gfbrower

WINEGARD TRAVEL SK1000 ANTENNA

My 5 + year old Winegard SK 1000 Trav'ler Sat. Antenna failed to fully stow. After several calls to Winegard and their inability to correct the failure, other then replace with a refurbished Roof Unit for about $600 or a New Roof Unit for about $1200. The interface box gives a message [failed communication to Antenna] I manually stowed the Antenna to travel. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this problem?  

gfbrower

I was wondering does the manual have any thing maintenance?

that being the pivot points.

I am planing to buy a Trav'ler SWM-3 for Directv for my use.

We would think clean and oil it some where. Is it binding. ?

Tim the Mailman

Have you been up on the roof to inspect all the moving parts?  There are two coax which could possibly interfere with the movement of a roof mounted dish.  A couple months ago we lost signal but I can't recall exactly what the error message said, it may have been the same as what you are seeing.  It ended up being the 5' cable that ran from the mount up through the arm to the satellite head.  

Manufacturer sent a replacement for free.  While we were waiting I replaced it with a regular piece of coax to get back up and running.  Mine was only 11 months old and certainly did not look damaged or bad but it was.

I will open all cable access plates on the Unit and maybe remove the turret and check all the wire connections plus the revolving contacts to the circuit bands. I will keep everyone posted as I proceed.

GB    

Once you have the dish stowed, does it extend, locate the satellites and work OK?  Lost communication would seem like a control cable issue and not a coax or LNB problem. 

I have had my Wineguard for 8 years now and no problems.  It is now on my 3rd RV.  

gfbrower,

Will the dish function at all? Or is it that it will not stow completely? 

Not function at all would indicate, as Al said, it may be a control issue.

Not stowing completely would tend to be a binding issue.

Answering these questions will help a lot.

Herman

I found that the wire connection to the unit had come separated. I reconnected and then had to reprogram the unit, with the help of Winegard tech. You must reprogram the Unit anytime you manually stow.   Thanks for all replies.    gfbrower 

What do you mean by reprogram the unit. I’m getting a SK motor stall. I’m on the road and had to manually store the antenna. I can hear it move and turn and then it hits a block or something and then I get an error message. Finding someone to work on it is almost impossible and I’m thinking of getting the DISH. pro and bypassing this monster. I don’t want to pay them another chunk of money.