hanfam

RV Registration HELP

We are full time RVers that will be part-time in Idaho after August 1, 2019 (escrow closes at that date).  Our 2017 Dutch Star's registration is currently in California and is due in May.  We are traveling from California to Michigan starting June 1 to visit the Spartan and Newmar factories for warranty service.  We do not want to pay the California registration, but can not acquire the Idaho registration until August 1 (proof of residency).  Any suggestions on receiving temporary registration from May to August?  

Does California allow for partial-year registration? Here is Wisconsin we can get tags by the quarter for heavy vehicles.

When you talk to the DMV, there looks to be some type of 'Application for Refund' form available on the California DMV website. Seems like this might get you a refund on the portion of the fees/taxes you paid for the time period after the point you move the vehicle out of California. Looks somewhat complicated, but certainly worth asking about.

Everything about CA is complicated, when it has to do with the State owing you!  Good Luck on that.  

I take it, that you have a CA drivers license.  There are some States (don't know if Idaho is one  of them) that will allow you to get a Temp. DL on a PO Box!  90 days.  Also, if you can prove that you have a pending escrow on the Idaho house, with a address, you might be able to register your vehicles now, or June 1.

The other option is a Montana LLC and run their plates, until your house is yours, then just change over to Idaho plates...easy to get a LLC & equally easy to put it into inactive!

Everyone is giving us much to discuss.  We have spoken with DMV consultant in Idaho to confirm we have to be there physically with our RV along with proof of residency.  Unfortunately, speaking with a CA rep is VERY difficult.  We have made an appointment for April 12.  We will ask about the many points presented on this forum.  Thank you!

Hanfam.

I re read your post.  Your coach is 2 years old and your full time...why did you register it in CA?  You don't seem to know much about the vehicle laws of CA.  Did you  buy the coach there and used a family members address to get it registered?  Your DL, is that CA also?  

I'm sorry for these questions, but I'm trying to make sense of it all.  The last time I had a residence (I used my parents) add in CA. was in 1964.  I needed a car & DL, when I came out of the Army.  I stayed long enough to receive my DL in the mail...

I would cancel the 4/12 appointment, as long as your DL is good, you may leave the State of CA and notify CA. DMV by mail after August 1, that you have moved to another state.  Per the California DMV web site, there are no penalties involved for that.  They only require that you notify them within 20 days of your having moved.  It cleans up their records, so they won't send you Automatic Renewal notices anymore! :)

If Idaho asks about the 2 month laps, tell them the truth, you was out of State traveling and getting warranty work done!