Lmacpher

Grand Cherokee Jeep towing

1 hour ago, Lmacpher said:

I just purchased a 2011 Grand Cherokee Jeep.  the last item in the book says to disconnect the NEG battery cable.  Is this a necessary step?

Welcome to the form. I would guess it is or they wouldn't mention it in the towing directions.

Bill

I used to tow a 2012 and there was nothing about disconnecting the battery. I just downloaded the 2011 Owners Manual (7th version) and there is nothing about disconnecting the battery. Exactly where are you seeing this?

Does it have the steering wheel lock when key is off? If it does the key must be in the ACC position to keep it unlocked. This also powers most items, removing the neg cable is to prevent battery discharge. In this case I would buy a remote disconnect that has a simple on/off switch on the dash, they are sold my most RV supply stores.

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 10:34 AM, dkreuzen said:

I used to tow a 2012 and there was nothing about disconnecting the battery. I just downloaded the 2011 Owners Manual (7th version) and there is nothing about disconnecting the battery. Exactly where are you seeing this?

This was in the 2nd edition, that came with the Jeep.  I agree the downloaded one from the web page does not have that step.

3 hours ago, RayIN said:

Does it have the steering wheel lock when key is off? If it does the key must be in the ACC position to keep it unlocked. This also powers most items, removing the neg cable is to prevent battery discharge. In this case I would buy a remote disconnect that has a simple on/off switch on the dash, they are sold my most RV supply stores.

Yes I have to leave the key in ACC.  I will turn everything OFF for the first trip (1 day), and see if I need the remote disconnect.  I wasn't sure about losing all the settings.

4 minutes ago, Lmacpher said:

Yes I have to leave the key in ACC.  I will turn everything OFF for the first trip (1 day), and see if I need the remote disconnect.  I wasn't sure about losing all the settings.

Being a jump pack or jumper cables just Incase.

Since your Jeep is out-of-warranty there  is another option, which is to have a mechanic/body shop remove the steering wheel lock mechanism. Then you could leave the key in the off position and eliminate the need to disconnect the battery. Newer Jeeps do not have a steering lock.  My 2013 Silverado does not have a steering lock, so leaving the key off is my correct procedure.

Yes you will lose  presets when the battery is disconnected, UNLESS your Jeep has 2 batteries, one is starting (main) battery, the smaller one is for the built-in radio/navigation system/ heads up display.

Thanks to ALL that responded.  I did a test drive this AM, following the 7th edition of the manual.   Taking the FoB out, I had no problems.  My unit does not have a steering wheel lock, so don't have leave the FoB in.