JRAY1944

Is my truck capable to handle my load?

I have a 2005 Silverado 2500hd with the 6.6L diesel that has a GVWR of 9,800 lbs and a GCWR of 22,000 lbs. The actual weight of the truck with one passenger and a full tank of fuel is 6,740 lbs. The owner manual says the maximum trailer weight should be 12,000 lbs. My 5th wheel has a dry weight of 11,600 lbs and a hitch weight of 2,200 lbs and a GVWR of 14,625 lbs. Is this too much trailer for my truck? I am planning a lengthy trip this summer to the western part of the US and don't want to endanger anyone with a poorly configured rig. 

Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

IMO, your suspicion is correct, your truck is inadequate to safely handle that 5er. To obtain a proper and safe match, use this online 5th wheel weight calculator, it even offers the option of choosing a safety factor that most full-timers use to insure their tow vehicle will last longer. You will note this calculator requires actual weights for most blocks, not estimates.

Jayray, your truck is inadequate. As soon as you load belongings into the trailer you will be overweight and don’t forget to add people, fuel and belongings in the truck also will really make the combination overweight. 

I error on the overkill side. Your journey will be much more comfortable and enjoyable when you are not white knuckled driving down the road with a dually. 

Also figure in the fact that your truck is 15 years old. Pushing an older truck this close to its max tow limit is a great way to find all the flaws and faults in the truck. Amazing what can silently fail in an older vehicle that you don't discover until pushed to limits.

Well, I would rather have a 2005, diesel 2500 over a 2019 any day!  However, this post is about, does the OP need a bigger truck ?  Yes, I feel he does!  Used or new. 

Even if your truck would handle it, you will never be happy with it. You will be happy with a 1ton diesel dually. 

A diesel will "tow" any fifth wheel, the problem with a 250/2500 series truck is the ability to handle the weight.  Look at the Tire and Loading Information sticker on the driver's door pillar.  It will tell you the max cargo you can carry in that particular truck...that includes everything.  The posted hitch weight of 2,200 sounds like a number that came from the factory.  A realistic hitch weight is 20% of the trailer's GVWR.  That alone will put you well over the truck's GVWR.

13 hours ago, CharlieIAm said:

22,000 minus 6,740 equals 15,260 minus 14,625 equals 625.   You have 625 lbs. margin.

This thread died because JRAY1944 has never returned to comment on replies.

Ray, it is no longer the OP's post, but rather general good info for future reader!  This will crop up again and again!

20 hours ago, CharlieIAm said:

22,000 minus 6,740 equals 15,260 minus 14,625 equals 625.   You have 625 lbs. margin.

You are ignoring the pin weight.  The formula for determining tow capacity is the GCWR minus the actual weight of the the truck (GVWR at least, probably more)....22000 -  9800 = 12200.  This is way too much 5th wheel for a 250/2500 series truck.

12 hours ago, RayIN said:

Yep, this online calculator is the best option for accurately and safely matching a tow vehicle and trailer.

That's a great chart! I have a friend that appears to be too much trailer for his truck and and going to run numbers on the bumper pull version. Not likely he will listen but....

As I said earlier, the Tire and Loading Information sticker on the driver's door pillar, lists the exact weight, to the nearest one pound, this truck can carry.  That sticker is on all vehicles, not just trucks.