williames

Forever Tape

I don't want to be a guinea pig, therefore I'll wait for someone else to find that out.

9 hours ago, williames said:

Can Forever Tape be used to replace Caulk ?

Of course that is why you asked. <_< I did try some flexseal spray on my aluminum roof, been there three years now, still no leak.

How about a link to the product if you want our opinion on it. 

A quick search for "Forever Tape" did not come up with much.

12 hours ago, williames said:

See this is where having your coach in your signature (see wolfe10) would save time. On what coach? For a emergency repair? or as a permanent repair of a leak or just to get out of doing the repair/replacement of the roof caulk?  

Bill

3 hours ago, manholt said:

The word is "RV" now...not coach, unless we know! :blink:

I heard quite a few owners of bed tow trailers {fifth wheel} refer to their trailers as coaches.   In the olden days horses pulled coaches.

Thank you Bruce.  The Amish & Mennonite still do!  However, I have not seen any 5'ers or pull behinds, behind a horse or oxen!  

18 hours ago, williames said:

Guys,

We are straying WAY off course from the original topic.

Please, let's get this back to "Forever Tape" (assuming we get enough information to evaluate it).

Thanks.

Assuming that we're talking about something like Eternabond Tape, the answer is maybe, IMHO.

My preference is to get the caulking between the parts being sealed. For example, when installing a new vent on the roof I want to get caulking (whether from a tube or caulking tape) between the flange of the fan and the roof. I'll then apply self-leveling caulking over the top to seal the screws and seams. Kind of a belt and suspenders operation. Eternabond tape could be used in place of the self-leveling caulking, but I don't think it gets into the cracks/crevices as well.

There are times when I've had to reseal something or repair a small leak that developed, and in those cases I've applied the sealant on the outside after thoroughly cleaning/drying the area. For situations like this, something Eternabond Tape can be used. But, I try to make sure that the surface under the tape is as smooth as possible to give the tape a good chance to take hold. If there are globs of old caulking or if the surface looks cratered like Swiss cheese there is little chance that the tape will be able to make a good seal.

Bottom line, if there is a way to force caulking INTO the crack/leak/crevice I'll do that. No way that tape will be able to penetrate the same way. But, in a pinch Eternabond tape can be a real help.

Eternabond, I have used on both boats and pre 2000 coaches...I think its better than caulk!  It does fill in and easier to work with, also takes a lot of beating and vibration...far more so at 110 kn over water, than you'll ever get in  a coach!

Brett, the only "Forever Tape", that I know, was green & yellow and it was a Movie!  :P Lost more than it cost & that was not much! :blink:

Are we perhaps talking about what I know as "Fantom Tape"? It comes in several colors, you pull it off the roll, it is not tacky but clingy, pull it tight, wrap whatever you are wrapping and each wrap bonds to the last making a seal that can even withstand (in come cases) hydraulic pressure! Stuff is magic, AFAIK, it was developed by the defense department as a solution to protect the wiring in the old F4 Phantom military jet. Stuff is absolutely a must to have on hand! Neat to have a tape that actually becomes a high strength mass when wrapped under pressure... meaning wrapped with a lot of stretch..  Wish I had some pictures but my toolbox got stolen and I lost my supply...  Just looked up URL for product http://www.f4tape.com/

I guess "williames" isn't going to come back and help us figure out what it is they're asking about.  Like Brett, I searched and searched without finding any results for a product called "Forever Tape" or anything close. 

Moving on...