timnatc

Time to replace tires

I am replacing tires for the first time and had a question as I start to do my research. I have a 2006 Itasca Ellipse. The tire size is 275/80 R22.5. The tire manufacture date for each tire is:

• Front left - 3012
  • Front right - 3912
  • Back left - 4913 (I am not sure what the manufacture date on the inside tire is)
  • Back right - 4913 (I am not sure what the manufacture date on the inside tire is)

My question is, is it okay to replace the front tires and not the back ones at the same time? The back tires are not showing any signs of cracking. My plan was to replace the front tires within the next 4-6 weeks and back tires this time next year.

Any insight would be appreciated!

Tim,

Welcome to the Forum.

You should replace the front now. On the rear I would not only look at the side walls for cracking but also between the treads. If you see none there you should be alright. I would inspect the tire before each trip just to be on the safe side.

Good luck and safe travels.

Herman

Yep!  That should work.  If you start loosing air on any tire in back, pull it and find out why!  Also, have them inspect the inside core of the tire!  If one is bad, they are IMHO all bad!

I think replacing the front without replacing the backs is fine obviously if the rear tires still have another year in them.  My understanding is you should replace all tires if you drive an AWD vehicle it messes with the transfer switch.  This is not the case so you should be good.

If they make a AWD coach, I have never heard of it...Even the "Earth Roamer" is 2 wheel or 6 wheel drive.  Your choice!

14 hours ago, Mjarry said:

Tim was referring to the only time I heard of having to change all tires at the same time was when it was an AWD vehicle.

While this is true, there is one other place you need to match tires. When changing duels they must be matched in size. If not you will have uneven wear and possibly/probable tire failure.

Bill