shmily18

Towing my Jeep JK?

I have a 2014 Newmar Ventana which has a Blue Ox BX7420 tow bar. I recently purchased a 2017 JK Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon that I plan to tow. I have picked out a Poison Spyder front bumper and skid plate. I will be connecting the tow bar lugs from the tow bar to the recovery shackles on the new bumper. My question is where have others connected their safety cables. I'm thinking I will have some loops, D rings or...  welded to the bottom of the Jeep frame crossmember and of course brake and electrical points too, if anyone has suggestions, pictures or both I'd appreciate it. I am new to towing, bought the coach used and it came with the tow bar and brake system. I am enclosing the bumper model number if you need it. Poison Spyder 17-55-010BTP1 Bruizer MID Bumper and 17-57-030P1 skid plate. THANK YOU. 

shmily18, We tow a 2014 JKU with a M&G brake system (with breakaway) and a Demco tow bar.

Roadmaster and Demco are the only two bars that I am aware of that have the available ends to pull directly off of the bumper. I pull directly from the D-Ring loops. I bolted a chain on each side of the JKU frame for my safety chains. When not in use I drop them into the skid plates.

The photo of the front of the jeep is different now than when I took this photo. I moved the air line connection up to the grill area and re positioned the breakaway switch so its recessed. I altered it when I added the optional skid plate to the front which is also not in the photo.

Brake system;

https://m-gengineering.com/products/

IMG_3911.thumb.JPG.fcd47234aca08303329fb96e52b935c9.JPG

IMG_3946.JPG

jeep_bumper.jpg

I tow my Jeep Wrangler with a Roadmaster and no base plate, have a steel front bumper and use my D ring connection on each side for the tow attachment.  I have a large 4 inch D ring on each side, under the bumper to attach the safety cables to!  M&G brake system, Jeep side air connection in grill.  Since the Jeep runs on 35" x 12.5 x R18 tires, I used 2, 2" x 2" x 18" ID, HD square tubing to raise the Tow Bar for level towing!   Unless he deleted it, Joe has pictures of my set up!

I tow a JK Rubicon also/ used a Blueox faceplate. Didn't want to go used. Purchased baseplate, harness, tow bar, Removed factory bumper, skid plate and just bolted it on existing frame holes. Pretty simple only took a few hours. Put all factory parts back on. Kit came with safety cables looped them around plate and frame rail. Got a Patriot II for braking and ran a separate  wire harness to the rear installing two additional blubs for stop and turn signals. Pretty simple and all parts are on Amazon. 

We tow or JK Wrangler with a Rock Hard 4x4 front bumper. It has mounting points for the Blue Ox tow bar and recovery shackles. We attached the safety cables to the recovery shackles. 

We also use the Mopar Wiring harness to run the lighting and this makes for a really clean install. The Mopar harness plugs into the existing harness in the Jeep and comes with a pig tail, with a 7 pin connector, that is removable when not towing  

We run a Brake Buddy for brake assist. 

FA595216-64EB-4AFB-97CB-1337CC72BC36.jpeg