lindalyles1

Driving Improvement

Just purchased Thor Axis 27.7 and do not like the way it drives.  Seems to "float" when going over bumby road, seems to have play in the steering and rattles like an old school bus.  Is there any way to improve this?  Or do I need to just get used to it?  Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks!

LindaLyles1,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

What year/how many miles on your coach?

What tire pressure are you using/what is that PSI based on?

Linda. Welcome to the Forum!

Is it used or new?  Did you drive it before purchase and if so, how did it handle then?

Brett beat me!

4 hours ago, LindaLyles1 said:

Just purchased Thor Axis 27.7 and do not like the way it drives.  Seems to "float" when going over bumby road, seems to have play in the steering and rattles like an old school bus.  Is there any way to improve this?  Or do I need to just get used to it?  Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new RV.  Not sure I understand "float". How many miles have you driven it? Have you driven outher gas RVs? 

How it drives is often a very subjective thing. Something to try. Like Carl and Brett said correct tire pressure is important. You should load the coach like you are going on a trip. full water full fuel, propane.  Next take it to a local Cat scale and get the weight. There are benefits of getting the "corner weights" but axle weights will work for now.When you set the tire pressure (I always add 10% for a safety margin) You should get a better drive. You may need to have a All wheel alignment done. You will need the coach loaded for this to. When you have the alignment done you can have them check the play in the steering. Big rigs will have more play in the steering than your car. 

"rattles like an old school bus" If they are inside you can lessen or eliminate most of them by using cushioning material between dishes and whatever is making noise. Sometimes it is helpful to have someone track down what is making noise while you drive.

Let us know what you find out.

Bill

I hope Lynda comes back to see the answers given and answers the questions asked so that the answers can be more specific to her MH. 

If she's got a Ford F-53 chassis, moving the links on the sway bar closer to the axle is the cheapest and quickest way to improve the stability of that chassis - replacing the bushings with the polyurethane type is a must afterwards because of the increased pressures on them.  It made a world of difference on my MH and I highly recommend it.  Before the change, I felt top heavy going around the slightest curves and afterwards, it rock solid.

Moonwink.

I looked at it on Web and was impressed, by what it had as standard equipment.  It's a want to be Trek! :P  

When desiring handling improvement, the first place to start is a total vehicle alignment-assuming tires fairly new and in good(worn evenly) condition. A competent alignment technician should closely inspect all the steering mechanism prior to performing the actual alignment, and replace worn parts-including shocks/struts first. Most any HDT repair shop will have a total alignment machine.

We own the 2015 Axis 24.1 I know what your experiencing, we installed the Hellwig Sway bars from Amazon. Front 7085 Rear 7718 not sure if those are what your RV would need but I can tell you it was a game changer, also I would recommend a steering stabilizer shock, many to choose from just get rid of the stock one, I would recommend a Bilstine. 

All the great info that was posted defiantly add those to the equation.. 

Enclosed are a couple pics showing the differences.

Hope all this helps.. and also Welcome to FMCA! 

ec00cf63-32c1-402c-9a60-1b207eb3be01.jpg

f85163e6-4713-41ea-ad8d-11fa1fb3772b.jpg

Edited by ramseypk

F430040

It is now a 2.5 year old thread....we get lots of newbies every week.  I enjoy reading old threads with new answers....I might learn something, even after 54 years!!  

ramsaypk....keep em coming.

Thanks my sentiments exactly, My thoughts are if you purchase a particular year RV you search older blogs for relevant information.. 

Manholt you make it up to AK look us up.

On 9/21/2021 at 5:08 PM, ramseypk said:

Poly would probably make a big difference and I must admit I didn’t even think of changing them prior to a complete swap..

See now you have a new project to look forward to. This is a link to a post I did a while ago.

Bill