inws9

Holding Tank Support

About a month ago the front end of our black tank drain valve developed a small crack and began to drip.  We called in a mobile repair crew and when they opened the bottom of the fifth wheel to expose the tanks to access the valve they were somewhat amazed at the lack of support for both the gray and black tanks.  Each are 40 gallon tanks spanning the width of the trailer with a protruded type lip on either side that rests on approximately 11/2" angle irons.  The tanks are made of some type of resin material that have seemed to expand over time and are now bowed on the bottom.  This has caused the outlet pipe to actually be above the bottom of the tanks thereby never allowing them to fully drain.  We have never traveled with more than a few gallons of water in either of the tanks but I am concerned that there is a minimum amount of support here.  This concern is further amplified by a comment made to us a year ago when another repair tech had to replace the insulation under the tanks after a leak in our water system.  He advised that our problem was minimal compared to the times he had to fix dropped black tanks.  Our fifth wheel is a 2015 Arctic Fox and we are full timers.  Any thoughts or considerations from others?

inws9, Welcome to the FMCA forums! 

Did he have any suggestions? My first thought is you have ample ground clearance, I would have them remade out of heavier angle iron and add a few rows, perhaps he can source the materials from a local fabrication shop and install it?

This happened to a friends Trailer made by Cross Roads, Their gray tank fell out onto the ground and flooded their campsite. Theirs was under warranty, the repair made by the dealer was pathetic, they added pipe strapping between the current flat stock. Wasn't much longer after that they traded it in, new one, really no different, but that tank hasn't fallen out yet.

So based off of my small experience with these, the mobile RV mechanic would be your best option to modify it once and for all. I'd have him check the gray tank as well and come up with some solutions, if you want let us know what he is thinking and maybe attach some current photos, i'm sure we could help come up with a viable solution. 

Thanks for your reply.  We are in an area where we have been experiencing strange weather so haven't really dug back into this.  Original exposure was in Arizona and we are now back in Idaho.  Today we pulled the bottom skin to expose the tanks and a friend is coming tomorrow and we are going to try to find a solution.  Northwood Mfg. says this is their system and they apparently see no reason to change.  This is our 7th RV in the last 25 years, 5 have been new with 2 slightly used.  This is the first that we have used as full timers and to say our disappointment level in what the market offers is not describable in this forum.  We will see what we determine tomorrow as a possible fix.  From what I have learned this rigging system is apparently common in the industry.  Thanks again.

Latest update on this project.....  In 2 1/2 hours we installed 2 each 766 working pound load ratchet straps from corner to opposing corner to each of the holding tanks.  Under the straps we put some old carpet that was doubled up under the ratchet buckle to avoid any wear on the tanks wall.  We put just enough pressure on the tanks to assure that they could not fall off the angle iron factory installed supports.  We then reinstalled the insulation and bottom skin.  Total cost $16.19 and the time involved included the trip to Home Depot for the straps.  My observation here is that the industry as a whole could take this type of step as a precaution add $50 to the cost of the unit and the world could be a happy carefree place.

Well...I know that I am a little late chiming in on this,  Build quality suffers across the RV'ing industry imho.  All types and sizes suffer from this.  My last 5th wheel...a 30' Teton Homes Grand Sundance was about the best as far as build quality.  Zero structural issues over the 14 years that we owned her. BUT... they all require meticulous maintenance.  Fail to do this and bad stuff happens.  The solution to your tank support issues is workable for the short haul but I would recommend finding a metal guy that could fabricate some sort of bolt in additional support for your tank.  IF your not planning to replace those nylon straps periodically they will rot and break under tension. Now days the 5th wheel industry as a whole is missing the high quality units unless you go with one of the high end builders such as Spacecraft or New Horizons.  Last year we purchased a new Arctic Fox.  Kind of a mix of quality but the weal areas are not structural.  That stuff I can handle tuning a bit.  Not many miles on her but pretty satisfied generally.  I wanted to buy an older Country Coach but wifey wanted to stay with the 5er.

Rick