squiredude

Wrap vs. Decal Replacement vs. Full paint job???

Hi Folks,

I know I have read threads on here on this subject but most were 3-5 years old and times and technology is moving so fast these days. 

So here is my question... I have a '97 Fleetwood Discovery 36ft and the "Go Faster Strips" are faded and the clear coat I had sprayed 4 years ago is peeling badly (do not think it was prepped properly, but that is history).

Q?  Which is better and most cost effective resolution to brighten the coach?

1. Have decals removed and replaced?
  2. Have decals removed and paint entire coach (2 color w/no stripes)?
  3. Have the entire coach wrapped?
  4. other suggestions?

I don't think I am up to the task of prepping or doing much, if any, of the work myself.  Being retired and on SSI budget is a big issue so cost vs. quality is a dismal target!  What sort of budget should I be looking at and time frame?

I Look forward to your suggestions and thoughts.  If anyone actually has a shop recommendation that would be great.

Thanks folks for the effort.

I had Mikes custom painting do my 98 Discovery 2 years ago.  He's located in Bremen Indiana.  He does it for less money than most, $14k.

That is an option but with today's sensitive on again off again issue I am dubious...  but that is am option I am considering. Thanks

2 hours ago, desertdeals69 said:

I had Mikes custom painting do my 98 Discovery 2 years ago.  He's located in Bremen Indiana.  He does it for less money than most, $14k.

Thanks but its a bit out of my way and budget... but at least I now know what it does cost... good starting place... thanks

They do excellent work in Rocky Point, Mexico & it's very cost effective!  I was there 4 years ago, with a friend from Buckeye, AZ.  1998 Foretravel, 40 foot DP, 2 color paint job, for $4,000 per color!  Still looks great.  A lot of competition there!  

I've heard from others the prices and quality of the work done here are very good but this information is 9 years old.

Navarro's in Los Algodones Mexico.  
Contact Navarro at 928-343-2750, or enrique@navarrosshop.com 

Squire --

I had a similar issue with vinyl decals drying-out and cracking on my previous 2007 Damon Astoria.  I learned vinyl decals have a life expectancy of 7-10 years so achieving 12+ years of life without cracking was quite good.  The only place in the greater Houston area that would take on the job of removing the cracked decals and replacing with painted graphics was RV Masters.  The cost estimated to remove the cracked vinyl and re-paint was as astonishing $9000 for a coach with a trade-in value of $45,000.  The majority of the $9,000 cost was the labor at $140 per hour to remove the cracked vinyl.  RV Masters estimated 50 - 60 hours required to remove the cracked vinyl graphics.   The $9,000 cost to replace the graphics is what led me to trade a nearly 13 year old motorhome for a very nice, very gently used 2016 Newmar Ventana LE.   

The work required to remove vinyl graphics is a little slow and requires patience. But it is a job that almost anyone can do or get teenager to do for you at a much lower cost than $60.00 +, simply heat the vinyl very gently, starting at one corner and lifting the vinyl slowly and evenly fanning the heat gun left to right, back and forth. Just a little practice and almost anyone can do it. The adhesive that is left behind can be removed with denatured or rubbing alcohol. Once off then new can be applied or painted on if you really want those graphics, your choice. If you want decals back on, take the coach to a graphics shop, if the shop is worth its salt, they can make exact duplicates, or change colors at this time for a newer look.

I peeled our last coach and re-decal'd it from miscellaneous RV decals I found on EBay. Took me 8 hours to scrape a 31' Class C, clean it up, probably took me another 6 hours to buff the oxidation off the gel coat to hide where the gel coat hadn't seen UV for 15 years. I ended up doing my own thing with the decals, the factory design pattern was ugly and dated. This also saved me a lot of money. The decals purchased on EBay might have cost $300.00, when it was done it took 10 years off of the coach's appearance. 

My first coach had horribly cracked and faded decals, plus the gelcoat was dulled, tried many labor intensive options, none were satisfying, my second coach had been wrapped by a previous owner, it looked great.  Sort of.  From anywhere beyond 10' it was great, but knowing the seams, I saw them all the time.  It was fairly easy to 'repair', The day the PO brought me the coach, he ended up catching something that scraped a section.  He had gotten some of the material used, so I was able to lay over a fresh section.  Obvious prep work beforehand.  

Our current coach was repainted at Mikes mentioned in this thread, it was a big job, removing exterior arts and taking all paint off, starting from scratch.  Beautiful job!  Glad it wasn't my bank account that the check was written on.  He had the coach on the shop for a month!