jamestilden

Portable air compressor to inflate coach tires

Do you have a coach that has air brakes. If so you should have an on-board outlet valve that tow trucks use to tow.  I have filled 22.5 inch tires up to 110 psi.

If you add the information on your RV in your signature line it will be easier to get answers.

We carry a small (1.5-gallon) Porter Cable electric compressor. It will run off shore power or generator and will pump up to 125psi. What I really like about this pump is that the pressure only drops to about 100psi before the pump kicks back in, which lets us top off our tires pretty easily since we keep them at 95 psi.

I was going to get a 12vdc pump,  but had trouble finding one with a high enough max pressure and a high enough flow rate to be worthwhile. You're tires are a bit smaller than ours, so you could probably make do with one of the better quality 12vdc units.

I've also carry an air hose to use the coach's engine's compressor to fill tires, but that requires running the engine. I like to fill tires before the sun starts to hit the tires, and that's usually too early for starting the engine. Nice to have the ability to do so if necessary though. I like redundancy.

I generally use my coach air and I have built a bleeder similar to the one in the FMCA magazine March issue, been using it for years.  I also have a 110v direct air compressor that will go to excess of 150 pounds.  I have tried it on my front tire, 100 psi, 245/75 22.5.  I bleed it down to 95 and used the compressor to bring it back to 100 psi.  Took about 3-4 minutes.  If I had to fill more than that I would have put an inline dryer in the line.  The compressor is a Goodyear i8000 from Amazon for $52.  I chose 110v over 12 volt because I think its easier to string a 110 extension cord than a 12 volt.

10 minutes ago, desertdeals69 said:

...I chose 110v over 12 volt because I think its easier to string a 110 extension cord than a 12 volt.

You're right on that one. If someone needs/wants a 12v compressor, better to use airline extensions than trying to build a 12v extension cord.

Bruce, thanks.  I have been looking for one, I don't like using my inboard air & then there is the weight of the 50 foot hose!

5 hours ago, jamestilden said:

Can a portable air compressor properly inflate  coach tires (245/70R19.5 ) .  if so what type and size?

First welcome to the forum. Yes you can get a portable Compressor to air up your tiers. The thing to pay attention to when looking is what is it's working pressure and what kind of volume can you get before it is below the pressure you are shooting for in your tire. You probably have run into this before, where you don't have enough difference in air pressure between the pressure in the air compressor and  in the tire you are trying to air up. It will take a long time. I have a  DEWALT DWFP55126 6-Gallon 165 PSI Pancake Compressor  You can get them from Amazon under $130.00. 

If you really need a 12V unit I recommend the  Viair 40047 400P-RV Automatic Portable Compressor Kit also on Amazon $312.95

Let us know if you have questions or what you get.

Bill

In a 19.5 tire, you don't need anything above 125 psi...I have several 12v that will handle your tire, at less than $50 from Amazon to Home Depot or Wall Mart.  

Some things thing to remember when considering inflating your 19.5 or 22.5 or any tire with Load Range greater than E or ANY steel body tire.

You should never re-inflate a tire that has been operated "Flat"   Flat means after losing 20% of the minimum inflation needed to carry the load.

I would also recommend considering that if you had one dual go flat and drove on its companion, the companion is now suspect and potentially dangerous. I cover this in my seminars on tires and mention injuries that have occurred by not using an approved safety cage.  You really do not want to be anywhere near a tire when it goes "Bang"

Off course you don't.  But I don't plan on changing a tire any time soon!  Just air it up a little!  So, IMHO both of the video's is "Over Kill", for the question by OP!  

On 4/2/2019 at 9:31 PM, richard5933 said:

You're right on that one. If someone needs/wants a 12v compressor, better to use airline extensions than trying to build a 12v extension cord.

I carry a 150 psi , 12V compressor ($60 new) and a 120VAC ,150 psi pancake compressor(( $70 new). I would never use the chassis air system, wonder how much a replacement engine-driven compressor costs? It does sound impressive, a 350HP(and up) driven compressor that must be bled down to restart the compressor just to top off a tire.

To help with an explanation above;

• If you stumble upon a tire that is under inflated below 20%, do not top it off, seek professional help.
    • There is a good chance it has internal damage and could fail upon adding air. This is assuming you do not have Tire Pressure Monitoring, if you do it should be programmed to alarm you long before the pressure drops this far. 
  • If your tire isn't below 20% and you need to add air;
    •  stand clear of the trajectory path, purchase a inflation tool with a long whip hose that will allow you be be clear (2nd photo), add air and pay attention, if you hear a cracking/popping sound GET AWAY. 

The first photo is the typical tire inflation tool, I am not a fan of this type as you must kneel there with your body in the trajectory path. I wont fill a car tire with this type. 

The second photo is the type I prefer, it snaps onto the valve stem and allows you to be a safe distance from the tire. The one I use has a 12' hose and only cost a little more.

And as always, if you are unsure, see professional help. 

PHOTO 1

51WMPyo92vL._SY355_.jpg

PHOTO 2

Tire-Inflator-60psi-analog-gauge-6ft-whip-clip-on-chuck-power-tank-main_480x480.jpg

Great suggestion on using the whip hose to inflate tires. Have you seen one that will work on a rear dual valve stem which faces towards the wheel? Right now I use an inflator similar to that shown in photo #1, and I use both sides of the air chuck to get it on all my valve stems.

4 minutes ago, richard5933 said:

Have you seen one that will work on a rear dual valve stem which faces towards the wheel?

They do make them, Here is an example. I have had to put it between the duels and lock it on by pulling it with two fingers onto the valve stem. It can be a real pain but when you think of the consequences its worth the extra steps. 

https://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemDisplay.cfm?lookup=MIL553&source=froogle&kw=MIL553&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiKe756-24QIVzMDICh1v7glZEAkYAyABEgJa0fD_BwE

2 hours ago, richard5933 said:

Great suggestion on using the whip hose to inflate tires. Have you seen one that will work on a rear dual valve stem which faces towards the wheel? Right now I use an inflator similar to that shown in photo #1, and I use both sides of the air chuck to get it on all my valve stems.

I have changed the stem on the outer dual wheel to a short stem slightly bent which gives me straight on access for the clip on.

17 hours ago, tireman9 said:

I cover this in my seminars on tires and mention injuries that have occurred by not using an approved safety cage.  You really do not want to be anywhere near a tire when it goes "Bang"

Seriously, Show me where you have your approved safety cage stored on your RV so you can check the tire pressure and maybe add 5 psi. If you have all this knowledge on tires, why are you showing videos of exploding split rims that are illegal to be used on a RV? Well since the mid 70.

Why are you showing fake video (it depicts what could happen with a dummy) where the tire was deliberately blown up? 

All the OP wanted to know was "Can a portable air compressor properly inflate  coach tires (245/70R19.5 )" 

jamestilden, Hope you weren't put off by all this and come back. 

Bill

Bill,

I believe this is the important part of the warning that Roger posted: " You should never re-inflate a tire that has been operated "Flat"   Flat means after losing 20% of the minimum inflation needed to carry the load."

I do not read that as "you can't add 5 PSI to a tire".  I read that as "if there is a likelihood that the tire is damaged, do not stand in front of it while inflating.

34 minutes ago, wolfe10 said:

I believe this is the important part of the warning that Roger posted: " You should never re-inflate a tire that has been operated "Flat"   Flat means after losing 20% of the minimum inflation needed to carry the load."

That part would be fine. However I find it totally disingenuous to next post videos of split rim tires exploding. 

When the Op in his first post on the forum ask a simple question. All the OP wanted to know was "Can a portable air compressor properly inflate  coach tires (245/70R19.5 )". 

45 minutes ago, wolfe10 said:

I do not read that as "you can't add 5 PSI to a tire".  I read that as "if there is a likelihood that the tire is damaged, do not stand in front of it while inflating.

Ok I used 5 psi as an example. Adding a caution is one thing. However tireman9 never answered the OPs question instead starts implying (using videos) you can't add air unless you have a cage.  

How much air did you add the last time you adjusted tire preshure on your RV? 

All the OP wanted to know was "Can a portable air compressor properly inflate  coach tires (245/70R19.5 )". 

Bill 

I agree with the inflate a "flat" or 20% of minimum!  IMHO Brett, I believe the OP was  just asking for a 12v way, for him to maintain his correct PSI ! 

14 minutes ago, manholt said:

I agree with the inflate a "flat" or 20% of minimum!  IMHO Brett, I believe the OP was  just asking for a 12v way, for him to maintain his correct PSI ! 

Agreed.

But, particularly for a newbie/first time poster, not unreasonable that there are warnings, especially if this is their first experience with large tires.

"You should never re-inflate a tire that has been operated "Flat"   Flat means after losing 20% of the minimum inflation needed to carry the load." Tireman quote.

I guess I need a definition of "operated". Many times I've slowly driven a few hundred feet on a flat tire to a safe area before changing the tire. I have taken the tire in for repair and then safely used it for many more miles.  

What am I missing here? 

I do carry a 150# rated Porter-Cable compressor to top off my tires when needed.

Jim S.  Your not alone!  Like Bruce, I never knew, it was advertised that we where doing everything all wrong, before EPA & PC & environmentalists, came along!  I remember getting a leak in a tire...front or rear...just wrap it up in Duct Tape, put air to it & limp along to a tire shop/gas station.  Have it fixed and go on!  Did not have or know about TPM's!

Balanced Load/Over Weight ?  Huh?  31' Gas coach, with twin 75 gal fuel tank & 80 fresh water, we where over weight before we drove down the drive! :ph34r::lol: 

In the mid 80's, twin 150 gal diesel tanks on a 35 foot DP, was common!  :wacko:

On 4/3/2019 at 7:45 PM, RayIN said:

I carry a 150 psi , 12V compressor ($60 new) and a 120VAC ,150 psi pancake compressor(( $70 new). I would never use the chassis air system, wonder how much a replacement engine-driven compressor costs? It does sound impressive, a 350HP(and up) driven compressor that must be bled down to restart the compressor just to top off a tire.

The engine air compressor is always in use when the engine is running.  It has to keep the air system up at all times for the suspension and brakes.  Using it to fill tires or power an air wrench is not a problem.

19 minutes ago, desertdeals69 said:

The engine air compressor is always in use when the engine is running.  It has to keep the air system up at all times for the suspension and brakes.  Using it to fill tires or power an air wrench is not a problem.

20 minutes ago, desertdeals69 said:

My bad, anything with 19.5" tires is unlikely to have an engine-driven compressor.