pollonbeeche

Hankook tires for RVs

My coach is a 2007 Holiday Rambler Vacationer Diesel 34ft on a Roadmaster chassis. I would like to know if anyone has any experience with HANKOOK RV tires TH22, AH37 or HANKOOK REGIONAL, I never used anything other than MICHELIN XZE, had a bad experience with the GOOD YEAR's that came with my coach when I purchased it new in 2007 I had to replaced them with MICHELIN XZE  after only 4 years, they were caping badly. My set of MICHELINS have performed flawlessly and I need new tires on my coach now because of age not wear, they are beginning to show cracking on the sidewalls. The tire size is 255/70 R22.5. 

I am only planing on keeping my coach for another two years and I don't want to spend the price that they are charging for a new set of MICHELIN XZE.

Can anyone share with me their experience with any of these three types of HANKOOK TIRES and maybe make me a recommendation.

Thank you. 

Rod Beeche

Edited by pollonbeeche
Iportan coach description

I have been running AH12 and am happy with their performance.  I recently was in contact with tire shop and was advised that AH12 is no longer available and has been replaced with AH37.

There has been several post recently on the use of regional tires on motorhomes and the consensus was that they were NOT recommended for motorhome use.

JIm

I'm with Ray.  That's not to say, that there is something wrong with all other brands.  IMHO, all tires are created equal & have the same 6 years, 11 month average life expectancy, in both mileage, or time.  Since they came out with radial/steel belted, I have used Michelin's on all my coaches!

When we buy a new coach, as OP did, we expect new tires....that very seldom happens!  Chassis are delivered to the builder of your coach and may sit out in the weather, until needed, then pulled on line and your coach, when completed will be driven to a dealership and sit for a X factor of time before purchase!  Buyer beware, look at DOT # and if more than 6 months old, insist on a new set (max 3 months)!  Same goes for chassis batteries. 

I bought Sailun S637 regional tires, they  perform wonderfully, better than the previous Goodyear RV tires. Carl is right about sitting outside, my cargo trailer sits outside with direct sunlight on passenger side. Those 2 tires are severely weather-checked and cracked, the North side tires look like new; I"ll be replacing them this spring.

On 4/12/2019 at 6:53 AM, RayIN said:

I bought Sailun S637 regional tires, they  perform wonderfully, better than the previous Goodyear RV tires. Carl is right about sitting outside, my cargo trailer sits outside with direct sunlight on passenger side. Those 2 tires are severely weather-checked and cracked, the North side tires look like new; I"ll be replacing them this spring.

Ray, I have a new seminar with a focus on trailer application which has different issues than when on motorhomes. Come on up to Minot and sit in.

Thanks for the invitation Roger, regrettably we are unable to attend. I would enjoy attending your seminar, the day I stop learning is the day they close the lid on me. Something many do not understand is tire punctures, they allow water to enter the steel cords if not properly repaired with a Plug N Patch.

My wife has never fully recovered from the auto wreck 3 years ago, probably never will. We can only do short trips now ~200 miles, due to her back pain, and the TBI left her with a speech impediment that makes her uncomfortable around others.

Those tires on my cargo trailer are still inflated, but after sitting outside for 3+ years-unmoved, it's next tow will be to have new tires installed; might have to remove them and just take the wheels to the tire shop. I think Carlisle is the mfgr that says ST tires should be replaced every 3 years, poor memory these days.

9 hours ago, RayIN said:

Carlisle is the mfgr that says ST tires should be replaced every 3 years, poor memory these days

RayIn, sorry to hear about your wife! 

I had a tandem axle cargo trailer a few years back, It came with Carlisle tires from the factory. ST225/75R15 was the size, I replaced them at year 8 when they had 4/32 of tread remaining.