kliwks

Which tires need balancing

I got prices from 2 local truck tire dealers. One of them was part of the Michelin advantage program. I was getting a quote for Bridgestone R268 Ecopia's. One quote included balancing for only the front 2 tires. When I asked he said they don't ever do the rears? Is this correct? I was also told that they cannot guarantee the date codes on the tires. My tires are not a popular size, and they may be last years date code. 245/75R22.5. Because the tires are stored indoors, he said date code should not affect tire life.

Open to opinions of more experienced tire buyers here. Thanks in advance for your input.

kliwks,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

I would disagree with the dealer who down-played production date-- you are very likely (like over 95%) to replace the tires based on TIME, not tread wear.

So, no guarantee of date code, no sale (to me at least).  And, all it would take is a call from the dealer to the warehouse to ask the stock man to "help him out" with this.

On every tire purchase in the last decade, I have specified the minimum DOT number (last 4) that I would accept.  Even got Sam's Club to order fresh tires for our toad that way!

You will hear discussions on each side of the "balance rear tires" argument. As the dealer said, very few balance them--- much heavier weight on that axle and with 2 on each side, likely to "self-balance". But, if you are detail orientated, pay the extra and have them balanced-- OR drive, and if ANY vibration in the coach that is not in the steering wheel, have the rears balanced then.

I agree with the previous comments about the date code - if the dealer can't get you fresh tires then you need a new dealer. Unless, of course, he's going to pro-rate the price of the tires based on how much of the life was spent wasting away on a shelf somewhere.

Balancing? If you are going to rotate tires get them all balanced. Some coaches can have the tires rotated so this is important. We will get all ours balanced - for me anything that can help reduce drive line vibration is a benefit, even if I have to pay more for it.

Agree with all that has been said before.  Would never buy tires that have a production date of 6 months or older.  Always balance all of our tires when mounting. 

All should be balanced. Regardless of tire position, an unbalanced tire will wear faster and put more stress on axle bearings.  Ever watch a front load clothes washer as it begins to spin out water? It has an automatic load balancer to reduce component wear; sorta like the centramatic balancers for vehicle tires.

Yep.  I don't buy a tire older than 4 months max, I bite the bullet and replace all 8 & balanced.  

As Brett said, we go by time, not wear!  Same thing applies to your toad, you can't go by mileage rating...unless you add in coach miles!

Seems everyone agree's on this subject. I will get them all balanced. I will work on date codes. Maybe I'll have them shipped in and check date codes before actual purchase. Thanks so much for your replies and advice.

If the tire dealer lets the warehouse man know that you will only accept tires no older than XX, pretty strong suspicion that it what would be sent. 

These tire dealers and tire manufacturer warehouse men have a working relationship to keep on a high level.