dmac@ns.sympatico.ca

Brake SystemsFor Toad, And BorderCrossings

This is my first post, so forgive me if I am in the wrong spot to ask this question. I was talking to a friend of my who just returned home to Nova Scotia from Florida last weekend, and he told me about talking to other MH owners down there. The topic came up about people crossing into the United States from Canada and have been turned away by the US Border service people because they didn't have a auxiliary braking system for their toad. Does anyone know if in fact this is true? My friend wasn't towing any vehicle so he had no problem, but I was planning a trip to the United States in the next couple of weeks and I will be towing our CRV. And of course I don't want to be turned away. Purchasing a Brake Buddy or similar system will be one of the things I plan on getting when I get to the US, it will be a lot cheaper there than here in Canada, (around $1600.00 here I believe), in these economic times a person got to save whenever they can.

If anyone can confirm or deny this, second or third hand rumor, I would like to hear from you.

Thank you for your time

dmack

We live in the US and have traveled back and forth into Canada with a Honda Odyssey minivan behind a 40' MH and never have been asked nor do we own a brake system. We were told it depended on the weight of your toad and your RV. Maybe they can tell by looking whether you will exceed the limits or maybe we have just been lucky.

Hope you enjoy your visit! We love Canada and Canadians.

Guest Wayne77590

It may depend on the port of entry. That is, the particular state that your are entering into. Each state has its own laws and you can view them here: Towing Laws

Also, most of the United Sates have reciprocal motor vehicle laws, so if you are legal in your state you are legal in other states, but I don't believe there is reciprocity between Canada and the US. So, it may well be that the border stations are aware of this and the may enforce a "general" rule that if a U.S. vehicle it is covered by that states law, but a Canadian vehicle may not be. Anyhow, that is just a theory that passed my small brain.

You would be so much safer for yourself and others to have a supplemental braking system before you travel. Maybe you could borrow or rent one and when you get to the U.S. purchase one at the savings you want.

Good luck.

Happy and safe travels.

News to me. Never realized that MH owners towed a vehicle without a braking system. Trying to imagine the safety aspect and I am sure there must be laws in certain states and provinces regarding that. Sure that in BC a braking system is the law. Again I don't know and sure hope there are more comments.

On the way back from KY the other day I met a (possibly) 32 foot coach towing a car which was towing a trailer with two Seadoos on it. Hope they would have braking system.

dmack,

Yes, it's true that you not only need a toad auxillary braking system to get into Canada, but most stated down here also require it. I would suggest the Unified Tow Brak system as it worked well on my Jeep Cherokee. Better yet is the Air Force One system that I installed when I bought the heavier Jeep Commander last year. It operates off the coach air brake system and is easy to hook up. I pull the Commander behind my '04 Newmar Dutch Star. Good luck and let me know what you decide if you would like to contact me at bsnids@cfl.rr.com

dmack,

Yes, it's true that you not only need a toad auxillary braking system to get into Canada, but most stated down here also require it. I would suggest the Unified Tow Brak system as it worked well on my Jeep Cherokee. Better yet is the Air Force One system that I installed when I bought the heavier Jeep Commander last year. It operates off the coach air brake system and is easy to hook up. I pull the Commander behind my '04 Newmar Dutch Star. Good luck and let me know what you decide if you would like to contact me at bsnids@cfl.rr.com

Thanks very much for your replies folks. All your comments are appriciated, especially thanks for your kind comments from grammy8, blieve me, we feel the same way about your country and people. I will post back here sometime after I cross the border and let everyone know how it went.

dmack

It may depend on the port of entry. That is, the particular state that your are entering into. Each state has its own laws and you can view them here: Towing Laws

Also, most of the United Sates have reciprocal motor vehicle laws, so if you are legal in your state you are legal in other states, but I don't believe there is reciprocity between Canada and the US. So, it may well be that the border stations are aware of this and the may enforce a "general" rule that if a U.S. vehicle it is covered by that states law, but a Canadian vehicle may not be. Anyhow, that is just a theory that passed my small brain.

You would be so much safer for yourself and others to have a supplemental braking system before you travel. Maybe you could borrow or rent one and when you get to the U.S. purchase one at the savings you want.

Good luck.

Happy and safe travels.

Wayne, You are such a well-spring of information! Thanks for the web site for towing laws. I have bookmarked it for future reference.

First off, the question being asked is, "When going to the US, not to Canada. " With that being said, I have never been asked anything mechanical pertaining to the MH or a car or Motorcycle. In the past 10 years Ive crossed the border at least 500 times. The border guards are not there to enforce highway vehicle laws. They can call a trooper but have no jurisdiction on highway codes. I do agree that you need a braking system. Why don't you just drive the MH nd have your wife drive the car till you get the Brake Buddy.

Dmack

I have a Hummer3 that I tow I use the PATRIOT by Blue Ox. It is a easy set up, light weight, an has wireless remote that goes in your RV. The people at Blue OX are the BEST just call them with any Questions and they will walk U though.

The PATRIOT also has a built in battery that helps from running it on your car battery all the time. the battery in the Patriot will last for about 3 hrs. Then you can plug it into your car outlet. Or you can do what I had done.

I had them hook it up to RV battery (Motor) so the battery is always charging when the RV is running. The Patriot comes with extra wires so you don't need to buy any. I set My Patriot on 3 and it works just find. It also has a thumb bar that you can add pressure to the car brakes if you need them going down the mountain. You can also turn to zero when on flat ground and do not need it for braking. Set up is very easy after U had done it a few times.

Hope this helps.

benhogan7

I also have traveled into Canada towing a car on a tow dolly (which did have brakes) and back into the US and never have been asked any questions about auxillary brakes or anything about sytems on the motor home or car. The same is true going into and out of Mexico several times. The only people you will encounter at the border coming into the US are Immigration and Customs Enforcement officers (ICE) and perhaps Department of Agriculture officers depending on where you cross. Neither of which care anything about enforcing motor vehicle laws.