hoskey

12 V problems

I have 12V house current when plugged into 120V and/or with the gen set running,  Without 120V, I have no house current.  I have talked with Winnebago twice.  We thought it was the solenoid.  I replaced it yesterday but it didn't solve the problem.  Any ideas?  

Don't think the inverter/charger is the problem.  When on shore power or generator, all 12 VDC works, so charger section IS working.

What is voltage at the house battery bank with shore power or generator on and then after it has been off for an hour.

Assume you have checked battery water level and that battery connections are clean and tight.

I don't have a reset button.  I do have two fuses and both are good.  I just got off the phone with Winnebago and he says that the converter might not be charging the batteries and I need to check their voltage.  I will do that next but I don't think that is the issue because the house lights are still bright and the pump runs fine after a week of sitting with the 120V on.  

If you have no house 12 V when not plugged in to 120 volts, it sounds as though the house batteries are not doing their job. Check to see if the house batteries are in fact charged, if they are, then suspect a blown fuse or circuit breaker connecting the batteries to the house 12V system. The breaker or fuse is usually located in the battery compartment. And of course be sure to look for a salesman switch located near the entry door and make sure that it is not turned off.

And, what does voltage measure at the battery with shore power and generator OFF? And, then with shore power connected/generator on?

Do you have a manual battery disconnect near the batteries that might have been switched off by someone inadvertently?

When you checked the battery water level, did you put a voltmeter on the batteries to check the actual voltage (with the 120v power OFF)?

I'd start at the source (batteries) and confirm that you have 12v, then work my way down the system one switch point at a time to see where the problem is.

If your charger is working and your batteries are good, you should definitely have over 12v at the batteries with no shore or generator power connected.

I just checked the battery voltage.  I have 6.35 at each battery.  When hooked together, each one still indicates 6.35.  I guess that is the way they should register even though they are hooked together.  

Are these 6 VDC batteries?  If so, verify that they are hooked in SERIES:

Positive of battery #1 to house positive.

Negative of battery #1 to positive of battery #2

Negative of battery #2 to chassis ground

Voltage measure from positive of battery #1 to negative of battery #2= 12+ VDC.  Probably in low 13's with shore power on for awhile (inverter/charger in float mode).

12.7 VDC is a fully charged battery.  BUT no change in voltage on shore power AND nothing working when shore power/generator off suggests a problem between battery bank and you 12 VDC distribution panel.

From Winnebago you should be able to get a wiring schematic.  Work from batteries toward 12 VDC distribution panel and see where you loose voltage readings.

I have 12.7V at the input side of the solenoid and 0.5 at the ouput side.  There is a yellow wire on the solenoid that I think should activate the solenoid and it is not hot. 

With and without shore power.

Just talked with Winnebago.  He said yellow wire is only hot when the auxiliary start switch is activated.  They can't figure anything out.  I said I will probably have to go to the dealer. 

I am surprised that that solenoid is between the house battery bank and the 12 VDC fuse panel. Said another way, I doubt it is involved in getting house bank power to the fuse panel (unless you need the "battery combine" feature that activating the solenoid provides).

Locate the fuse panel and work back toward the batteries.

Do you have the wiring diagram for your 12 VDC system from Winnebago?

39 minutes ago, hoskey said:

I have 12.7V at the input side of the solenoid and 0.5 at the ouput side.  There is a yellow wire on the solenoid that I think should activate the solenoid and it is not hot.

Just talked with Winnebago.  He said yellow wire is only hot when the auxiliary start switch is activated.

If this is the case, it is the solenoid for aux battery power in the event of low battery on chassis side. There should be 12 V+ on both input and output side, more indication that there is something not making contact on the house battery side. As indicated by others, start at the house batteries and find every junction going to your 12 V control panel. There should be 12 V on both sides of each junction all the way to the 12 V control panel. Many of these units have a pair of fuses on the control panel that are placed there in the event of wrong polarity being accidently sent to the control panel They are usually 30 to 40 amp, and will only blow in the event of wrong polarity being introduced.

I think you are both correct.  That solenoid is for the emergency start.  When we press that switch, it activates.  Yes I have a wiring diagram.  And I will start at the fuse panel and work backwards, after I finish my income tax.  Thanks for your help.  I will keep you informed.