lylefikse

Over the Air Channels

Our motorhome has a razor OTA TV antenna.  I use a Dish network Wally receiver.  When I scan for OTA channels directly on the TV I am getting 18 channels in my current location.  When I scan thru the Wally I am only getting 3 channels.  I have the adapter for the OTA reception and am hooked up to the razor.  This has not worked right since we got this motorhome.  Suggestions?  Could my adapter be faulty or am I not actually hooked up to the razor.  How would you track this down?   

Yesterday I called Dish and asked about this problem and their rep told me the OTA adapter reduces the signal so what I am getting might be it.  She said if I get anything the adapter is working correctly.  I did not like this answer so I took the adapter off my hopper and tried it in the Motorhome with the Wally.  Wouldn't you know it, 10 channels.  Only ABC missing.  Now I am on a quest to find a better OTA coaxial to USB converter than dish sells.  Any suggestions?  Will the adapter for a video game work on a TV?  Not sure about all this hertz and gigga stuff.

Can you just run the OTA antenna to your TV through a second signal input? Then you can select the input through your TV's remote control. I'm assuming that you are connecting the Dish receiver to your TV through an HDMI cable, which should leave the coax input free. Any type of converter is likely going to affect the signal to some degree.

Doing a little reading online, it looks like some of the Dish OTA usb adapters get hot while in operation, and then they stop working. Maybe you have a similar problem?

Also, have you confirmed that the Razor antenna has its power feed turned on while you're doing all this?

Lyle, arn't RV tvs fun. After re reading this a couple of times and something I read on page 76 of your owners guide. "All television source selection is achieved through the input selection mode." Does this mean on a separate box? Wish I could see the setup. On my older coach we have the BOB Box of many Buttons. You have to manually select over the air/antenna, or cable or satellite for the input. After that is selected you have to change the input using the settings in the tv. Basically antenna or cable. Then do a channel search.

Bill

12 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

arn't RV tvs fun.

YUP, that's why guys like you and me modify/tinker with them so they operate in a fashion that actually makes sense :P

Problem solved!!!  I went to an upscale electronics store in Sioux City and asked about my problem.  They said the first generation OTA adapter from Dish network was junk from the start.  This is the one I had and it did get very hot.  Since we lost our first motorhome to an RV fire, not the best choice for us.  They told me Dish has come out with a 3rd generation adapter that is much better.  $85 later it is installed and voila' 18 channels.  Same as going straight to the TV with the razor.  Now my OTA channels are in my Dish Network guide and I can record them off the OTA antenna.  That allows recording 2 things at the same time.  One off OTA and one off the satellite tuner.  If there are shows on two networks we like that air at the same time we now have the flexibility to record both.  Sweet! 

On 4/24/2019 at 6:36 PM, WILDEBILL308 said:

Lyle, arn't RV tvs fun. After re reading this a couple of times and something I read on page 76 of your owners guide. "All television source selection is achieved through the input selection mode." Does this mean on a separate box? Wish I could see the setup. On my older coach we have the BOB Box of many Buttons. You have to manually select over the air/antenna, or cable or satellite for the input. After that is selected you have to change the input using the settings in the tv. Basically antenna or cable. Then do a channel search.

Bill

I agree Bill, that is what I must do at home with my Dish setup also; OTA channels will not be recognized by the Hopper but when I attach the OTA antenna cable directly to the TV they are recognized. When I asked the installer for the USB to coax adapter he grudgingly went his truck and got one, then said "are you sure you really want this?".

The adapter is called (right off my invoice) SATDSHOTAHOPPER3 OVER-THE-AIR ANTENNA ADAPTER FOR HO. 

Hope that helps.  Cost with tax was $85.55