francie1229

Full timer - Sanitizing fresh water tank

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 10:07 AM, wolfe10 said:

If used frequently, no need to sanitize the whole system-- no different than a sticks and bricks house.

The main "got-ya" is continually using shore water, allowing the water in the on-board tank to sit and sit and sit......

If that happens, then, yes the tank needs to be drained and the whole system sanitized.

Ditto Brett!

Cleaning the RV fresh water tank is necessary to eliminate any potentially hazardous pollutants that may be present. Ingesting algae and dangerous bacteria can raise the likelihood of health problems such as vomiting, fever, and gastroenteritis. You can find more information about how to sanitize RV freshwater tanks.

On 3/21/2019 at 10:30 AM, desertdeals69 said:

For the last 20 or so years I have been using hydrogen peroxide.  With an empty tank fill with 1 pt and about 15 gallons of water.  Run the pump and turn on each faucet hot and cold including the kitchen sink rinser.  Fill the tank to the desired capacity and just begin using the system.  Some time ago I had a discussion with an engineer in charge of the water quality at a chemical plant and he said they use hydrogen peroxide on a regular basis.  I had something growing in my kitchen sink rinser line and full strength bleach wouldn't kill it.  Used hydrogen peroxide and the problem was cured.

What strength hydrogen peroxide do you use? Off the shelf at Walmart or a more industrial strength.

3 minutes ago, randall said:

What strength hydrogen peroxide do you use? Off the shelf at Walmart or a more industrial strength.

I would just use the off the shelf strength.

Bill

30 minutes ago, wildebill308 said:

I would just use the off the shelf strength.

Bill

I'm going to try that. 

Thanks

Edited by hermanmullins