aldfmca

Trip cost

Does anyone know how much it costs to take a one day trip (300 mi) in a gas Class C RV (fuel, tires, oil, etc) ? I can take a trip in a car and stay in a high priced hotel or take my RV and stay in a low-cost military campground. I tried searching on here without any luck.

Thanks, Al

Al,

Answers will range very WIDELY.

Older or brand new?

Factoring in depreciation?

For only a single overnight, can't fathom that an RV would be the less expensive way to go.

But if cost were the most important/only factor, doubt many would own RV's.

Al, that is question that has so many variables. 300 miles on tires is no biggie unless they are worn or aged out. What will the price of fuel when you go, gas or diesel. Do you like carrying bags into and out of a hotel.???????

Herman 

Great question. No easy answer. Like Brett said, this will vary greatly. Especially if you are including depreciation and the cost of upkeep.

There is an easier way to look at this though...

You already own the Class C rig and depreciation will happen even if you don't use it. You will most likely replace the tires eventually due to age, whether or not you drive on them. Neither of these really should be a factor here. Same for routine maintenance - you'll have to do things like oil changes based on elapsed time anyhow, so non-use doesn't save much. These are all basically fixed costs.

So, the only real expense to consider for this one-day trip is the cost of fuel. That you can calculate easily depending on the mileage you get. Even at just 8 mpg and assuming a total of 300 miles, the fuel cost is under $100 depending on the pump prices near you. That plus the campground fee is really the total for the trip.

All that said, the real question is which do you enjoy more. For us the question is easy, we'd rather travel in our coach whenever possible. Even for a one-day trip.

1 hour ago, aldfmca said:

Does anyone know how much it costs to take a one day trip (300 mi) in a gas Class C RV (fuel, tires, oil, etc) ? I can take a trip in a car and stay in a high priced hotel or take my RV and stay in a low-cost military campground. I tried searching on here without any luck.

Thanks, Al

First of all it's not a a one day trip. One day there and one day back. That is 7-8 hours on the road both ways. It is pretty obvious the car is more expensive the way you are trying to calculate this. You have the cost of the car and add in the cost of the RV. You are paying for it weather you are using it or not. 

The big question is which one makes you smile more.

Bill 

Just two questions.

Who's sheets and towels do you want to use? Who's bed do you want to sleep on.

Depending on the size, figure about a full tank of gas round trip, and go from there.

Besides, I'd rather spend my time with fellow military than all those other jerks.  Ooops! Sorry guys, didn't really mean it. 😈

What is a "High Price Hotel " to you?  Fam camp is around $15.  Tampa - Disneyland, is around 300 r/t, coach would take an hour longer than car...cost of Hotel, would be more than the whole trip alone!  

Like Wayne wrote! :ph34r:

Thank you all for your advice. Of course I am once again making this much more complicated than necessary. I would much rather stay in the RV than a motel. So I'm going to go in the RV.

Thank you for your help. Have a nice day, Al

4 hours ago, aldfmca said:

I would much rather stay in the RV than a motel. So I'm going to go in the RV.

Al, see that wasn't so hard. 😁

Yes, there are many variables.  Such as f you bring groceries in your RV and don't eat out, you save a lot on food cost.

But then you miss out on the Crab claws!  Sure glad we got the Stone Crab in Texas, unless they have been to FL, they don't take the big claw...I do, by the dozens!