bill