OlYeller

Old Guy, New Here

Just joined.  I have been an RVer since 2004.  I have had 2 trailers and 2 Class Cs one of which I have now.  My wife and I enjoyed the RV very much.  Sadly she was stricken with spinal cancer which robbed her of her mobility for 2.5 years and finally took her life last November.  We discussed what my plans would be after her passing and she gave me some advice and her blessing.  I sold our house, rented a small apartment and bought a very nice, brand new, Entegra Esteem Class C last month.  I have been on 1 trip to the ocean which was our favorite place to go.  That trip was haunted with memories, some sad but many happy.  I am leaving today for a 3 day trip to meet with each of my 2 daughters in 2 different campgrounds on the Olympic Peninsula.  My apartment is East of Seattle in Microsoftland.

My plan is to "Mostly Time" travelling for weeks or months at a time but touching home every so often to see the kids and hug the grandkids.  I purchased my Toad yesterday.  On Saturday I am having the Dish Satellite installed on my RV.  Then I have to figure out a towing system for my Toad.  Once that is done, I am free to hit the road.

I have some serious heart issues myself but my cardiologist said I am free to go as long as I check in with him every 6 months or so.  My wife was the very cautious type over our long time (45 years) together.  When she became ill her attitude changed.  She advocated to me and her caregivers "Not to wait".  I plan to get as much as I can out of the time I have left here.  As for my posting style, I will post when I feel I have something to add but never post just too see my post count move. I travel with my newly adopted rescue dog, Hope, who is a Beagle/miniature Dachshund mix.  She is the sweetest pup you'd ever meet! See you down the road!

Welcome to the forum. 

2 hours ago, OlYeller said:

I purchased my Toad yesterday.

What toad did you get? What tow equipment are you looking at?

Bill

OlYeller, welcome to the forum. Sorry for the loss of the DW, but glad to hear that you have decided to keep on keeping on. Congratulations on the rescue pup and good luck with that treasure. Stay in touch with the forum members, and if you have any questions or concerns about our favorite hobby, just ask here. You will not find a better group to converse with.Many happy tales and trails. Kay

Olyeller, welcome to the FMCA family and forums!

Sorry to hear of your wife’s passing. Congratulations on the new RV, glad you are hitting the road and enjoying yourself. You will most likely gain a few friends on here but you might want to also look into a chapter, that’s where you will really meet friends. Should you need some help with that let me know.

If you have any questions on towing gear post in “Toad-towing behind motorhome” section we’d be glad to help.

Keep in touch and check in on occasion, there is usually some good conversation on here.

OlYeller.  Welcome!

Deepest Condolence on your recent loss!  45 years is a long time...your wife had the right words, don't wait, just do it.  

Good Luck & may the Lord Bless you and your Pup, on your new journey! 

On 4/9/2019 at 11:38 AM, WILDEBILL308 said:

Welcome to the forum. 

What toad did you get? What tow equipment are you looking at?

Bill

I bought a 2007 VW Beetle.  It doesn't have much optional stuff and is a manual 5 speed but it only had 76,000 miles and I got it cheap.  I have just started my research on the tow equipment.  Demco seems to have everything for the Beetle.  I an looking at a "stay and Play?" brake system.  I think that is what it was called.  It is a permanently installed system.  I am open to suggestions.

I always like to check the Remco towing site to make shure they think it is towable 4 down. It looks like you are in luck.

http://www.remcotowing.com/Towing/Store.php

You might be able to find a used Brake Buddy or similar auxiliary braking equipment and save some money. I bought a Blue Ox tow bar and a Brake Buddy from some people who had quit traveling and sold their RV. I had the towbar serviced by Blue OX at a FMCA rally for about $30.00.

Bill

Olyeller,

M&G Engineering in Athens, Texas makes unit that may work for you. Give Monty a call Monday and ask him if they have one that may work. Their units are installed and then only requires plugging in.

I hope Monty has a unit that will work for you.

Herman 

2 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

Herman, the OP has a Entegra Esteem Class C gas coach. Nice coach but he would need to add a air compressor.

Bill 

M&G has a version 2.0 that is very similar to AF1.

Or their traditional system is compatible with a gasser if you purchase that portion of the kit (air compressor).

OlYeller,

Does you 2007 VW have power brakes? If so the M&g 2.0 will work. I have contacted Monty and ask if the 2.0 will work on a VW without power brakes. He will get back to me Monday or Tuesday.

Herman

OlYeller, Joe uses the Demco tow bar & loves it.  I have Roadmaster, Bill & Herman have Blue Ox...nothing wrong with any off them!

22 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

OlYeller,

Doe you 2007 VW have power brakes? If so the M&g 2.0 will work. I have contacted Monty and ask if the 2.0 will work on a VW without power brakes. He will get back to me Monday or Tuesday.

Herman

Thanks Herman.  I'm not sure if my VW has power brakes or not.  I'll check it out in a few days.  I am recovering from a bout of AFIB which landed me in the hospital on Friday.  Also Texas is a ways from me as I live in the Great Northwet ie the greater Seattle area.

On 4/9/2019 at 2:03 PM, OlYeller said:

Just joined.  I have been an RVer since 2004.  I have had 2 trailers and 2 Class Cs one of which I have now.  My wife and I enjoyed the RV very much.  Sadly she was stricken with spinal cancer which robbed her of her mobility for 2.5 years and finally took her life last November.  We discussed what my plans would be after her passing and she gave me some advice and her blessing.  I sold our house, rented a small apartment and bought a very nice, brand new, Entegra Esteem Class C last month.  I have been on 1 trip to the ocean which was our favorite place to go.  That trip was haunted with memories, some sad but many happy.  I am leaving today for a 3 day trip to meet with each of my 2 daughters in 2 different campgrounds on the Olympic Peninsula.  My apartment is East of Seattle in Microsoftland.

My plan is to "Mostly Time" travelling for weeks or months at a time but touching home every so often to see the kids and hug the grandkids.  I purchased my Toad yesterday.  On Saturday I am having the Dish Satellite installed on my RV.  Then I have to figure out a towing system for my Toad.  Once that is done, I am free to hit the road.

I have some serious heart issues myself but my cardiologist said I am free to go as long as I check in with him every 6 months or so.  My wife was the very cautious type over our long time (45 years) together.  When she became ill her attitude changed.  She advocated to me and her caregivers "Not to wait".  I plan to get as much as I can out of the time I have left here.  As for my posting style, I will post when I feel I have something to add but never post just too see my post count move. I travel with my newly adopted rescue dog, Hope, who is a Beagle/miniature Dachshund mix.  She is the sweetest pup you'd ever meet! See you down the road!

Good luck and have a great time and enjoy you new rv that's very exciting .  Mike

On 4/14/2019 at 6:41 AM, OlYeller said:

Thanks Herman.  I'm not sure if my VW has power brakes or not.  I'll check it out in a few days.  I am recovering from a bout of AFIB which landed me in the hospital on Friday.  Also Texas is a ways from me as I live in the Great Northwet ie the greater Seattle area.

Yes, my 2007 Beetle has power brakes.

I've decided to go with a local guy here who has been highly recommended by my RV club.  He will be using a Roadmaster set up with a Brake Buddy.  He does it all including lights and a charge line. Thanks for all the input!

It is funny how when you own a toad , you have to change your perspective.  As an example My new RV needs some warranty work where Ill have to leave it for a few days.  I was thinking I'd have to impose on a buddy to come with me to give me a ride home as the dealer is an hour and a half from me.  Then I realized, dummy, hook the toad to the RV and drive yourself home!

I used to have a collapsible, "A" frame ball hitch, on my Jeep.  Real handy for any vehicle, including Jeep, that had to go to a shop!

Got it done and everything works except a front headlamp. Turns out a prior owner broke some plastic clips and tried to fix it with plain masking tape.  New headlight is on its way to me.  The VW tows well behind my RV.  The installers did a good job.